Thames - Water Points. Changes to drinking and bulk water supply points.

Paringa

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This just came up on Facebook 

image.png.0edfc3a1db844a7aa84b6c26ce195598.png

Which is about what I'd expect from FB. Picture with no context.

The right hand tap has no adaptor, no risk of contamination, the incoming supply is good = fit to drink

The left hand tap has two piggy backed adapters - no means of knowing what was there earlier = could be contaminated

If the one way valve upstream is doing it's job, contamination on the left tap should have not reached the "T" inside the pipe therefore can not affect the right hand tap

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

But still not a good idea. What happens if you get a leak?

Bad things happen if you get a leak. 

There is a way around it which is to fit a timer which will cut the water after X minutes regardless what the consumer is but that could interfere with washing machines and people who like long showers. 

The boat I was referring to is in fact registered as a houseboat but they still had to re-do the fittings between boat and pontoon bollard tap. 

Edited by magnetman

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that inner tube and jubilee clip works well 😀.

I can also say that I saw more than one tap adapted with duct tape but can't speak for how effective this is.

However, as one boater I bumped into at the water point found - if you use a spanner to (temporarily of course!) remove the fitting in question the screw thread remaining on the tap is a larger diameter than the standard CRT one. He eventually gave up and was going to continue down the river until near a B&Q!

Most of the fittings are loosened so you just remove it, fill your builders bucket, place other bucket under tap, decant first buckey into water tank with funnel, repeat &c then when finished put the fitting back on. 

Hoses are not the way ahead here. 

Using a bucket allows one to engage in a physical level (15kilograns each time) with the water which one is so incredibly dependant on. 

• Haha 1

I used the Elsan at Cropredy services last week and the cassette rinsing tap in there had one of these devices. The water flow from the tap (turned full on) was just drips, utterly and completely inadequate for rinsing the cassette. 

The drinking water 40ft away on the apron was fine though. Would have been perfect for rinsing the cassette except another boat had his hose on it, but it was sorely tempting and I'm sure other boaters will have done this.

Strange how attempts by people in suits to improve perceived problems which are actually non-problems, lead to the opposite effect to that intended. 

I actually had two cassettes to empty and the Elsan without a working rinse hose was so disgusting that I only emptied one, which had to remain remain un-rinsed. Thanks Water Research Council, or whoever redrafts the regs from time to time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can't be definitive about this but :

last year I did a Thames run for two months.

Towards the end I was getting horrible acid indigestion and reflux.

It got worse and I was chewing my way through boxes of Rennies. 

When I left the boat the problem carried on until one night I was ambulanced to hospital with a bleeding ulcer.

I stayed there for a week while it settled and tests concluded I was suffering from helicobacter pylori...a nasty but common infection often caught from contaminated water. It is the most common cause of ulcers.

As I said....not definitive...but timing wise I have my suspicions. 🤔

Edited by Bobbybass

22 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

When I left the boat the problem carried on until one night I was ambulanced to hospital with a bleeding ulcer.

I stayed there for a week while it settled and tests concluded I was suffering from helicobacter pylori...a nasty but common infection often caught from contaminated water. It is the most common cause of ulcers.

And all beacuse some selfish boater had smashed the anti-syphon fittings off the tap allowing Thames river water to drain back into the supply pipe ............. ?

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And all beacuse some selfish boater had smashed the anti-syphon fittings off the tap allowing Thames river water to drain back into the supply pipe ............. ?

I don't think the anti-syphon fittings were there last year (EA were all sitting at home with their feet on the collective windowsill wondering how to spend their furlough payments...)

But WRT the helicobacter thing; this from t'internet "Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection occurs when H. pylori bacteria infect your stomach. This usually happens during childhood" (my italics). The article goes on to say that "may be passed from person to person through direct contact with saliva, vomit or fecal matter" (American so can't spell faecal) as well as  "H. pylori may also be spread through contaminated food or water".

It cites growing up in crowded conditions and/or a third world country as risk factors, although it stops short of labelling Surrey and Oxfordshire as the third world.

I generally find that, if I have to start taking buckets full of Rennie on a Thames Cruise, the best thing to do is lay off the pork pies and tinned lager. Others' experience may vary.

3 hours ago, Bacchus said:

I generally find that, if I have to start taking buckets full of Rennie on a Thames Cruise, the best thing to do is lay off the pork pies and tinned lager. Others' experience may vary.

Hmmm pork pies. You mean those pies made of delicious water-pastry but containing a disgusting ball of grey, gristly, fatty, mechanically recovered 'meat' in the centre? 

Yuk!!!

6 hours ago, MtB said:

Hmmm pork pies. You mean those pies made of delicious water-pastry but containing a disgusting ball of grey, gristly, fatty, mechanically recovered 'meat' in the centre? 

Yuk!!!

That will be the things. For some reason, whenever people come out for a "nice afternoon on the boat" they feel the need to bring the damn things.

Now if they took the trouble to go to Gawthorpe the butcher in Denby Dale it would be a completely different matter, not only "edible" but, in fact, completely delicious. I suppose it would be a 400 mile round trip though, which is a bit excessive.

As I said previously.....I was ok for about five week on the Thames.. couldn't feel better....but then became very ill with a helicobacter infection.... commonly caught from contaminated water. This was confirmed by hospital tests.

Interesting this article just appeared:

https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/food-drink/youtuber-feels-ill-after-catching-21709117

• 1 year later...

We filled up with water at Abingdon yesterday. There is now a new means of dispensing the water. A big tall structure that I think has a tank at the top that fills from the mains then drains through the pre attached hose thereby creating an air gap. There was certainly a tank filling noise when I turned on the tap and the water took about 20 seconds to start coming out of the hose. The pre attached hose was probably 5 or 6 metres long. We had to moor the boat blocking the canoe portage point so that the hose could reach our tank inlet. It wasn't a very quick filler but it's an improvement on how things were last year when water leaked out everywhere.  I don't know how things would have been if we attached our normal 20 metre hose reel.

I wonder about the quality of the water getting into our tank. We are very used to getting mains quality water from the taps in CRT land and we normally drink and cook with  water straight from the tank. But I wonder about the cleanliness of this new arrangement, is the tank through which the water has to flow clean enough?

IMG_20221009_112816sm.jpg

IMG_20221009_115237sm.jpg

Edited by Alway Swilby

I would like to think that as a provider of water CRT tests the supplies on a regular basis. It's a simple procedure. I suspect that they don't bother, after all what would they do if the discovered some supplies were contaminated .

I always run off at least the amount of water in the hose *2. I have noticed that in summer the water is not cold, suggesting the supply pipes are too near the surface.

I'm not sure if the new taps will be less hygienic, to my mind the best supply has a short run from the mains, with no tanks.

It is best to drink bottled water on board, imho.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would like to think that as a provider of water CRT tests the supplies on a regular basis. It's a simple procedure.

I always run off at least the amount of water in the hose *2. I have noticed that in summer the water is not cold, suggesting the supply pipes are too near the surface.

I'm not sure if the new supply will be less hygienic, to my mind the best supply has a short run from the mains, with no tanks.

Yes, I agree. But that is not possible with this new arrangement. It's on the Thames so it is the Environment Agency not CRT.

3 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

...But I wonder about the cleanliness of this new arrangement, is the tank through which the water has to flow clean enough?

I wouldn't be worried about the supply / tank, but would be more concerned about whether the free end of the hose has been used to clean Elsans etc. (So would probably try to disinfect and always run some water through before inserting into boat tank).

Trying to use this tap at Abingdon in the summer, it appeared to be a pumped supply controlled by a pressure switch to prevent excess pressure in the hose. It succeeded in making the supply pulse at about 1/2 litre every 2 seconds. On the return, it was giving a smooth supply but little more than a dribble and would only use a short hose. 

This meant that we obstructed the pump out, and that p****d off a boat who could not understand why I did not want a pump out hose over my boat.

Edit to add: I found a short piece of self amalgamating tape useful in dealing with the 'unmodified' taps with the holes. 

Edited by Ex Brummie

2 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Yes, I agree. But that is not possible with this new arrangement. It's on the Thames so it is the Environment Agency not CRT.

I am aware of that. How is it not possible to test water.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I wouldn't be worried about the supply / tank, but would be more concerned about whether the free end of the hose has been used to clean Elsans etc. (So would probably try to disinfect and always run some water through before inserting into boat tank).

I wash and disinfect  (Bleach is best) the last few metres if using  anything that might be contaminated . You can't be too careful.

On 05/09/2021 at 19:55, MtB said:

I used the Elsan at Cropredy services last week and the cassette rinsing tap in there had one of these devices. The water flow from the tap (turned full on) was just drips, utterly and completely inadequate for rinsing the cassette. 

The drinking water 40ft away on the apron was fine though. Would have been perfect for rinsing the cassette except another boat had his hose on it, but it was sorely tempting and I'm sure other boaters will have done this.

Strange how attempts by people in suits to improve perceived problems which are actually non-problems, lead to the opposite effect to that intended. 

I actually had two cassettes to empty and the Elsan without a working rinse hose was so disgusting that I only emptied one, which had to remain remain un-rinsed. Thanks Water Research Council, or whoever redrafts the regs from time to time. 

Why not get a bucket of water from your boat, better than leaving Elsan.

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

I would like to think that as a provider of water CRT tests the supplies on a regular basis. It's a simple procedure. I suspect that they don't bother, after all what would they do if the discovered some supplies were contaminated .

The EA on the Great Ouse seem to test the water as they closed 2 water points at the height of this summer due to contamination.