Caldwell window replacement / standard sizes?

NB DW2

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've measured up some existing Calwell windows today with a view to replacing them.  They're looking a little dated - the portholes aren't bad but the hoppers don't do it any favours - and I want a polished finish and concealed screws.

I can't quite get the measurements I've taken to tally with the sizes mentioned in the Calwell catalogue:

https://caldwellswindows.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Narrow-Boat-Brochure-2020.pdf

I might have ballsed the measurements up - I got 41cm / 16.1" for the portholes, measuring the outer frame to outer frame, and 94cm / 37" for the bus windows.  Basically as per the red lines in the picture.  Problem is I can't find the equivalent sizes in the catalogue.

So have I ballsed the measurements up by recording them incorrectly, or should I have measured inside of the frame?  Or have Caldwell stop doing the size I measured?

boata.JPG

boatb.JPG

window1.JPG

window2.JPG

49 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Are they sized on the hole size?

I was going to suggest that too.

But if you want the new windows to fit the existing holes in the cabin side I would check exactly what the manufacturers dimensions correspond to. Also check that the radius of the rounded corners isn't too different too.

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Mack said:

I was going to suggest that too.

But if you want the new windows to fit the existing holes in the cabin side I would check exactly what the manufacturers dimensions correspond to. Also check that the radius of the rounded corners isn't too different too.

3 or 4” radius are the most common, but it varies depending on the manufacturer.

• Greenie 1

We ordered some replacement Caldwell windows 6 weeks ago. We also ordered some replacement porthole joining joists as the existing were broken.

The new windows arrived, and every hole except about 3 has had to be redrilled and tapped ,almost 2 days work.

The replacement fixing joists for 2 potholes has still not been posted after 6 calls, they have promised several times they should have been posted,  and last monday, ("I am sticking it in the post now")

We await. 

Edited by matty40s

5 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I spoke with them Friday and they reckoned it was around 12 weeks waiting time at the moment because they're so busy.  Sounds like it's showing in the quality.

You mean their quality is better than all the others so they have a full order book and a long waiting list.

10 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I spoke with them Friday and they reckoned it was around 12 weeks waiting time at the moment because they're so busy.  Sounds like it's showing in the quality.

We went with Caldwells as  Wesley windows are about 3 months waiting time.