Any deep-water boaters?

Tigerr

Featured Posts

Bit of an off chance but I am currently looking at branching out into another area of boating. Specifically a motorboat suitable for inshore/deep sea fishing, and exploring the south coast.

I've blue water sailing experience but apart from mucking about with RIBs no experience pf these boats and what to look out for. Based on the learning curve of ownership in narrow boating I reckon a forum of people who do that sort of boating might be useful - anyone know of one? 

Got my eye on a Cygnus 25ft at the moment - it's based in Anglesey so the voyage to new moorings in Devon might be a bit of an eye-opener! 

ybw.com no brainer!

When I decided to give up sailing the high seas, somebody there recommended this place, and it was excellent advice.

I don’t go there much now as the political section is possibly worse than here. Although the ignore function is more effective.

26 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

Bit of an off chance but I am currently looking at branching out into another area of boating. Specifically a motorboat suitable for inshore/deep sea fishing, and exploring the south coast.

I've blue water sailing experience but apart from mucking about with RIBs no experience pf these boats and what to look out for. Based on the learning curve of ownership in narrow boating I reckon a forum of people who do that sort of boating might be useful - anyone know of one? 

Got my eye on a Cygnus 25ft at the moment - it's based in Anglesey so the voyage to new moorings in Devon might be a bit of an eye-opener! 

Is it by any chance 'Peter' at Gallows Point ?

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it by any chance 'Peter' at Gallows Point ?

Indeed. Pretty much what I have in mind. I expect though it will have gone by the time I get the 'other end' sorted out. But that's the sort of boat I want - I think. 

Thing is - what one thinks one wants in a new boat often turns out not to be what one actually wanted at all. As so many new NB owners will know. 

But it's the sort of thing - I had wanted a Crabber, but I think it's too much work for me as a single-handed sailor - so I thought I'd go for a strong seaworthy motorboat that will take the ground happily and has a snoozing area and plenty of deck well.  

I know you have sailing experoence but motor boating is very different.

A boat like that is (probably) only category C whilst a similar sized sail boat would be Cat B.

You mention 'deep-sea' fishing, I would not want to take it beyond about 5 miles off-shore, and that'd be only on a good forecast.

26' x 9' will not be very stable and would be very uncomfortable in a bit of chop, again, compared to a sail boat.

You say it would be a 'good voyage' from Anglesey to Devon (its 300 miles to Plymouth) and not one I'd take in a boat of that size and design.

It probably has a max cruise speed of ~5Knts and if single handed you'll struggle to get 40-50 miles per day, and thats without finding refueling facilities, or overnight moorings.

The Welsh coast (or even around Lands End) is pretty barren and not somewhere to break down having trusted an unknown engine.

It only weighs 3500kg so would go on a trailer and could be easily carried down to Devon, you could then 'get used to it' and trust it by using it locally.

Another alternative is to get a planing hull boat, which is far better for offshore fishing, allows you to get out to deep-water wrecks, but still get back if the weather turns.

I had no problem being 20 miles offshore in a 20 footer (in the right conditions) knowing I could get back in less than an hour.

You have a good enough budget to get a more suitable (in my opinion) boat for 'deep sea fishing'.

Three of our 'small' fishing boats I think SWMBO still holds the Anglesey record for Thornback Skate.

Sea Horse 6001.jpg

Sea Bird 6001.jpg

Sea Bird 3001.jpg

Wet Wet Wet 4001.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Useful input.  I had wondered about the speed with that hull and engine. And the suspicion it might wallow like a pig in anything but an estuary. Apparently though it is an established Cornish commercial fishing hull which is what made me think it might be OK for mucking about along the Devon coast and estuaries. 

I don't ever think I'd be out of sight of land - 5 miles is ample for me I think. At my age that's the open ocean! 

I think I will keep on researching. 

As you say - motorboats is a new world for my experience. 

1 minute ago, Tigerr said:

As you say - motorboats is a new world for my experience. 

The 'Cygnus' was a 'design' rather than a manufacturer and many / most were built be amateur 'home builders' (the one at Gallows Point was a 'local build' one.

On any home-built boat, I'd suggest havng a surveyor give it a good going over.

Have a look at something like these ;

Aquafish 185 (23', 28' and 9m cat also available), Lowestoft - Ad 112719 (findafishingboat.com)

Hardy are a good range of solid seaworthy boats - try and find one of those to look at