Is it Compulsory?

JRT

Featured Posts

By the middle of next week I should be the proud owner of a narrowboat. I was just wondering about the rules of narrowboat ownership though and wanted to ask if it is compulsory to do a YouTube vlog of the trials and tribulations of narrowboat ownership and a video diary of my travels? I ask because it seems, judging by their prevalence on that platform, that it most definitely is compulsory. Some on YouTube are very good, some less so and some banal in extreme and I'm worried that, if I do have to do one, mine will fall into the latter category. So, is it compulsory? ?

• Happy 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, JRT said:

By the middle of next week I should be the proud owner of a narrowboat. I was just wondering about the rules of narrowboat ownership though and wanted to ask if it is compulsory to do a YouTube vlog of the trials and tribulations of narrowboat ownership and a video diary of my travels? I ask because it seems, judging by their prevalence on that platform, that it most definitely is compulsory. Some on YouTube are very good, some less so and some banal in extreme and I'm worried that, if I do have to do one, mine will fall into the latter category. So, is it compulsory? ?

Its certainly not compulsory but if you fancy having a go, go for it. Just dont expect much support from some of the curmudgeonly old farts on here.

But if you do one dont complain about criticism, even if it isnt particularly constructive.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Its certainly not compulsory but if you fancy having a go, go for it. Just dont expect much support from some of the curmudgeonly old farts on here.

But if you do one dont complain about criticism, even if it isnt particularly constructive.

The highlighted bits are so true. You might make a lot of money, which is the main reason Youtube vlogs are popular.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Ignore the others, I'll tell you the truth and no mistake: -

YES, yes you must.

In case you haven't picked up the essentials from watching others, here are the basics ......

a) Don't bother with an external microphone, everyone loves straining their ears attempting to decipher your muffled, soft murmurings.

B ) If you aren't just filming on your phone and have bought a rip-off Go-Pro'ish from Wish.com, don't waste money on a wind muff as everyone prefers to hear the reality of you boating in a gale.

M) Use terminology like "Driving the barge" and "Parking" at every opportunity. Make sure you pronounce "Winding" as "Winding" and not "Winding"

3) After several months cruising astound everyone at how little you've learnt by needing to be rescued on the tideway when your engine stops.  The call out engineer tells you the diesel tank is empty, and then does the same to your wallet.

+ When there's two of you being filmed, ensure one of you doesn't allow the other to finish what they're saying.  Interruption to show up your partner is always popular. 

- No need to lock the camera off, just wave it around so everyone gets to see as much out off focus background as possible.

Finally! Practice your dead flat intonation to match your blinkless stare, and remember there's no need to view it before up loading,  It'll be fine!

Good tips...??

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

YES, yes you must.

In case you haven't picked up the essentials from watching others, here are the basics ......

a) Don't bother with an external microphone, everyone loves straining their ears attempting to decipher your muffled, soft murmurings.

B ) If you aren't just filming on your phone and have bought a rip-off Go-Pro'ish from Wish.com, don't waste money on a wind muff as everyone prefers to hear the reality of you boating in a gale.

M) Use terminology like "Driving the barge" and "Parking" at every opportunity. Make sure you pronounce "Winding" as "Winding" and not "Winding"

3) After several months cruising astound everyone at how little you've learnt by needing to be rescued on the tideway when your engine stops.  The call out engineer tells you the diesel tank is empty, and then does the same to your wallet.

+ When there's two of you being filmed, ensure one of you doesn't allow the other to finish what they're saying.  Interruption to show up your partner is always popular. 

- No need to lock the camera off, just wave it around so everyone gets to see as much out off focus background as possible.

Finally! Practice your dead flat intonation to match your blinkless stare, and remember there's no need to view it before up loading,  It'll be fine!

and also

Make sure to film on an iPhone and tell us all about what the phone is and how you 'edit' the vlog ....

and, most importantly, film in portrait mode.

12 hours ago, JRT said:

So, is it compulsory? ?

YES - However, in your case, I would prefer to see a vlog that is entirely MIMED. 

If you do this for me I guarantee at least one subscription.

Edited by alistair1537
missed a word

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

YES, yes you must.

Mostly spot on but your pronunciation of winding is so far of the mark it's almost risible 

;)

I don't think vlogs and documentaries would be the same without some level of implied jeopardy. I remember watching a programme about , of all things, people driving Eddie Stobart lorries. I honestly thought it was a p..s take ! This bloke was driving a lorry over the Severn bridge and was banging on about how dangerous it can be. If you want a proper narrowboat/engine vlog go to Youtube and watch "Starting a Bolinder" Could watch it over and over.

• Horror 1