Stop dumping ash!

Maffi

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Theo said:

If anthracite is nearly pure carbon then it will be nearly ash free as all the carbon will have been converted to carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

And I remember as a kid picking the bits of cinders out of my bloody knees when I had fallen over.

N

A perfect clean burn would mean running the stove much hotter than is ideal, as for background heat ours is ticking over much of the time. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't really see that bit of ash in the hedge is going to do much damage to the canal environment,

Your hedge looks a bit on the thin side, as I'm sure I have mentioned previously.

I don't know who has been dumping coal ash in it, but it looks more like a few measly strands of wire rather than a healthy hawthorn hedge ...

On 20/03/2021 at 09:57, blackrose said:

I wonder what the old working boaters did with their ash?

(I don't really wonder, I'm sure they just chucked it in the cut).

Bit of a traditionalist dilemma.

I don't think that because historically  people used to do something that is any reason to continue it if it comes to light that its bad practice. 

• Greenie 2

On 21/03/2021 at 23:12, TheBiscuits said:

Your hedge looks a bit on the thin side, as I'm sure I have mentioned previously.

I don't know who has been dumping coal ash in it, but it looks more like a few measly strands of wire rather than a healthy hawthorn hedge ...

No hedge by my mooring... The one out the back of my garden was fine till the cows ate it!

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I don't think that because historically  people used to do something that is any reason to continue it if it comes to light that its bad practice. 

coal ash - proper coal- is fine for improving the surface of towpaths not bad pracice at all, smokeless does'nt work however.

ash used to be used for sealing leaky lock gates I suspect smokeless doesn't work here either, has anyone tried it?

I often spread the ash from my anthracite burner onto the piles of dog faeces left on the grass towpath by inconsiderate, lazy, dirty dog walkers.

I do this in the hope that somebody will not get faeces on their shoes and walk it into my or anyone else's boat. 

I will continue to do this as long as the towpath outside my boat is fouled.

• Greenie 1

On 20/03/2021 at 01:24, Maffi said:

Everywhere I go I see piles and piles of ash dumped along the hedgerow, Even in Braunston, where the towpath is narrow in places, lazy itinerant boaters dump their ash.  Ash is two of three things. If its coal based ash it is TOXIC waste! and fly-tipping. Nothing grows through it. If it is wood based ash it is rubbish and constitutes fly-tipping. Yes I know wood ash is good for the garden and in your own garden you can do what you like. Either way all ash should be disposed of properly, that is to say cooled, bagged, and binned.

Last Sunday as we walked across the main road bridge, in Braunston to the car, we saw flames and palls of smoke coming out of the hedgerow at the back of Vegas Racing. This will be the third time I have witnessed a fire in that short line of trees, and a lazy itinerant boater is to blame. I am sure it has happened more times than that. Fortunately another boater was arriving on the scene to deal with it. I wonder how many small creatures get baked alive in these circumstances.

There are those who suggest putting it in the puddles on the tow path, stupid idea, fine ash and water mixed together makes gooey sludge! 

What is so hard about bagging it an binning it? There is no reason to dump your ash. When using coal, at the end of a 25 kg bag of coal, you have an empty bag and its FREE! Put your ash in that! You will bin the bags anyway. Now I know some here will talk about hot ash in plastic bags and they are almost right, but you can alleviate that problem. Try one of these Clarke CHT848 12 Litre Stainless Steel Bucket With Lid - Machine Mart - Machine Mart £19.19 is nice shiney Stainless Steel and will last for ever,  ( there is a 16 litre size) If you cant afford one of these you could try one of these Draper 12L Galvanised Steel Bucket - Machine Mart - Machine Mart £7.98.  it's Galvanised so not so shiney, and should last 6/7 years or more. I have one on my roof. It stands on an old piece or Hexboard to stop it damaging the paint work. I burn solid fuel from September to May so there is always a plentiful supply of bags.

Place ash into the bucket to cool and when cool empty into the plastic bag. If you are not sure its cool put some water in it, it will soon tell you. (mind your eyes).

Fly-tipping is a despicable thing to do. It damages the environment. and kills wildlife. We as boaters should be looking after the environment we live in not 

burning it down!

Word of warning, if you do get a bucket please do not store hot ash on your front/rear decks. Until the heat is gone the ashes will still be producing Carbon gasses that could get in through your ventilators. I leave mine on the tow path!

2CD0645B-CDA3-47C9-9AC1-5496F7BDC558-large.jpg.f9673026470cc54ed1898eaf1231d8bf.jpg

It would seem some one has complained about my post and the post has been hidden. Apparently I said something offensive. I have looked but I didn't even say f**k. Come on own up what was offensive and who complained? If you are going to complain you have to own it. Fess up!

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

It is very good for sealing dock gates. 

I have seen tons of the stuff between Banbury and Gayton and there are only half a dozen docks! ?

On 20/03/2021 at 01:24, Maffi said:

Everywhere I go I see piles and piles of ash dumped along the hedgerow, Even in Braunston, where the towpath is narrow in places, lazy itinerant boaters dump their ash.  Ash is two of three things. If its coal based ash it is TOXIC waste! and fly-tipping. Nothing grows through it. If it is wood based ash it is rubbish and constitutes fly-tipping. Yes I know wood ash is good for the garden and in your own garden you can do what you like. Either way all ash should be disposed of properly, that is to say cooled, bagged, and binned.

Last Sunday as we walked across the main road bridge, in Braunston to the car, we saw flames and palls of smoke coming out of the hedgerow at the back of Vegas Racing. This will be the third time I have witnessed a fire in that short line of trees, and a lazy itinerant boater is to blame. I am sure it has happened more times than that. Fortunately another boater was arriving on the scene to deal with it. I wonder how many small creatures get baked alive in these circumstances.

There are those who suggest putting it in the puddles on the tow path, stupid idea, fine ash and water mixed together makes gooey sludge! 

What is so hard about bagging it an binning it? There is no reason to dump your ash. When using coal, at the end of a 25 kg bag of coal, you have an empty bag and its FREE! Put your ash in that! You will bin the bags anyway. Now I know some here will talk about hot ash in plastic bags and they are almost right, but you can alleviate that problem. Try one of these Clarke CHT848 12 Litre Stainless Steel Bucket With Lid - Machine Mart - Machine Mart £19.19 is nice shiney Stainless Steel and will last for ever,  ( there is a 16 litre size) If you cant afford one of these you could try one of these Draper 12L Galvanised Steel Bucket - Machine Mart - Machine Mart £7.98.  it's Galvanised so not so shiney, and should last 6/7 years or more. I have one on my roof. It stands on an old piece or Hexboard to stop it damaging the paint work. I burn solid fuel from September to May so there is always a plentiful supply of bags.

Place ash into the bucket to cool and when cool empty into the plastic bag. If you are not sure its cool put some water in it, it will soon tell you. (mind your eyes).

Fly-tipping is a despicable thing to do. It damages the environment. and kills wildlife. We as boaters should be looking after the environment we live in not 

burning it down!

Word of warning, if you do get a bucket please do not store hot ash on your front/rear decks. Until the heat is gone the ashes will still be producing Carbon gasses that could get in through your ventilators. I leave mine on the tow path!

It is still there (assuming you meant the 1st post in the thread)

20 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

coal ash - proper coal- is fine for improving the surface of towpaths not bad pracice at all, smokeless does'nt work however.

ash used to be used for sealing leaky lock gates I suspect smokeless doesn't work here either, has anyone tried it?

Given that most fuel sold on the canal is smokeless what was the point of your comment?

19 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I often spread the ash from my anthracite burner onto the piles of dog faeces left on the grass towpath by inconsiderate, lazy, dirty dog walkers.

I do this in the hope that somebody will not get faeces on their shoes and walk it into my or anyone else's boat. 

I will continue to do this as long as the towpath outside my boat is fouled.

Yes I do that too. But never an ashpan full!

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Looks like your post is still here, it must have dropped off the bottom whilst you were hard cruising.?

For me it appears just as the two buckets. I have to press a button to see that which I wrote.
Apparently "biological swearing" was the reason. EDIT It was something I said to another poster who tried to hijack my post! I called him a Go**y t**t, which he was!

Edited by Maffi

18 minutes ago, Maffi said:

It would seem some one has complained about my post and the post has been hidden. Apparently I said something offensive. I have looked but I didn't even say f**k. Come on own up what was offensive and who complained? If you are going to complain you have to own it. Fess up!

I think somebody (not me I hasten to add) possibly took exception at you calling somebody a 'gobby t**t'. As that post seems to have gone, however it's still there in another post as it was quoted by the person you were name calling.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think somebody (not me I hasten to add) possibly took exception at you calling somebody a 'gobby t**t'. As that post seems to have gone, however it's still there in another post as it was quoted by the person you were name calling.

Ah I remember that! Thank you.

On 20/03/2021 at 18:29, Parahandy said:

You want to forget about the Ash and concentrate on slowing down for moored Boats the next time you are passing through Milton Keynes . I had cause to remonstrate with you some

time back in a restrained way I may add as you had a female present , you on the other hand had an appalling attitude . 

I have no idea who is right, but little things like this make me chuckle.

On 21/03/2021 at 23:03, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't really see that bit of ash in the hedge is going to do much damage to the canal environment, compared to decomposing bags of dog crap, the detritus fishermen leave behind, bikes (both human and variously motor powered) churning up the paths, single use barbecues, general litter, bits of old boat lying about, endless generator noise, coal smoke, bilge pumps and diesel fumes.

Still, I suppose it's something new to complain about. It's very important that  someone else is doing something wrong.

'a bit of ash' My local supplier sells 11 tons of coal every three weeks through the winter. If only one ton of that is ash that works out to a lot of ash over the year and that's only from one supplier. So it's not 'a bit of ash' is it?

And with regards to the list you supplied I personally removed about 14 tons of rubbish over the last 10 years. Ash is just another step along the path I travel.

Edited by Maffi

13 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

He didn't say I was speeding. He said I didn't slow down. I did slow down, but not as much as he deemed necessary. I do not do tick-over when there is a mile or more of moored boats.

5 minutes ago, Heartland said:

If I recall, boiler ash was put down on some canal company towpaths. Hecla might confirm that a local waterways manager adopted this a few years ago on the BCN to replicate previous practice.

You are quite right but what has that to do with people dumping their ash. Modern Smokeless ash is not the same as proper old ash

On 20/03/2021 at 16:32, matty40s said:

Guilty M'lud, all our local moorers have old blacking tins to collect ash in. When full, they are dropped by our guillotine gate and used to seal it on every docking.

We also pay to dredge our own marina and frontage.

I have lived next to Tooley's dry dock for over a year now and they dont use ash for their dry dock. Given it probably the oldest dock on the system they must be doing something right!

32 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Its a throwback remark to before you were born when men had better manners and were respectful of the fairer sex. I always remember my mum saying how " silly " womens libbers were as she liked it when a gentleman doffed his cap to her or opened a door in a polite manner. Men and indeed boys would get up if a bus was full for a lady to sit down if there were no seats left, I have done it myself in the sixties for instance wheras today the lad with his back to front cap on would have his feet on the opposite seat. It is a throwback to a time when police women 5 feet tall weighing 8 stone were not linked arm to arm to 6ft 5 inch 20 stone men in a riot situation. A throwback to when women had babies instead of today when we hear the silly term " We " are having a baby :banghead: 

We are progressing very quickly in a backward manner and the list is endless.

• Greenie 5
  • Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Its a throwback remark to before you were born when men had better manners and were respectful of the fairer sex. I always remember my mum saying how " silly " womens libbers were as she liked it when a gentleman doffed his cap to her or opened a door in a polite manner. Men and indeed boys would get up if a bus was full for a lady to sit down if there were no seats left, I have done it myself in the sixties for instance wheras today the lad with his back to front cap on would have his feet on the opposite seat. It is a throwback to a time when police women 5 feet tall weighing 8 stone were not linked arm to arm to 6ft 5 inch 20 stone men in a riot situation. A throwback to when women had babies instead of today when we hear the silly term " We " are having a baby :banghead: 

We are progressing very quickly in a backward manner and the list is endless.

10/10.

It's hard to convince someone who prefers the 'old manners' that the 'new manners' is better, but some of that is considered rudeness to my generation too, such as putting feet on a chair so no-one can use it.

But other parts that you consider disrespectful but would be considered the more respectful thing by most people I know (and I know mostly people of my own generation). For example, not being forthright with someone because there is a woman, I consider condescending. Likewise, getting up for a woman to sit down, if she is able-bodied and not pregnant.

25 minutes ago, Maffi said:

, but not as much as he deemed necessary. I do not do tick-over when there is a mile or more of moored boats.

But, why not?

Its manners to not cause annoyance. What difference is there between one boat and a mile of moorings?  None in my view, I slow down properly and make friends, you do not, and make enemies.

Who is right?

On 21/03/2021 at 08:00, Parahandy said:

You are a complete Liar , I never threatened you with any Physical Violence whatsoever nor do I possess any Slow Down signs , I can only assume that was some other who was equally annoyed about your complete contempt for long established Boating Practise and indeed lack of courtesy for your fellow boaters . Sadly you are yet another of these Blogging Types new to the Canal who feels an entitlement to condescendingly lecture the rest of us . Tell me something , is that wig something you have recently obtained and how is it best affixed when piloting your speeding Boat ? I did notice it remained relatively stable though to be fair you did place your hand on your head . At nearly sixty and suffering from thinning locks I am keen to hear your reply .

My reply is contempt. You did threaten me. You were the only person who spoke to me out of all the boats I passed so no one else thought I was speeding.

I just assumed because you were a moaner that you had those dumb 'TICK-OVER signs. My bad! 

The established boating practice is to slow down past moored boats, this I did, but apparently not to your satisfaction Mein Heir.

Yes you are right I am new to the canal I have only been on my boat 15 years although I have been blogging for 17 years

And my 'wig' is actually real hair its going a bit thin on top these days, but it is all mine. You should feel honoured you have seen it, I usually wear a hat. And thinking on it that was mid December. I was probably wearing a hat.