Navigation Closure Notice. Suez Canal

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, springy said:

AIS has it well on the way, without the flotilla of tugs and making 9 knots

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

springy

First they crash in to things, then they speed and damage the banks with their wash. Does the corporate ownership structure effectively make this a hire boat?

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

They need some of them weights you can swap about....

If there were weights 8' wide, 8'6" high and between 20 and 40' long that would be ideal.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, frangar said:

Probably something to do with the 9000 litres plus of ballast water thats been pumped out to try and get it free....

9000 tons of it!

I bet they started putting that back as soon as the ship was in the navigation channel.  The skipper , his Chief and the shore side management would not have been paying the cost of lugging it round if it was not needed for stability.

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

9000 tons of it!

I bet they started putting that back as soon as the ship was in the navigation channel.  The skipper , his Chief and the shore side management would not have been paying the cost of lugging it round if it was not needed for stability.

N

Apologies....I missed a couple of "0" off the number!! Agreed...Im wondering if they are refilling as they move....hence the list...not quite so important on the canal as the open sea.

According to marine traffic.com, the Ever Given is still heading for Rotterdam, expecting to arrive on Wednesday. So that presumably means the ship owners, operators, insurers etc are sufficiently confident that the ship is pretty much undamaged, and fit to go to sea. I rather thought they would want to inspect it first.

Just now, David Mack said:

According to marine traffic.com, the Ever Given is still heading for Rotterdam, expecting to arrive on Wednesday. So that presumably means the ship owners, operators, insurers etc are sufficiently confident that the ship is pretty much undamaged, and fit to go to sea. I rather thought they would want to inspect it first.

Its set to be checked/inspected when it gets to Great Bitter Lake.

Is it just me,  or can anyone else hear the sound of a million or so maritime lawyers, marine loss assessors and loss adjusters  tuning up their I -Pads whilst their clerks sharpen their quill pens?

It is an ill wind.....

N

Edited by BEngo

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the vessel is kept in the Great Bitter Lake until the legal and insurance liabilities are agreed and guaranteed. It is an ideal spot to arrest a vessel.

Howard

Edited by howardang

6 minutes ago, howardang said:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the vessel is kept in the Great Bitter Lake until the legal and insurance liabilities are agreed and guaranteed. It is an ideal spot to arrest a vessel.

Howard

Currently stationary in the lake.

Screenshot_20210329-204004_Chrome.jpg

A quick google says capacity 20,000 containers, currently carrying 18,300.

Wiki says 20,124 TEU (Twenty foot Equivalent Unit) so presumably forty footers count double.

springy

Edited by springy
add info

1 hour ago, springy said:

A quick google says capacity 20,000 containers, currently carrying 18,300.

Wiki says 20,124 TEU (Twenty foot Equivalent Unit) so presumably forty footers count double.

springy

yep, one Forty footer is 2 TEU

18,300 TEU laid end to end would stretch for 69 miles... 

I don't expect any recognition for my suggestion.

However, I did recommend they bounce the paddles and flush out the locks on The Panama Canal.  Sending a pattern of short waves across to lift it off the mud.  A well proven method which has lifted me off sand bars and coral reefs on The Trent & Misery on more than once upon a time. 

Interestingly though they haven't denied it.

? 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I don't expect any recognition for my suggestion.

However, I did recommend they bounce the paddles and flush out the locks on The Panama Canal.  Sending a pattern of short waves across to lift it off the mud.  A well proven method which has lifted me off sand bars and coral reefs on The Trent & Misery on more than once upon a time. 

Interestingly though they haven't denied it.

?

As an alternative, they could have got Krakatoa to erupt, which would send a wave round the globe :blink: