Widebeam lining quants

Robert.80

Featured Posts

Hello, 

I'm new to forums and boating so please go easy on me, I'm about to purchase a 60 x 12 canal boat sailaway and was wondering if anybody can help with the lining. I plan to use 9-12mm m/r mdf and need to know how many sheets (8x4) I will need approximately and which orientation is best to minimise waste. 

Thank you in advance 

Most people would use Plywood and line sheets out length ways so you have less joining edges to cover(trim) every 8ft. If that makes sense, you don’t see many boats that go vertical so you would have trim every 4ft. Would look too bitty.

Edited by PD1964

Surely you can work out how many sheets from cabin dimensions. You have given the overall length but we don't know how much of that is cabin. But I would say 8x4 sheets longways for hull and cabin sides. Each cut down to around 3 ft width depending on exact hull and cabin side height. You might also want to cut some of the 8ft sheets shorter so that the joints lie behind bulkheads to minimise the number of visible joints. For the ceiling lining putting the panels cross ways would avoid the need for longitudinal joints.

The above applies to plain sheets which are going to have some sort of applied finish. If you are using profiled mdf like that below or veneered ply/mdf then pattern/grain direction will also be a consideration.

IMG_9524-600x600.jpg

Edited by David Mack

Spawn of the Devil, MDF, on a boat. Impossible to glue properly and will change shape no matter how waterproof the crib sheets say.

You presumably want the veneered finish, better to rough line out in 10mm ply and add glued on 4mm veneered ply where you want it after the bulkheads and other bits are fitted.

5 minute polyurethane cartridge wood glue is your friend, makes it easy, no screws showing.

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've used green waterproof MDF in my bathroom to build a counter. It hasn't moved perceptibly at all over the last 13 years or so. However, for lining out the cabin I would do as others say and use ply.

Mine is 20 years old, but I wouldn't use it for cladding the hull sides for the reasons I gave earlier, ie. very difficult to fix to

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mine is 20 years old, but I wouldn't use it for cladding the hull sides for the reasons I gave earlier, ie. very difficult to fix to

The kitchen cupboards from B and q lasted three months, my bathroom panel was blotting paper. 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The kitchen cupboards from B and q lasted three months, my bathroom panel was blotting paper. 

God your boat must be damp. I used B&Q kitchen doors and draws making plywood carcasses and they lasted 16 years, when I changed them the surface lamination was coming adrift

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

God your boat must be damp. I used B&Q kitchen doors and draws making plywood carcasses and they lasted 16 years, when I changed them the surface lamination was coming adrift

probably as a result of too much (blood ?), sweat and tears on her Ladyship's behalf.  :rolleyes:

................  or of course she could be referring to her ocean cruising days when everything gets well wet most of the time.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No, the cupboard under the sink was washed with soapy water once or twice, it caught in the ledge of the bottom spar and soaked in, both inside and outside damaged. 

Not sure that mdf was used sixteen years ago......

Edited by LadyG

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No, the cupboard under the sink was washed with soapy water once or twice, it caught in the ledge of the bottom spar and soaked in, both inside and outside damaged. 

Not sure that mdf was used sixteen years ago......

They were fitted 18 years ago, but I changed them 2 years ago. The ceiling was fitted probably 22 or 23 years ago, has been wet due to the engine room hatch not being sealed properly and is showing no sign of aging at all.