Metal Bow Lockers

Porcupine

Featured Posts

Hi,

I don’t have any storage space in the bow of my boat. So, I’m looking to get metal lockers. I’d like them to be built in either side of the Well Deck. Otherwise a free-standing locker that fits right into the bow could work too.

Help?????  Thanks very much, Matt. 

On 19/03/2021 at 13:50, cuthound said:

The usual way is to get the lockers sides welded into the well deck and then have phenolic ply (hexagrip, buffalo board etc) lids added. Any competent boatyard can do this.

One CWDF member (@blackrose) is building his own bow lockers from aluminium angle.

I just built benches using aluminum angle frames. MHS has set the standard for aluminum lockers.

17 hours ago, LadyG said:

I just have the phenolic boards either side, enough room underneath for coal, works for me. 

Me too. Aluminium angle brackets either end, 18mm hexagrip between. An elephant could board our boat using it as a step, or sit on it for a well deck picnic. (They don't, because we always keep the cratch cover zipped up if we're in elephant territory - as any boater worth his salt will know).

I need to replace the lid of the front locker on the boat, phenolic ply being one option. Presumably cut edges need to be sealed, so any recommendations on the best way of doing this?

I should add that my carpentry skills have yet to reach basic, so making a nice wooden frame wouldn't be deemed as 'best' ?!!!