Beginner's guide to Morse cables needed (fitting to traditional control rods)

Featured Posts

I've got a RN DM2 and PRM160  in my engine room and control rods in the ceiling and I need to span the gap between the gearbox rod and the box. I've never owned a boat with Morse controls so I'm pretty ignorant of the cables and their various fittings and need some beginner's tips.
I'm thinking I will run the gearbox cable along the ceiling from the forward end of the, down the front bulkhead concealed inside some shiny copper tubing and back under the engine toward the box's operating arm. Quite how each end of the cable makes its connection I don't yet know - are there suitable off the shelf fittings? What sort of radius will these cables bend through?
And is there anything against doing a straight connection from rod to cable rather than amplifying the movement with a pivot lever - does the internal resistance of the cable need the extra leverage of a pivot arm?

Edited by starman

Why use cables? For an engine like a DM2 rod linkages all the way would be the way to go, possibly with a chain link down from the ceiling to the speed control on the engine.

In Graham Booth's Narrowboat Builders Book there are pictures showing how he linked trad controls to a Lister engine and PRM box.

Edited to add: previous thread:

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, starman said:

I've got a RN DM2 and PRM160  in my engine room and control rods in the ceiling and I need to span the gap between the gearbox rod and the box. I've never owned a boat with Morse controls so I'm pretty ignorant of the cables and their various fittings and need some beginner's tips.
I'm thinking I will run the gearbox cable along the ceiling from the forward end of the, down the front bulkhead concealed inside some shiny copper tubing and back under the engine toward the box's operating arm. Quite how each end of the cable makes its connection I don't yet know - are there suitable off the shelf fittings? What sort of radius will these cables bend through?
And is there anything against doing a straight connection from rod to cable rather than amplifying the movement with a pivot lever - does the internal resistance of the cable need the extra leverage of a pivot arm?

You have a PM.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Why use cables? For an engine like a DM2 rod linkages all the way would be the way to go, possibly with a chain link down from the ceiling to the speed control on the engine.

In Graham Booth's Narrowboat Builders Book there are pictures showing how he linked trad controls to a Lister engine and PRM box.

Edited to add: previous thread:

Thanks David, I don’t have a problem with the speed control set up as is but the gearbox would need an awkward set of linkages and potentially would reduce  access to/from the back cabin as the gangway is down that side of the engine.