Visiting our boats

STIG

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, jaime66 said:

Can you go out on the boat then ?just not stay on the boat 

You could take the risk - and then the marina could throw you out. They'd be more liable to the local council / whatever than you would be to the marina - plus it could damage their business generally.

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

You could take the risk - and then the marina could throw you out. They'd be more liable to the local council / whatever than you would be to the marina - plus it could damage their business generally.

Perfectly acceptable to go out on the boat for the day from Monday 29 March.  The hire companies can hire out their day boats from then for single households.  The only debatable bit is the travel to get there, as you a “recommended” to stay local.

Just to muddy the waters further somewhere on this forum there is a recent post regarding EA advice to boatowners that includes a link to a Gov UK site that states that the Stop at Home instruction changes to a Stay Local statement. Further it gives examples of what is considered local. It uses words such as ' within village' or 'part of town'. All in all if we follow that advice the vast majority of us should not visit our boats until mid April at the earliest . 

Edited by Slim

I plan to check the boat as soon as I can stay overnight, if things are delayed past the 12th of April I will probably do a day visit to start sorting things out.

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

Just to muddy the waters further somewhere on this forum there is a recent post regarding EA advice to boatowners that includes a link to a Gov UK site that states that the Stop at Home instruction changes to a Stay Local statement. Further it gives examples of what is considered local. It uses words such as ' within village' or 'part of town'. All in all if we follow that advice the vast majority of us should not visit our boats until mid April at the earliest . 

The government advice since the start of this lock down has been stay local within your village town or part of city and IIRC was applied to leisure/exercise as well.

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Several boats moving past mine yesterday. 

There will be quite a lot of 'creep'  I think there is some sense in 'creep', as we don't want some sort of invasion..

Anyway, the challenge trial of school openings will be far more significant from a disease control viewpoint.

Not that I am condoning any illegal boating activity, far from it. 

Anarchy is already burbling under the surface.

We now live in a society where woke rules, the genie is out of the bottle.

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, Rivelin said:

From: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/environment-agency-waterways-coronavirus-covid-19-update/environment-agency-waterways-coronavirus-covid-19-update-5-march-2021

8 March: Stay local (stay in the village, town or part of the city where you live)

29 March: Minimise travel

I bet very few people would minimise travel come 29th March with the rush to marina's! ..... :)  

25 minutes ago, Rivelin said:

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Anarchy is already burbling under the surface, unfortunatrly we now live in a society where woke rules. The genie is out of the bottle.

I thought woke types were supposed to be socially conscious? Surely the most socially responsible thing to do is follow the rules and prevent excess hospitalisations & deaths? Yet we have people rioting supposedly in the name of "freedom" and woke causes.

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and freedom of protest, but not when people are still dying of this pandemic en masse. Anti-lockdown protesters are as bad as the anti-vaxers in my opinion, and left wing conspiracy theories are as bad as right wing conspiracy theories.

Edited by blackrose

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I thought woke types were supposed to be socially conscious? Surely the most socially responsible thing to do is follow the rules and prevent excess hospitalisations & deaths? Yet we have people rioting supposedly in the name of "freedom" and woke causes.

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and freedom of protest, but not when people are still dying of this pandemic en masse. Anti-lockdown protesters are as bad as the anti-vaxers in my opinion, and left wing conspiracy theories are as bad as right wing conspiracy theories.

This thread started with a glimmer of positivism.... *sigh*

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

There will be quite a lot of 'creep'  I think there is some sense in 'creep', as we don't want some sort of invasion..

Anyway, the challenge trial of school openings will be far more significant from a disease control viewpoint.

Not that I am condoning any illegal boating activity, far from it. 

Anarchy is already burbling under the surface.

We now live in a society where woke rules, the genie is out of the bottle.

All I said was a few boats came past! Which according to the guidance is perfectly legal now. They may well have been liveaboards going to the water point. I am, tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.

And you can't have both a society where woke, whatever the hell that is, rules, and anarchy at the same time! They're a bit mutually exclusive. Certainly no anarchy in a society which has largely kept politely to a lockdown for a year, and definitely not a "woke" culture when protest, however genteel, is being made a criminal offence!

I would like a definition of "woke" though. I know it's an American phrase, a bit like our "political correctness", but if that's all it is, it's just another word that signals sloppy thinking, which is why no-one says "pc" any more.