Do bigger fleas have lessser fleas?

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Meanwhile I'll get the injector pump off and properly serviced.

I would suggest you take the injectors along at the same time.  If the pump element or delivery valve has stuck the injection valves are likely to be in a similar way.

N

28 minutes ago, BEngo said:

I would suggest you take the injectors along at the same time.  If the pump element or delivery valve has stuck the injection valves are likely to be in a similar way.

N

I  had considered that, probably a good idea, it is possible that they are as old as the boat and from the look of things have never been out of the engine.

All of which takes me back to a time long ago when I was building a bit of kit to take photographs of fuel being injected into a swirl chamber, exposure times  something like 2,000,000ths of a second if I remember. Then there was the little machine to count the droplets down to 10 microns, and no I didn't do the counting, we'd got computers that could to do that by then. (And NOT a ZX81 snigger! snigger!) I've got a  left over partially failed false colour photograph of it somewhere,  I'll put it up if anyone wants to know what is going on in a combustion chamber.

• Greenie 2

I would be interested, please.  There are some black and white pictures of injection happenings in one of my (very old) diesel theory and practice books but they are not of top quality, presumably because photo to pring reproduction techniques in the thirties were still being developed.

N

On 28/03/2021 at 14:39, Tony Brooks said:

The other might be to do with making the engine insulated return once running and earth return when starting. It would not surprise me if it's not controlling the start battery negative to engine block.

I have seen that configuration on some Lister engine photos.

Having replaced an insulated return starter with an earth return one on Wyrd this is exactly what we did to ensure insulated return once the engine is running.

7 hours ago, BEngo said:

I would be interested, please. 

Bugger! That means:

(a) I gotta find the thing

(b) I gotta nudge my old XP desktop into life

(c) Get my old scanner to fire up and talk to the XP

(d) Get the picture onto a memory stick that the laptop won't eat.

Oooo! Me poor 'ol 'ed!

PS Just had an epiphany, just remembered, I'm pretty certain it is in my old briefcase ---- just got to find the briefcase . . .

'

It is a matter of serendipity that this image exists at all because it is a "fail". DIY colour printing kits were pretty new back then and this was one we didn't get right. I'm sure the "good" ones still exist somewhere in a dark archive.

The image is shown in false colours, the negatives, used for the droplet counting, were 35mm black and white film. The false colours represent variations in density and were used only for presentation purposes.

It is  interesting to note that the rendering is sensitive enough to pick up variations in air density in the swirling air shown in green. The bottom quarter is why this one was a reject.

1559717583_fuelplume02.JPG.b6a71ce8c622322b281b1059f006f0e2.JPG

• Greenie 2

• 1 month later...

So often people do not round off a request for help, my only excuse for not posting erlier is a serious health problem.

So here is the outcome, it turned out to be one of the "extra" solenoids but It took five different suppliers to provide four replacements that were unlikely to work. Fifty plus years in the enngineering game count for naught, it was my daughter that ran down the right one, don't ask me how, she is a b****y Arts Graduate . . .

And just to rub it in she correctly fitted the new one herself and has spun the engine over on the starter.

I did start to trace the wiring in the hope of getting my head around the what and why of it but the the starter attery positive found its way, (see below) into this before going anyway near the solenoids. At this point I blanched and gave up!

2037072267_RNfusebox.jpeg.2112444e86a36ef7f4935f52f8b99f2f.jpeg

Hope you are better now. Thanks for the feedback.

Just a comment. That looks like the domestic distribution/fuse board to me so the STARTER battery positive should go nowhere near it unless it is a single battery bank system. Even then its very bad practice because the starting cables should be as short as reasonably possible and that looks to be inside the boat.

Assuming its the thick black wire it goes into what looks suspiciously to em an AC switch which is not a good idea with maybe 150 amp starter current flowing although on a simple boat with modest electrics they have proven reliable enough for DOMESTIC use.

I hope that you have mistraced that cable and it is a twin battery ban boat otherwise you can probably look forward to more problem.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 1 month later...

A final update on this topic. Sadly terminal illness prevented me from further visits to the boat so the rescue people were called in. They found for us someone who had owned a Russell Newbery and in a couple of hours he had sorted out a dirty fuel supply including a previously missed shut off valve that was well clogged up.

Sadly I do not have the name of the man that quickly and so efficiently sorted out the problem so this is the best accolade I can give him.

Once the RN got a sniff of decent fuel it was "donking" away like nothing had ever happened.

• Greenie 3