Navigation blocked by boat yards

Oddjob

Featured Posts

On 18/03/2021 at 17:24, matty40s said:

One of the all year round offenders, I was going up so not a problem for me, but have come down many times to find similar to this at Hillmorton.

20210318_172200.jpg

Hillmorton does surprise me as being one of the old "flagship" waterways spots (I've read in an ancient guide book something along the lines of it was where BW used to train groundskeeping staff on how to make lock sites look nice?) and yet having no mooring space for the elsan/bins and people regularly using the lock landings above the bottom lock as visitor moorings! Because they need a sign to tell them not to!?

On 18/03/2021 at 17:24, matty40s said:

One of the all year round offenders, I was going up so not a problem for me, but have come down many times to find similar to this at Hillmorton.

20210318_172200.jpg

Isn't that a rather old photo?  Not that the point isn't well made as just last week  there were far more offending unattended boats moored right up to the lock on both sides..

Edited by canalboat
correct error

8 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Hillmorton does surprise me as being one of the old "flagship" waterways spots (I've read in an ancient guide book something along the lines of it was where BW used to train groundskeeping staff on how to make lock sites look nice?) and yet having no mooring space for the elsan/bins and people regularly using the lock landings above the bottom lock as visitor moorings! Because they need a sign to tell them not to!?

A few years ago I seem to remember struggling to find both somewhere to tie up and also the correct route to the Elsan at Hillmorton. The couple on the boat outside the cafe were not too pleased when I stumbled onto their domain, but I suspect I wasn't the first to make that mistake.

3 hours ago, rgreg said:

A few years ago I seem to remember struggling to find both somewhere to tie up and also the correct route to the Elsan at Hillmorton. The couple on the boat outside the cafe were not too pleased when I stumbled onto their domain, but I suspect I wasn't the first to make that mistake.

Didn't the service moorings use to be over that side until BW let the building to become a café?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Didn't the service moorings use to be over that side until BW let the building to become a café?

20 years ago the BW plan was to make the whole area into a Heritage Centre. The Elsan was planned to be below the locks by the water point and they started to dig the trenches for the pipes. Unfortunately they didn't ask the owner of the land they were digging up and he invited them to leave immediately.  Meanwhile they let the old office building as a cafe which was already open when they then plonked the Elsan where it is now, with the obvious clash of interests.  In recent times the local canal heritage group to which I belong, proposed to CRT that they could place a multi service unit below the locks on the offside on the rough pasture land linked to the new sewage pumping station being built for the new road to the housing development.  It was quickly rejected by both CRT and the developer.  CRT then sold all the land occupied by the former BW depot to another developer.  So you have the three facilities (Rubbish, Water and Elsan) in three different places above and below the locks.  To access two of them, you now have to cross property that is no longer owned by CRT!   Some say, you couldn't write it - but I just did.

• Greenie 2

On 17/03/2021 at 18:06, Graham Davis said:

So you breast up to them and walk across their boat.
It really isn't difficult.

Except when you meet a lame brain like the one who moored on the lock landing at Greenberfield top lock. He complained bitterly when I breasted up to go down. There were no spaces behind so I had little option other than to suggest he go procreate himself.

On 22/03/2021 at 07:15, rgreg said:

I seem to remember that, at the top of Bingley Five Rise, there is a similar situation at the cafe.

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I seem to remember that, at the top of Bingley Five Rise, there is a similar situation at the cafe.

Yup! Last time I came up Bingley, I was asked by distraught onlookers to retrieve the body of a poor cat that has perished in the pound outside the cafe. After some very dramatic and amateurish manoeuvring i was able to report to the watching hordes, 'your dead cat has webbed feet!!' ?

On 16/03/2021 at 08:45, Oddjob said:

Yesterday while moving south on the Oxford came across a hire company who thinks its ok to moor their boats 3 a breast leaving just a single channel open for navigation, and then at top of Hillmorton locks boat yard thinks its ok to moor a NEW boat on the lock landing. Also to rub salt into a sore spot on the other side a boat was moored on that lock landing as well, who had stayed overnight as he had a can over his exhaust pipe. I thought if coming down I would have moored against the new boat minus fenders and then see the reaction from the boat yard!

This I've found is a problem with hire fleets they just take up all the navigation as there God given right and then get bent out of shape if their boats get bumped while navigating passed them.

It would seem you’re not alone, a blogger had similar challenges last week apparently!

9B3AF1FE-8D58-41AC-8CBB-15776195FB57.jpeg