Thames - Water Points. Changes to drinking and bulk water supply points.

Paringa

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

They always want it from the kitchen tap for some reason.

I was led to believe that the Kitchen tap is (normally) the 1st tap in the incoming supply so is not subject to any contamination from the actual house plumbing / homeowner.

Water tested ther is the actual 'quality' of the water in the mains.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was led to believe that the Kitchen tap is (normally) the 1st tap in the incoming supply so is not subject to any contamination from the actual house plumbing / homeowner.

Water tested ther is the actual 'quality' of the water in the mains.

The downstairs toilet cistern is first in line in our house followed by the hand basin next to this toilet. Dangerous living.

On 24/03/2021 at 15:50, Paringa said:

Not seen one yet myself to confirm, but this is believed to be the wee beastie...

Pipe Interrupters Type DC257 - Arrow Valves

DN20F. The link above has a couple of installation and use docs if you are interested.

dsc09303_2_1.png

We did come across this over the summer in a few locations.  The feedback from the lock keepers was that they have been a resounding failure and that individuals are making modifications. From memory the fitting could not take the water pressure from the standpipe so we had to only turn the tap on a little so all very slow.

11 minutes ago, PeterF said:

The downstairs toilet cistern is first in line in our house followed by the hand basin next to this toilet. Dangerous living.

This should not be the situation. BUT lots & lots of the old regs have now gone down the drain. EU kit, no overflows, & poor manufacture of kit from the PRC. So nothing uprises me now. 

Hot & Cold could be any way around, I have been told that this is due to the large no of Polish plumbers we now have in the construction industry. No idea if that is the reason 

On 14/10/2022 at 19:41, oboat said:

Hot & Cold could be any way around, I have been told that this is due to the large no of Polish plumbers we now have in the construction industry. No idea if that is the reason 

In the houses I visited in the 1970's there seemed to be a 50:50 split as to which way round the taps were, so I think the Polish Plumbers reason is wrong (I was tempted to say, doesn't hold water!).

When we moved into our house some 40 years ago, it had its originsl 1938 plumbing, with the kitchen taps Hot= left, and the bathroom basin and bath taps Cold = left 

A friend's son who works for the local water company says that they have found that the new, supposedly water-saving, WC tanks where the overflow discharges directly into the pan rather than via an external warning (overflow) pipe, have actuslly led to increased waste, as the existence of a faulty valve  is more likely to go undetected. 

On 14/10/2022 at 19:48, David Mack said:

and it is the mains water they want to test

We had an Anglian Water man knock on the door just before lockdown - randomly testing. he ran the kitchen cold tap for 60 seconds then filled about six previously sealed 0.2 l containers.

Came back next day in a panic - our water had (just) detectable levels of lead - eventually (after checking the street, the garden and inside the house) it was a single joint made with the wrong sort of solder some years previous - I'm not convinced it was a health hazard but having had the joint replaced the lead level is now "not measurable"

8 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

A friend's son who works for the local water company says that they have found that the new, supposedly water-saving, WC tanks where the overflow discharges directly into the pan rather than via an external warning (overflow) pipe, have actuslly led to increased waste, as the existence of a faulty valve  is more likely to go undetected.

The traditional British cistern had a syphon flush, so could not drain down of its own accord. As part of EU harmonisation we were allowed to fit the European style of flush valve which is in the bottom of the cistern. As the cistern empties the valve is supposed to reseal, but if it doesn't then it will continuously dribble into the pan.  The traditional British type weren't known as 'waste preventers' for nothing.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The traditional British cistern had a syphon flush, so could not drain down of its own accord. As part of EU harmonisation we were allowed to fit the European style of flush valve which is in the bottom of the cistern. As the cistern empties the valve is supposed to reseal, but if it doesn't then it will continuously dribble into the pan.  The traditional British type weren't known as 'waste preventers' for nothing.

But then I've seen outside overflows run for days or even weeks, at least if it is running into the pan the householder can see that water is being wasted every time they visit the loo.

Keith

Returning to the original subject of this thread, I've just returned from a trip on the Thames as part of the crew of the Narrow Boat Trust's Nuneaton & Brighton delivering solid fuels.

We went upstream as far as Radcot Bridge  returning downstream to join the Wey Navigation. As these particular water points are a pain to use, as was the previous attempt at complying with the ''new'' regs using ABVs, I was interested to see that most water points now seem to be without any anti back flow measures at all.

Keith

Indeed, as predicted, every water point with the backflow device fitted is either: Adapted with a wrapping of tape; is removable to get to the standard tap fitting; or sat at the bottom of the river...

The Cat5 towers are at Cleeve and Abingdon. Not sure if they are a "success" as it has all gone quiet on their installation elsewhere. Still, it has been only 2 years.

16 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

In the houses I visited in the 1970's there seemed to be a 50:50 split as to which way round the taps were, so I think the Polish Plumbers reason is wrong (I was tempted to say, doesn't hold water!).

When we moved into our house some 40 years ago, it had its originsl 1938 plumbing, with the kitchen taps Hot= left, and the bathroom basin and bath taps Cold = left 

We have just removed the original lead pipe work C.I. bath and the brass bath taps from our 1916 built house in London. The brass taps were as good as the day they were put in.
Also gone is the Gal Tank in the loft, also a bad move, but convenient.????????? 
Thats correct, the overflow should be over a doorway if poss. Failing that in an inconvenience location.
The term for a WC cistern was a WWP. Wast Water Preventer.
The new WWP's don't seem to be as repairable as the old.
My next job.

Edited by oboat