Navigation Closure Notice. Suez Canal

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

206 ships are now stranded, with worries they could be sitting targets should Iran take advantage.  Ships are being told to reverse out of the canal - what a nightmare.

Salvage company suggests the vessel should be unloaded to get the ship floating again. How the heck could that be possible? 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/25/suez-canal-blocked-ship-ever-given-stuck

Don't know where I read it; the pointy bit that's just been dug out, speared a whale while at sea, causing people to get extremely upset. The design seems to be a disaster. 

For once, I'm glad I'm not a Lloyds shareholder.

Edited by Jennifer McM

59 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Did you see the path it traced before entering the Suez Canal?

1616589672746-giant-dick-pic-thumb.png

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdjzb/cargo-ship-suez-canal-dick-pic-ever-given

Presumably at anchor, wandering around with breeze and current on the end of its chain. Got the order to go, motored round in a circle, then off into the canal.

Looks fairly normal to me - Unless I'm missing something?

• Greenie 1

Let’s hope that the salvage attempt is successful with no major damage.  I remember what happened to a smaller ship -Lagik-which got stuck across the River Nene when it tried (and failed ) to turn at Sutton Bridge. It ended in disaster when the tide went down and she broke her back and had to be cut up in situ. A similar result for this vessel doesn’t bear thinking about! There are photos and an MAIB report available online for those who may be interested; just search for Lagik.

Howard 

If I remember during the six days war the Israelis bulldozed a causeway across the canal to give access into African Egypt from  Asian Egypt to take the front line closer to Cairo.

Would not two slightly better constructed causeways either side and lots and lots of pumps allow the water level to be raised a metre or so under the Ever whatsit ?

On 24/03/2021 at 15:47, PeterScott said:

Canal Closed.

Alternative Route Available

L2503_20160708_0059s.jpg.05716f7f3142188ed4924b2a2146411e.jpg

L2503_20160708_0054s.jpg.198cc8cb79105084dfed96304bb08785.jpg

According to the Grauniad this morning, some ships are now heading for the alternative route round the Cape, taking a bet that the time and fuel to go around is less than the time to unstick the Ever Given and for the backlog of ships to clear.

On 24/03/2021 at 16:27, Tracy D'arth said:

There is a problem with this silly canal, its got no locks to flush the boats out. The Panama Canal has a much better arrangement locks and pull trains.

Why did they not build it with a slope?  Ferdinand De Lesseps French, phwep! what do they know about canals, its a ditch in the dessert!

It is actually on a slope, water from the Med runs into the Red Sea. Costs a fortune to use this canal.

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

The Captain has just radio'ed for extra emergency help.  Apparently his last cassette is full.

That's dire ☹️? They're going to need bigger cassettes! They could still be there at Christmas.

Got a copy of John's grandad's naval diary which covers around 1890-1900, he mentions liaising with other ships to pick up coal in that part of the world - bit like we do with Rick on fuel boat Auriga I imagine ?. One Christmas while they were going through the Suez Canal and being desperate for provisions, they came across a camel, the poor camel turned into their Christmas dinner ?

18 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

The Captain has just radio'ed for extra emergency help.  Apparently his last cassette is full.

It is a big ship, so the cassettes are bigger. Look to be plenty of them stacked on the deck. 40' long, 8' wide, 8'6" high. If they are all full now, that is going to be a long time moored up by the next Elsan.

Assuming they have already tried gathering the crew to one side and a bit of rocking, they need to send a big ship from the Mediterranean end to give the stern quarter a hefty bang.

Dropping a tyre over the side on rope should help minimise damage but at $400m peer hour in delayed global trade you can't worry about a bit of blacking.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

1533.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

What would CRT think if I started digging out the canal bank after running aground?

Will the digger disturb the water voles? Has this section of canal been designated an SSSI? Is the bankside going to be restored with coir rolls afterwards? Has a tow path closure notice been issued? Is there an alternative route set out and sign posted for walkers and cyclists?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The BBC have this graphic showing how the Ever Given might be freed. Somehow I doubt there is anything like this depth of water beneath the ship!

_117712970_evergiven_salvage_no_title640

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56523659

Option 1 appears to involve scuttling the tugs. I'm not convinced that is going to help.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Option 1 appears to involve scuttling the tugs. I'm not convinced that is going to help.

those are Tugmarines, you can see the big snorkels. famous for both pushing & pulling using slack lines from the same side of a vessel ;) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2