Stop dumping ash!

Maffi

Featured Posts

Fly ash and it's use as breeze blocks is closer to the cut than you might realise. Rochdale Summit, the houses by the canal Dean Head, and on the hill on the east side on the littleborough flight, were some of the first to be built of fly ash blocks. Gordon Harvey of Fothergill and Harveys, the mills on the Littleborough flight, was a green entrepreneur, he was the first to recycle the fire smoke back through the boiler to clean it up, introduced the first clean air act, it fell by the wayside as WW1 started. 

On 20/03/2021 at 01:24, Maffi said:

Everywhere I go I see piles and piles of ash dumped along the hedgerow, Even in Braunston, where the towpath is narrow in places, lazy itinerant boaters dump their ash.  Nothing grows through it.

Yes, of course it's only lazy itinerant boaters. Couldn't possibly be lazy boaters of any other variety.

If it is wood based ash it is rubbish and constitutes fly-tipping. Yes I know wood ash is good for the garden and in your own garden you can do what you like. Either way all ash should be disposed of properly, that is to say cooled, bagged, and binned.

If I consistently only burned wood and only generated wood ash, I would consistently spread my cold ash out in the wild. Why? Because it's the most environmentally sensible thing to do. It returns nutrients to the soil, and it avoids chucking yet another bag full of something that could be disposed of more sensibly into a landfill, locked inside a non-degradable container. I couldn't give a toss about people thinking it unsightly (which it can't be - it's spread); I'd much rather do good by the planet than by the bizarre strictures of society.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=621 for starters.

If its coal based ash it is TOXIC waste! and fly-tipping.

Yes: coal ash should be disposed of properly as it has no value to the land whatsoever.

We as boaters should be looking after the environment we live in not burning it down!

Mmm, indeed. I'd suggest the first port of call should be to stop burning coal and stop generating so much waste in general. Follow it up by eschewing diesel. More generally, do what's most right by the environment - which in the case of what your complaining about, isn't quite just 'bag it and chuck it in the landfill'.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

More generally, do what's most right by the environment - which in the case of what your complaining about, isn't quite just 'bag it and chuck it in the landfill'.

I think the forum consensus is to mix it with several gallons of purified drinking water and let it stand for a few days or weeks before disposing of it.  Oh wait, wrong thread ... ;)

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, BWM said:

The ash and cinders from anthracite is very useful for a decent non slip surface on paths, we save ours for this purpose but bag and dump the stuff from the briquettes used in the front end of the boat.

If anthracite is nearly pure carbon then it will be nearly ash free as all the carbon will have been converted to carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

As a kid all our garden paths were like that

And I remember as a kid picking the bits of cinders out of my bloody knees when I had fallen over.

N

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Theo said:

f anthracite is nearly pure carbon then it will be nearly ash free as all the carbon will have been converted to carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

This is true. The cinders are mostly part burned remnants.

1 hour ago, Theo said:

If anthracite is nearly pure carbon then it will be nearly ash free as all the carbon will have been converted to carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

And I remember as a kid picking the bits of cinders out of my bloody knees when I had fallen over.

We used to heat our house, when I was little with, anthracite grains l(like stone chippings, large pea size) in a hopper fed boiler, it produced a lump of climker round the air inlet where the fan fed the fire. This was dug out once a day and was a donut shape large sausage sized lump. The boiler used about 6 buckets of anthracite a day and the only solid waste would barely fill 2 inches at the bottom of a bucket.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

We've been burning kiln dried oak (mostly) offcuts from a timber merchant in our stove at home all winter. I think I have emptied the ash pan once in 3 months.

You're lucky. I wish I could persuade someone else to do the job all the other times. She always seems to be busy....

8 hours ago, Parahandy said:

You are a complete Liar , I never threatened you with any Physical Violence whatsoever nor do I possess any Slow Down signs , I can only assume that was some other who was equally annoyed about your complete contempt for long established Boating Practise and indeed lack of courtesy for your fellow boaters . Sadly you are yet another of these Blogging Types new to the Canal who feels an entitlement to condescendingly lecture the rest of us . Tell me something , is that wig something you have recently obtained and how is it best affixed when piloting your speeding Boat ? I did notice it remained relatively stable though to be fair you did place your hand on your head . At nearly sixty and suffering from thinning locks I am keen to hear your reply .

See my previous post and, in case, how many decades of experience do you think you need to gain appropriate skills? To my knowledge, Maffi is hardly a newcomer (!) and has been helpful to me in the past. OTOH, I have experienced a (former?) member of this forum whose behaviour was intended to be intimidating - did not work, though!

15 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

See my previous post and, in case, how many decades of experience do you think you need to gain appropriate skills? To my knowledge, Maffi is hardly a newcomer (!) and has been helpful to me in the past. OTOH, I have experienced a (former?) member of this forum whose behaviour was intended to be intimidating - did not work, though!

I think Maffi has made his point of view regarding Boaters and those that have the temerity to moor a Boat pretty plain Mike , dont you ? I simply took issue with being lectured to regarding the best practise of Ash Disposal by a bloke who treats any moored boats by his own admission with complete contempt and disregard . He then tried to cover up this by alleging a series of falsehoods about myself for which I took him to task . It is what it is Mike and I wish the bloke well .

On 20/03/2021 at 12:17, Athy said:

What's more, you practised what you preached: I remember you doing this along the towpath below Cropredy lock, in the days when you moored towpath-side.

Correct. Seen you do it, as well as name calling certain other boaters when your dander is up and someone criticises you. Is it the drink or just your normal attitude?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Correct. Seen you do it, as well as name calling certain other boaters when your dander is up and someone criticises you. Is it the drink or just your normal attitude?

Would you care to explain your remarks? Are you referring to me or to Alnwick?

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Would you care to explain your remarks? Are you referring to me or to Alnwick?

For some reason the forum software has the occasional brain fart and misattributes quotes.

You quote one person but it comes out as if you quoted sombody else.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

For some reason the forum software has the occasional brain fart and misattributes quotes.

You quote one person but it comes out as if you quoted sombody else.

Not in this case though.  It was an Athy post that got quoted.