Navigation Closure Notice. Suez Canal

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Further to my earlier post bout the ship Lagik which did a similar thing at Sutton Bridge on the river Nene at Sutton Bridge when it broke its back on a falling tide and became a total loss. . Have a look at the MAIB report on here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c712de5274a429000010f/lagik.pdf

Some photos at pages 12 and 13.

It was caused because the ship was left suspended at the bow and the stern on an ebb tide resulting in a catastrophe. Fingers crossed indeed!

Howard

Edited by howardang

18 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Some of the replies to this tweet are hilarious..... thinking out of the box comes to mind.

Put 2 temporary dams across the canal, either side of the ship.  Then pump water into the dammed off section until the ship floats.  Reposition the boat in the centre of the channel and pump the water back out until the levels match.  Remove the dams and off you go. 

No need for unloading the ship at incredibly high cost.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Put 2 temporary dams across the canal, either side of the ship.  Then pump water into the dammed off section until the ship floats.  Reposition the boat in the centre of the channel and pump the water back out until the levels match.  Remove the dams and off you go. 

No need for unloading the ship at incredibly high cost.

Somebody mentioned something like that, only they thought about filling the water between the dams with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar..... that normally shifts most things.

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Somebody mentioned something like that, only they thought about filling the water between the dams with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar..... that normally shifts most things.

Just use what's there.  There's plenty enough water in the canal to float the ship, it just needs shifting around.  Just dam off a 0.5km section of canal and start pumping.  The more pumps the better.  I reckon with unlimited funds you could have the dams in place by this evening and a couple of thousand honda pumps running all night would have it floating by morning.  By tomorrow evening the ship could be back under way.  What am I missing here?

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

Did you see the path it traced before entering the Suez Canal?

1616589672746-giant-dick-pic-thumb.png

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdjzb/cargo-ship-suez-canal-dick-pic-ever-given

That would be while it manoeuvred around as it prepared to anchor while is waited for passage or for the pilot cutter to catch up wth it.

N

23 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I reckon with unlimited funds you could have the dams in place by this evening and a couple of thousand honda pumps running all night would have it floating by morning. 

It's taken CRT rather longer than that to get a couple of dams across the much smaller Aire and Calder.

25 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Just use what's there.  There's plenty enough water in the canal to float the ship, it just needs shifting around.  Just dam off a 0.5km section of canal and start pumping.  The more pumps the better.  I reckon with unlimited funds you could have the dams in place by this evening and a couple of thousand honda pumps running all night would have it floating by morning.  By tomorrow evening the ship could be back under way.  What am I missing here?

Salt! You're missing salt. We need sea salt, tonnes of it, that'll increase the buoyancy of the ship.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

So you're saying one end of the pump should be dropped into the Dead Sea, with the other end in the canal?

Great idea.... then afterwards the area could be turned into a health spa! I call that a win/win!

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Media reports put the blame on the wrong type of wind. Meanwhile rumour-mongers have had imagination over-drive- suggesting impending super market shortages from pet foods to toilet rolls!

Interestingly some pet foods are set to be in short supply in coming months. But not due to this event, some people are obviously incorrectly linking the actual cause, which is down to big growth in pet ownership during lock down.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/business/pets-at-home-announces-it-will-ration-cat-and-dog-food-in-lancashire-stores-3176581

Edit - to satisfy those that don't get that I was exaggerating for effect.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Interestingly some pet foods are set to be in short supply in coming months. But not due to this event, some people are obviously incorrectly linking the actual cause, which is down to exponential growth in pet ownership during lock down.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/business/pets-at-home-announces-it-will-ration-cat-and-dog-food-in-lancashire-stores-3176581

Exponential growth? really?  Is that because all the pets are unneutered and are each having litters of 4 more pets?

Not sure this is good enough to make out. In 1959 or 1960 when we went through they were trying to make it wider. There was no machinery of any sort and it was like how they must have built the pyramids. The sand was shoveled into baskets, then carried on their heads to the next level where the people were pulled up on a rope to the next level then same again to the top where they tipped the sand out and came back to the start. We used to have to carry a boat and Egyptian boatmen in case of problems so they could take a rope ashore where there were lots of bollards. One of the boatmen watching the work said “Irishmen” I only had a very basic brownie camera unfortunately.

3375F52B-712E-4990-BCF4-65F66E651AE6.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Not sure this is good enough to make out. In 1959 or 1960 when we went through they were trying to make it wider. There was no machinery of any sort and it was like how they must have built the pyramids. The sand was shoveled into baskets, then carried on their heads to the next level where the people were pulled up on a rope to the next level then same again to the top where they tipped the sand out and came back to the start. We used to have to carry a boat and Egyptian boatmen in case of problems so they could take a rope ashore where there were lots of bollards. One of the boatmen watching the work said “Irishmen” I only had a very basic brownie camera unfortunately.

3375F52B-712E-4990-BCF4-65F66E651AE6.jpeg

Well that's fine for removing the cut slope above water level and the first foot or so below water level, but how did they remove the rest down to ship depth?

16 hours ago, howardang said:

Let’s hope that the salvage attempt is successful with no major damage.  I remember what happened to a smaller ship -Lagik-which got stuck across the River Nene when it tried (and failed ) to turn at Sutton Bridge. It ended in disaster when the tide went down and she broke her back and had to be cut up in situ. A similar result for this vessel doesn’t bear thinking about! There are photos and an MAIB report available online for those who may be interested; just search for Lagik.

Howard 

I do wonder if blowing it up would be the cheapest option with what all the delays are costing

6 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Looking at the waterline she is sitting several mts higher than she should be

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Looking at the pictures there doesn't seem to be a fat lot of freeboard though - you could probably only raise the level a foot before it's over the bank. Could get messy