Boat Safety Scheme Survey

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is not a BSS survey per-se,  I suggest it is questions leading to making Smoke alarms, and having a fire 'response plan', mandatory.

I've just filled it in. It is rather limited, isn't it?

Lets hope they take into account trad engine rooms....an automatic fire fighting system would be a right PIA to sort for very little gain in reality.....I wonder how many narrowboats suffer from engine fires compared to other ignition sources

I 've not got my email, I assume there is not one on 'composting toilets'?

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Fire response plan on a boat on inland waters?

Get out if you can't put fire out.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

Lets hope they take into account trad engine rooms....an automatic fire fighting system would be a right PIA to sort for very little gain in reality.....I wonder how many narrowboats suffer from engine fires compared to other ignition sources

Boat insurers generally already want engine room fire extinguishers if the boat is capable of 20knts +

Maybe a new high-speed NB is about to be unveiled ?

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Fire response plan on a boat on inland waters?

Get out if you can't put fire out.

I suspect the fire service would modify that to just "Get out"  that seems to be the advice for a house and I suspect a boat will be at least similar.

• Greenie 3

Oddly enough we used to have a LPG detector which sat in the cupboard unit that had the Gas fridge at one end and the cooker at the other.  BSS told us it had to be removed because it was "too close" to the gas lines (it was about a metre away).

35 minutes ago, frangar said:

Not sure how you fit an extinguisher system under a cruiser stern either.....

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

Water mist sprinker systems in the main cabin space...... I guess they don't know what a narrowboat looks like.

Water mist systems take up very little space apart from the water tank. 

I have overseen many of them being fitted into data centres. Pipework is tiny as are the nozzles and could easily fit between the boat roof and ceiling.

Best of all they make very little mess (because they put fires out almost as soon as they start) and can safely be used on live electrical systems up to 35,000 volts.

However they don't meet current BSS fire extinguisher standards because they are not very good at putting out well established fires.

Edited by cuthound
Mist not most & roof not food. Bluddy autocorrect

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Bluddy autocorect interfering again. Not sure how it turned roof into food! ?

What a deckhead ...

That's a boat ceiling for those who don't know - I'm not being rude but I am double-checking autocorrect!

• Haha 1

I'm surprised that they don't seem interested in carbon monoxide detectors given the boaters favourite heat source. It does seem to be a very limited survey.

I imaging the water misting systems could be quite welcome during a hot summer to cool a boat.

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

I suspect the fire service would modify that to just "Get out"  that seems to be the advice for a house and I suspect a boat will be at least similar.

Probably, I was not suggesting you put yourself in danger, obviously. 

3 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

I'm surprised that they don't seem interested in carbon monoxide detectors given the boaters favourite heat source.

That was the last update.  CO detectors are now a BSS requirement, so there isn't much point asking again.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

I'm surprised that they don't seem interested in carbon monoxide detectors given the boaters favourite heat source. It does seem to be a very limited survey.

I imaging the water misting systems could be quite welcome during a hot summer to cool a boat.

Presumably your BSS is about due.

The requirement to have a CO detector in each living area was introduced about 3 years ago.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

What email were you expecting?

A survey, asking me if I had a dry type loo, what I proposed to do with it now? 

I might have got wrong end of the stick with this survey, I assumed the portable fire extinguishers were adequate as long as they were fixed to the wall!

I did not realise they wanted to consider automatic fire extinguishers throughout the boat.

I'm not sure how relevant the number of beds is, I can see that might be a knock on from the number of rooms in a house.

Raises more questions than answers. 

Glad it's 'ethical'. I used to make up surveys in sixth form, quite easy to get two diametrically opposite opinions, Jimmy Saville was most popular DJ, also most unpopular. 

I don’t know the bss situation but there are portable water mist extinguishers which are claimed to be very good for electrical fires. For the European certificate we had to have for the barge only powder type were approved. A company called Safe Lincs has been involved with developing them