Boat Safety Scheme Survey

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Probably, I was not suggesting you put yourself in danger, obviously. 

The fire service ( well at least my retired fireman brother ) would say that by trying to put out the fire you were putting yourself in danger.

5 hours ago, StephenA said:

Water mist sprinker systems in the main cabin space...... I guess they don't know what a narrowboat looks like.

I have not heard of this but it sounds excessive

5 hours ago, StephenA said:

Oddly enough we used to have a LPG detector which sat in the cupboard unit that had the Gas fridge at one end and the cooker at the other.  BSS told us it had to be removed because it was "too close" to the gas lines (it was about a metre away).

Not sure how you fit an extinguisher system under a cruiser stern either.....

It would be a self activating fire extinguisher as found in the engine box of some yachts, They are quite expensive,

The gas detectors for yachts are mandatory connected to your batteries,  you know how great it is coming back and turning they key, chug, chug whine......

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably your BSS is about due.

The requirement to have a CO detector in each living area was introduced about 3 years ago.

Only two years..... I thought it was longer , perhaps because I had a CO alarm on board before it became mandatory.

CO alarms mandatory since April 2019.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/bss-carbon-monoxide-alarms-approved.aspx

I had hoped the survey would ask if the BSS is fit for purpose.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The gas detectors for yachts are mandatory connected to your batteries......................

Must admit I thought yachts and other boats kept on the UK coast were fairly free from mandatory requirements........... unless perhaps coded for charter  .

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Must admit I thought yachts and other boats kept on the UK coast were fairly free from mandatory requirements........... unless perhaps coded for charter  .

I have friends with sea going yachts and they dont have them

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have friends with sea going yachts and they dont have them

It is just 'rambling wanderings' from someone who has no idea.

56 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It's not mandatory for leisure yachts to have one, but if you do have one, (for varoius reasons), they have to be direct to battery.

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's not mandatory for leisure yachts to have one, but if you do have one, (for varoius reasons), they have to be direct to battery.

So does this gas alarm give a total power failure if it goes off?

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

The fire service ( well at least my retired fireman brother ) would say that by trying to put out the fire you were putting yourself in danger.

So did my Great Uncle, who was Chief fire Investigator officer for the Surrey Fire brigade.

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

It would be a self activating fire extinguisher as found in the engine box of some yachts, They are quite expensive,...

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Like this

20170416_145130 (1).jpg

Edited by MartynG

27 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

So did my Great Uncle, who was Chief fire Investigator officer for the Surrey Fire brigade.

I recently spent time working in a supermarket and had to do their short health and safety induction. They were clear that the role of fire extinguishers was to enable you to get out not put the fire out. 

Just now, Ianws said:

I recently spent time working in a supermarket and had to do their short health and safety induction. They were clear that the role of fire extinguishers was to enable you to get out not put the fire out. 

His view long with that of many fireman was that fire extinguishers encouraged the 'Have a go brunch' who then get into trouble, which then required required fireman to put their lives at risk to rescue them.

53 minutes ago, Ianws said:

That's pretty much what they told me at AWRE Aldermaston. If its bigger than a wastebin or a chip pan then you need to get out rather than trying to put it out....

• Greenie 1

I did my Fire training in the RAF (it was compulsory for instructors)

We were told you use an extinguisher to beat down a path so you can exit the aircraft / building, you DON'T use it to fight the fire.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder what their agender is?

I've had enough of thos questions on the census :

What sex are you ?

What sex were you when you were born ?

What sex do you see your self as ?

And now you start wanting to know what their gender is.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I remember you saying this last year. Alan's point about how long an extinguisher lasts in use.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/108635-fire-extinguishers-and-blanket-placement/&do=findComment&comment=2548536

It would be useful if this was made clear when you bought an extinguisher. Perhaps it is written somewhere but, if it is, it's not made really clear.

Edited by Ianws
To make the post link better
  • Happy 1

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I'd suggest that any boaters concerned about their safety would have had one fitted long before they became mandatory.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest that any boaters concerned about their safety would have had one fitted long before they became mandatory.

It was the same with the wearing of seat belts in cars. People didn't wear them until it was required by law.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about BSS: Idle Days and others seem to think that it is only necessary to comply at the next licence or BSS renewal. In fact the CaRT web site makes it clear that Otherwise, your boat must comply with the BSS standards at all times when on our waters. You may also find that knowingly failing to comply might cause problems with an insurance claim (OK so I know that you do not plan on making one) One of the elements of an insurance policy that some folk overlook is the access to legal advice. Again, you might not be planning on litigating but someone may decide to do so against you. Even if you are innocent/not liable it may be complex to defend especially if someone claims that you caused personal injury or worse.

• Greenie 2