Any recommendations for North West boatyards to fit seacock?

Featured Posts

My boat has a RN DM2 which is skin-tank cooled. For the most part this is fine but following significant overplating of the hull sides and years of blacking, it's no longer enough to cut it on the more extended river cruises such as the Thames (our last river trip resulted in draining several calorifiers of water over the side just to keep the temperature down).

In order to assist with the cooling, I'm fitting a heat exchanger setup to use water drawn from the river. I can install all parts of the system myself except for the raw water inlet seacock which will need professional installation whilst the boat is out of the water. Can anyone recommend any boatyards in the North West that would do this kind of work? I'm currently based in Liverpool Marina until the Summer. The boatyard here are great but the price to use their lift is eye-watering compared to some of the slipways/dry docks at your average narrowboat marina.

Many thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Try the folks at Northwich Dry Dock.  If they can't do, they will know someone who can.

http://www.northwichdrydock.com/contact/

P.S. I wouldn't put them in the average narrowboat marina category though.

They can do it but you need to get to the lift first and who knows when that will be.

I don't know what sort of raw water pump you are fitting but if it is self priming you could always just stick the inlet over the side until you find somewhere cheap to do it. I have put a seacock in just by letting the boat dry out on tidal water (the Thames) you only have to drill a hole for the skin fitting with a hole saw and one can easily be do it over one tide. In fact I have welded a patch on a boat by grounding over a tide, digging a hole and then welding a patch on. There must be somewhere to dry out somewhere safely on the Mersey. I have also done it by tilting the boat but that only works if the inlet or outlet is fairly near the waterline.

• Greenie 1

Wigan drydock is £200 for the week if you have the skills and tools to do it yourself.  Might as well do the blacking while you're in there too.

Admittedly if you think part of the problem is too much blacking over the skintank then scraping that bit off to bare steel before doing the blacking might save you the bother of fitting the raw water system at all.