CRT Council Meeting

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't touch fb, and I expect CRT to keep me informed by email.

They could use Zoom, do they know about that?

Its not CRT passing on the information, they don't care if you know what happens at the Council meetings or not.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is a report on the latest CRT Council Meeting on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/659329964711749/permalink/778180522826692/

This is in a private Facebook group, so even if you are on Facebook you can not see it.  I would assume this is not intended to be public information 

Edited by john6767

its a link to a private group, so even if you’re on facebook you cant view it unless you’re a member of said group 

Welcome. Please read this pinned notice and the rules of the group (click on the ‘about’ button) before posting.
The forum is intended as an interface between boaters on the CRT network and their elected representatives on CRT Council: Tim Allen, Helen Hutt, Dave Mendes da Costa and Phil Prettyman. 
Please note this is a new idea, set up in September 2020, and we will run it as a trial for a few months to gauge its effectiveness. Potential members will be asked some questions to prove their genuine interest in the group and will need to be approved by an admin or moderator.
We will use the forum to share notes from our meetings with CRT (roughly every two months) and boaters may use it to raise any concerns, which we will take into account when interacting with CRT. It is not a replacement for reporting issues and faults directly to CRT, neither is it a vehicle for blatant 'CRT bashing'.
This is a closed group and there are a few questions to answer before being approved for membership. Posts from members will also be vetted before being published. Discussion should be kept polite and pleasant, please. We want this to be a positive forum whose purpose is to work for good outcomes for all boaters, whilst bearing in mind the constraints imposed by the historical nature of our waterways system

Edited by Hudds Lad

40 minutes ago, john6767 said:

This is in a private Facebook group, so even if you are on Facebook you can not see it.  I would assume this is not intended to be public information 

Anyone on face book can join. It was  set up specifically after the last elections as a vehicle for boater/reps. Most groups on FB that are not a free for all are private. I am just a member of the public.

I believe that the Boating Reps have set this Facrebook group up so boaters can join if they wish, it is a moderated group so that flame wars, etc can be avoided. I believe Helen is doing a good job of disseminating what is happening at council.

As elected reps there are also Myself and David Williams who are on council on the behalf of the volunteers and @StarUKKiwi is there as the friends choice, she of course no longer has a boat, due to ill health. David Kent is the elected rep for fisheries. There are 2 for the businesses who use C&RT and another for the employees.
Then there are the nominated ones - see the C&RT web site for the full details.

Please remember the main function of a council member, as determined by the government, when it created the charity, and created council members, is not like that of an MP, to act as a representative. A council members main function is to appoint trustees, and monitor them, although we do have connections and the boaters reps are using them, for the good of boaters, as you will have seen if your following Helens reports.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

@magpie patrick for one

For information - I'm the Railway & Canal Historical Society nominee 

7 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

Please remember the main function of a council member, as determined by the government, when it created the charity, and created council members, is not like that of an MP, to act as a representative. A council members main function is to appoint trustees, and monitor them, although we do have connections and the boaters reps are using them, for the good of boaters, as you will have seen if your following Helens reports.

Spot on - I'm a nominee not a representative, although I'm unlikely to make comments that are contrary to any position the RCHS would take

FB group easy enough to join, just prove your genuine interest with your boat number. I do hope I got mine right. Oops I forgot, sign your soul to the FB devil too. ?

10 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

FB group easy enough to join, just prove your genuine interest with your boat number. I do hope I got mine right. Oops I forgot, sign your soul to the FB devil too. ?

It may be but it doesn't help those of us who for various reasons want nothing whatever to do with farcebook.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Eggsactly

Maybe one of the several representative could give a brief summary.

If all the members here had voted for Andy to be re-elected you would have had chapter and verse. There is no requirement for the members to report back, they already give up there time to be on Council.

19 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is a report on the latest CRT Council Meeting on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/659329964711749/permalink/778180522826692/

Helen Hunt said she is happy to share this with others.

Here’s a synopsis of the CRT Council Meeting on 23rd March:
It has been a challenging winter, with serious weather-related incidents on the Aire & Calder (cost £3-3.5 million, reopening this summer), Shropshire Union, Trent & Mersey and River Weaver. The bottom Figure of Three lock on the Calder & Hebble reopens at Easter after a £1.5 million rebuild.
Financially, income during the pandemic has fallen by 7% but costs have been held, so the deficit is relatively small. Friends numbers have fallen by 10%. There will be more home- and hub-working in future, leading to the closure of 12 offices, with a potential saving of £11 million annually.
On safety, there were three non-related fatal incidents on the Wigan flight and a three-year-old drowned in the river section of the K&A near Newbury; these and other minor incidents have prompted a review and closer community ties.
Over 60 youngsters have taken up 6-month placements on the Kickstart programme.
Environmentally, there are now 400 miles of canal designated ‘Green Flag’ and the first ‘Blue Flag’ has been awarded to Liverpool docks. The focus is now on improving urban areas (artworks, living walls, pocket gardens, etc).
There are 147 infrastructure projects in the pipeline, including the refurbishment of Anderton boat lift in 2023/4. The spillway option at Toddbrook Reservoir should be agreed shortly, allowing planning approval this summer and a winter start to works, which will last up to two years. The third fish pass on the Severn, at Diglis, is finished (and includes an underwater viewing gallery); the final one, at Holt, will be completed later this year. The future of heritage properties was aired briefly and “will be carefully managed”; the fate of Braunston Stop House was raised but “no decision has yet been taken”.
CRT claimed a good response to the Terms & Conditions consultation (3,300 responses = 10%) with an average of 78% support for the proposed changes. However, there will be some amendments to the original and readability has been improved. A report will be published in April, followed by the new T&Cs in May and implementation in June.
We had a presentation on water resources; CRT is having to apply for 155 exemptions (costing £232,500) allowing abstraction of water from reservoirs and rivers for the next six years.
Finally, we had an up-beat update on the Defra Review (far more involved than I had imagined!) which it is hoped will secure funding beyond 2026/7.
The next CRT Council meeting is in September.
  • Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If all the members here had voted for Andy to be re-elected you would have had chapter and verse. There is no requirement for the members to report back, they already give up there time to be on Council.

True but if they are going to report (as clearly they are on farcebook) then it would be sensible/polite to do it in a way that was open to all.

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Helen Hunt said she is happy to share this with others.

Here’s a synopsis of the CRT Council Meeting on 23rd March:
It has been a challenging winter, with serious weather-related incidents on the Aire & Calder (cost £3-3.5 million, reopening this summer), Shropshire Union, Trent & Mersey and River Weaver. The bottom Figure of Three lock on the Calder & Hebble reopens at Easter after a £1.5 million rebuild.
Financially, income during the pandemic has fallen by 7% but costs have been held, so the deficit is relatively small. Friends numbers have fallen by 10%. There will be more home- and hub-working in future, leading to the closure of 12 offices, with a potential saving of £11 million annually.
On safety, there were three non-related fatal incidents on the Wigan flight and a three-year-old drowned in the river section of the K&A near Newbury; these and other minor incidents have prompted a review and closer community ties.
Over 60 youngsters have taken up 6-month placements on the Kickstart programme.
Environmentally, there are now 400 miles of canal designated ‘Green Flag’ and the first ‘Blue Flag’ has been awarded to Liverpool docks. The focus is now on improving urban areas (artworks, living walls, pocket gardens, etc).
There are 147 infrastructure projects in the pipeline, including the refurbishment of Anderton boat lift in 2023/4. The spillway option at Toddbrook Reservoir should be agreed shortly, allowing planning approval this summer and a winter start to works, which will last up to two years. The third fish pass on the Severn, at Diglis, is finished (and includes an underwater viewing gallery); the final one, at Holt, will be completed later this year. The future of heritage properties was aired briefly and “will be carefully managed”; the fate of Braunston Stop House was raised but “no decision has yet been taken”.
CRT claimed a good response to the Terms & Conditions consultation (3,300 responses = 10%) with an average of 78% support for the proposed changes. However, there will be some amendments to the original and readability has been improved. A report will be published in April, followed by the new T&Cs in May and implementation in June.
We had a presentation on water resources; CRT is having to apply for 155 exemptions (costing £232,500) allowing abstraction of water from reservoirs and rivers for the next six years.
Finally, we had an up-beat update on the Defra Review (far more involved than I had imagined!) which it is hoped will secure funding beyond 2026/7.
The next CRT Council meeting is in September.

Thank you.   Very helpful.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Presumably, amongst the other changes,(as proposed in the consultation) the revised T&Cs will now include the requirement that those with a home mooring will now have to follow the rules for CCers, and, the interpretation of the law by HHJ Halbert is incorrect.

6:3 There are clear anomalies in both positions, CRT clearly regard the occupation of moorings by permanently residential boat owners who do not move very much as a significant problem (see paragraphs 3.5 and 3.6 above). However, neither the statutory regime in subsection 17(3) nor the guidelines can deal with this problem. A boat which has a home mooring is not required to be “bona fide” used for navigation throughout the period of the licence, but neither is it required to ever use its home mooring. The act requires that the mooring is available, it does not say it must be used. The guidelines also have this effect. The boat is still subject to the restriction that it must not stay in the same place for more than 14 days but there is nothing whatever to stop it being shuffled between two locations quite close together provided they are far enough apart to constitute different places. If those who are causing the overcrowding at popular spots have home moorings anywhere in the country the present regime cannot control their overuse of the popular spots. Such an owner could cruise to and fro along the Kennet & Avon canal near Bristol and the home mooring could be in Birmingham and totally unused.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Do any council members ever raise the issue of attempting to override the act of parliament with the terms and conditions? Or the inappropriate use of section 8? Really, it's the legal dept pushing beyond the act in the hope that no one can afford to challenge them in the high court. Might is Right!

What's the opinion of the council members here?

I am chair of trustees of a small charity and would be appalled if any staff behaved in such a manner.