Navigation blocked by boat yards

Oddjob

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

i feel we should seek National Lottery funding to further research this phenomena, couple of mill should do it, possibly look at brewery sponsorship too then we can cover off the “influenced” angle. What do you think Prof. Biscuits?

Sounds reasonable.

Who gets to do the sober tests and who gets to sup the ale? :D

59 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

you need more than one for a control group :D 

Both groups do it twice

14 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

The boat coming the other way?

same as all the bridges, mind you at Heyford you have a combination of both

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

My usual steering skills often drop right off when boats are moored in a winding hole.  It must be coincidence that I accidentally hit them about 100% of the time! ;)

The best one I managed years ago was when a peelock moored bang in the middle of the winding hole with his engine room doors open with shiny engine showing. I managed to put a major burst of power on at precisley the right time and sent a large volume of water out from the back of the prop enough to go through his engine room doors :D childish satisfaction ensued.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

45 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The best one I managed years ago was when a peelock moored bang in the middle of the winding hole with his engine room doors open with shiny engine showing. I managed to put a major burst of power on at precisley the right time and sent a large volume of water out from the back of the prop enough to go through his engine room doors :D childish satisfaction ensued.

I thought you said peacock, but it transpired you meant pillock

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I just treat it as a challenge, and if I whack one I don't worry about it. The ones moored on a lock landing don't bother me either, I just tie up to them and climb over - I assume that's what they expect you to do. It's usually fine as long as there isn't a gale blowing you sideways and someone you hadn't noticed or had just come round the corner trying to come through the other way. We are, after all, quite narrow.

This is what we have to do at Autherley, and have no quibbles with that, but it doesn't always go down well with the staff. It makes life easier getting into the lock as you are more or less in line with it, but beware crossing the deck as they often leave the deck boards up.

People who moor back from the yard often get upset if someone pinches it.

I used to worry when approaching Bunbury, from the Chester side after passing the 10 boat lengths of triple moored anglo welsh boats, was to see the gates open and reveal a the bows of a coal boat and his butty, no way was he going to reverse.

In Oxford two hire boats abreast on one side, and a regular boater's boat on the other. One of the hire boats came loose and knocked us into the boater's boat. The boater had a bit of a shout at us :)

Weren't the canals far more packed in the past? I don't know, I think the trick is to not mind being bumped. I personally don't get annoyed unless someone is being reckless beyond making newbie mistakes.

• Greenie 3

29 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

In Oxford two hire boats abreast on one side, and a regular boater's boat on the other. One of the hire boats came loose and knocked us into the boater's boat. The boater had a bit of a shout at us :)

Weren't the canals far more packed in the past? I don't know, I think the trick is to not mind being bumped. I personally don't get annoyed unless someone is being reckless beyond making newbie mistakes.

You mustn't rub the paint on the guard irons 

22 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

I think the trick is to not mind being bumped.

I'm pretty easy-going; I don't mind people nudging me, bumping me, breasting up, crossing my boat, whatever. But I was full-on rammed by a day boat last year on the Peak Forest, and nearly again on the Macclesfield, and I must admit that I had a sense of humour failure at the day boat skipper. I take the view that if their contact would likely sink one of our plastic pot brethren, shouting isn't entirely unjustified. Particularly if they're having a good laugh about it.

Minor incidental contact is just part and parcel, isn't it? It's why we all have rubbing strakes/guard irons.