Keter folding workbench

blackrose

Featured Posts

This is my latest acquisition.

They're not cheap, £58 from Toolstation was the cheapest I could find, but for anyone with limited storage it's so much better than a Black & Decker workmate. The last one of those I had ended up in a skip. 

Maximum loading is 453kg!

Have a look in YouTube or Amazon for reviews.

IMG_20210321_122116.jpg

IMG_20210321_122616.jpg

Take the load capacity with a large pinch of salt. I bought one of those several years ago from Toolstation/Screwfix. It collapsed completely the first time I used it . It was erected correctly. Several of the plastic moulding simply broke.  

Edited by Slim

I just had a look at Youtube and the first review that came up was from The Ultimate Handyman. It's a nice size for a boat but it didn't look very sturdy when he had a large piece of wood clamped in it. I think, as I no longer have a boat, I'll stick to my old Black and Decker WM825 equivalent. It is heavier I would think but it is very sturdy and very stable and it is more expensive but mine has done me for a lot of years. It is showing it's age now though and once we have moved house I will be buying another. Looking on Ebay there are sellers selling just the frame and legs for the black and decker at a much reduced price than the full table Just have to find a decent bit of wood to make the table/jaws. Dunno yet got to get this move out of the way first.

31 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

they are great, but you will soon get fed up with folding it.  Mine was from B&Q £41 last year.

Very sturdy and the clamps are suitable for most jobs.

Folding and unfolding it takes 30 seconds. I don't see how you can get quicker than that? Unfortunately a non folding bench isn't an option for me.

24 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I replaced my Black & Decker Workmate last year. The old one had only lasted me 35 years.

Mine lasted about 3 years before it seized up. I only left it outside a couple of times. Ok I probably should have oiled the worm rods and joints. I tried wd40 after it had all seized up but it was completely unusable. Couldn't open and close the clamps evenly.

The other thing was that getting it in and out of the engine bay was a right hassle. It always caught something and ended up damaging paintwork. The Keter bench slides into the space easily and there are no bits sticking out. It's all plastic so it's less likely to scratch anything.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I replaced my Black & Decker Workmate last year. The old one had only lasted me 35 years.

Me too, but I got the new version, now by Draper, as a present. They've improved the weak areas, like the leg retaining clips which snapped on my old one may years ago, but it's now so stiff and complex, I've had enough by the time it's set up! Will it get better with use?  I don't know, and I don't think I have the patience or stamina to find out.  Had I bought it myself, it would have gone back. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Take the load capacity with a large pinch of salt. I bought one of those several years ago from Toolstation/Screwfix. It collapsed completely the first time I used it . It was erected correctly. Several of the plastic moulding simply broke.  

Well perhaps you were just unlucky and got a dud. The mouldings must have been cracked before you even bought it. I can't see how they can break under a normal load. Mine seemed pretty strong when I stood on top of it this morning. If it even takes half that load capacity it's good enough for me. There's a guy on YouTube who throws one off the roof of his house and it was still ok.

This guy's had his for 4 years and still seems to like it.

Edited by blackrose

29 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Well perhaps you were just unlucky and got a dud. The mouldings must have been cracked before you even bought it. I can't see how they can break under a normal load. Mine seemed pretty strong when I stood on top of it this morning. If it even takes half that load capacity it's good enough for me. There's a guy on YouTube who throws one off the roof of his house and it was still ok.

This guy's had his for 4 years and still seems to like it.

I'll watch with interest, If you have any issues I would appreciate a brief message. I can't deny that it's ideal for a boat and if yours holds out I might take another punt. ?️

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

A baby, mine is 50 years old, original ply top with a few saw nicks, some original stops but all the rubber feet have been replaced from others' more recent Workmates that they have left in the rain till the nasty later chipboard or MDF tops have disintegrated.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A baby, mine is 50 years old, original ply top with a few saw nicks, some original stops but all the rubber feet have been replaced from others' more recent Workmates that they have left in the rain till the nasty later chipboard or MDF tops have disintegrated.

I kept mine going for 40 years+ before I ran a  9" circular saw through the ply top and part of the frame.  

On 21/03/2021 at 13:14, Slim said:

I haven't come across this particular item but used to deliver loads of keter products and the quality of the plastic was atrocious, with a large percentage damaged in transit regardless of how much care was taken. 

38 minutes ago, BWM said:

I haven't come across this particular item but used to deliver loads of keter products and the quality of the plastic was atrocious, with a large percentage damaged in transit regardless of how much care was taken. 

At 15.30 the guy drops a keter folding workbench off the first floor of his house. The quality of the plastic can't be too bad.

Edited by blackrose