Marina groups with multiple sites

IanD

Featured Posts

Are there any marina groups which allow boats to moor at different marina sites in the group, for example from one year to the next or to make a long one-way trip, assuming there's space available?

(already tried searching the forum but can't find search terms which return useful results)

Edited by IanD

Certainly Castle and Aquavista (formerly BWML) do this, within limits.  Off the top of my head it's up to 28 days on one of the other sites from your "home" marina, subject to availability.

If you want to be at a different marina for a year, just reserve a berth there before leaving your previous one.

Crossed with Matty ... must type faster (or less!)

I think all marina companies with more than one marina do, but with restrictions on length of stay, and certain dates you can't have (crick boat show, cropredy festival) and availability is obvious, if they can sell the slot why should they let you have it, this is particularly true for marinas south of Tring, where there is usually a waiting list.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

And Tingdene.

It's starting to look like all of the groups do!

Off topic

These guys are taking over the world, literally just driven past an old static caravan site in Saltburn and see they have taken it over, booted off al the old tatty 'vans and refurbishing the whole site.

On topic

The other option to explore is cruising clubs, which can give access to short term moorings under reciprocal agreements. (subject to availability and boat length).

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The other option to explore is cruising clubs, which can give access to short term moorings under reciprocal agreements. (subject to availability and boat length).

Yeah, the AWCC affiliated clubs do this, limited to a maximum of 2 weeks I think.

Ian seems to be after a longer period at other sites though.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, the AWCC affiliated clubs do this, limited to a maximum of 2 weeks I think.

Yes I was thinking longer term than a month, allowing a change of base without having to arrange for an existing mooring contract at one marina to stop and another one at a different marina to start.

Obviously if you moved from marina A to marina B you'd use up a space at B but free one up for hire at A, so it shouldn't make any difference to the marina so long as there are spaces available.

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Yes I was thinking longer term than a month, allowing a change of base without having to arrange for an existing mooring contract at one marina to stop and another one at a different marina to start.

Obviously if you moved from marina A to marina B you'd use up a space at B but free one up for hire at A, so it shouldn't make any difference to the marina so long as there are spaces available.

I suppose it depends if they are run as individual businesses or just branches of one company.

If any of them did offer this they'd have to be charging the same price at all marinas and that's not how it usually works - the different location and facilities alter the prices for each marina in the group.

35 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

To be honest I posted that for the benefit of of other members who may not be aware.

(Ian can't see my posts)

Whether or not the marina company makes a point of offering such a service, it does no harm to phone them up and ask! 

Many marinas are in any case happy to put you temporarily on someone else's mooring so long as they know when you're going to be leaving. It's a double payment for the same slot, so why wouldn't they? 

13 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Whether or not the marina company makes a point of offering such a service, it does no harm to phone them up and ask! 

Many marinas are in any case happy to put you temporarily on someone else's mooring so long as they know when you're going to be leaving. It's a double payment for the same slot, so why wouldn't they? 

Im pretty sure the terms for both our marina moorings stated we were not guranteed a particular pontoon, meaning in theory our spot could have been given to somebody else whilst we were out cruising. Their obligation was just to provide a spot of the same length when we returned. It was never invoked but they had the flexibility if they wanted to.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Im pretty sure the terms for both our marina moorings stated we were not guranteed a particular pontoon, meaning in theory our spot could have been given to somebody else whilst we were out cruising. Their obligation was just to provide a spot of the same length when we returned. It was never invoked but they had the flexibility if they wanted to.

I can't remember the details but there is a reason for this, something to do with the marina having to pay Council tax on a mooring if they allocate it exclusively to one boat

• Greenie 1