Interested in Houseboats in Amsterdam

Demetheus

Featured Posts

Hi gents,

A posssssssible new owner on a house boat here. Pandemic has hit my sentiments hard and now i just want to go ahead with what i am dreaming about and yolo a bit. Gonna stay in one for awhile and eventually make a bed and breakfast?

So i am looking at this https://www.funda.nl/en/koop/amsterdam/huis-87692915-keizersgracht-22-k/

Stunning location but the barge is a bit old. The seller even gave a insurance for 1 time check so i suspect it might be worth to investigate if i simply get a new barge built to save any future headaches. I am also interested in something more of a contemporary design (the insides)

I spoke to a few shipyards/architects and i know that i must keep to current barge design. And i am quoted about 800 euros per sqm approximately. Is this the market rate? Also i would love any advice what to look out for, or any experts that you can recommend around the Amsterdam area.

Thanks guys! Great site!

• Greenie 1

Welcome to the forum. We are mainly about U.K. waterways, but we do have some members who have experience of barging on European waters, so I hope that you will get some helpful comments.

€485.000 is an astronomically enormous price, especially for a rather knocked-about looking 1924 hull. It gives the living area as 70 sq.m, but doesn't seem to give the length or beam overall - it looks to be about 22m long and possibly 4-5m beam. I can only imagine the price is because it's a woonschepen (houseboat conversion) with a residential berth in the centre of Amsterdam. You'd obviously have to have an independent survey on something like that, especially with the sums invovled.

I'd whole-heartedly endorse KenK's recommendation of the DBA. You give your location as Amsterdam - is that your permanent address? Are you Dutch? You'll be able to get answers to all the ancilliary questions like that on the DBA site in addition to the various regulations concerning the boat.

Tam

Cor. that's a lot of money. Brilliant location, hard to think of anywhere nicer, Paris maybe, London, all rare and expensive locations. I know little or nothing about the prices of boats in Amsterdam but I reckon I can hazard a guess that the actual boat is perhaps worth 80 - 90,000 Euros or so tops, give or take a wide margin depending on a hull survey. It has no engine, steering gear or boaty stuff at all and as Tam says, its a knocked about hull of some age.  Its the mooring where the value lies but tread carefully.