Hand cranked washing machine

colmac

Featured Posts

As per the title. We are leisure boaters so only out spring/summer. We use launderettes for the big stuff but were looking at getting one of these hand cranked washing tubs for  ones smalls, t-shirts etc. Does anyone have experience of these , particularly with regard to how effective they are and where to buy one?  Thank you

We have always had one on board, I think it's called a Wonderwash. It has a screw-on cap and uses the frothing of the powder to create pressure which drives the dirt out (says the manual). We actually find it really good for smalls and t-shirts but nothing bigger or heavier than that, and you have to be careful not to overload it.

Off topic but -

have you considered a small camping type twin tub?

We bought one years ago and its still running off a 160W inverter. Good for small stuff and will wash jeans at a push...

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Off topic but -

We bought one years ago and its still running off a 160W inverter. Good for small stuff and will wash jeans at a push...

We have one and it actually washes as well as the 'big-auto' at home, AND gets them much drier which is good news for boat use.

They work well for small items, we've been using one for a couple of years. If you have space, white knight do a very lightweight spin dryer which is excellent and easy to move.

I wash small things every day by hand, yes its a total pain, and I need to visit a launderette every month. I have a washing machine on board, but I have yet to try it 

Partly due to environmental issues, and parrtly due to being unsure of the electrickery.

/safety issues.

I would rather use a small twin tub than a washing machine, for one person.

Edited by LadyG

We don't have an automatic washing machine on the boat - smalls are hand washed and bigger stuff goes to the local laundry or occasionally to a launderette or pub with a public washing machine. We do have the use of a portable two handed dishwasher when he is not too busy with other stuff . . .

Yes, my wife assumed responsibility for dhobeying the smalls but she has developed osteo arthritis in her left hand. I stepped up to the mark but she has decided to get one of these machines. We will see.

On 15/03/2021 at 09:52, OldGoat said:

Off topic but -

I have one of these portable ‘twin tub’ washers for sale at a very reasonable price if anyone is interested. Not sure what the forum guidelines are for selling stuff but I think you can just DM me if interested. I’m sure someone will correct me if that’s wrong...

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2021 at 12:45, ronnietucker said:

Haven't used one, so don't know if they're any good, but there are USB powered ones that are a fan in the bottom of an expanding bucket. There's also just the USB powered fan thing that you can pop in any bucket.

bigclivedotcom did a teardown of a USB powered washing machine. I wouldn't buy one but I do like bigclive's vids. (Some of them contain assorted rudeness)

There also exist minimalist bag-wash thingies... have a look at this Scrubba but also note the competition.  I think I would want a spin cycle.

• Greenie 1

I researched small washing machines suitable for my NB have just fitted one of these in the wardrobe behind the bathroom where the shower plumbing just happens to be perfect for supply and waste...

https://m.costway.co.uk/2-in-1-free-standing-compact-automatic-washing-machine.html

It is compact, fairly lightweight, fully automatic, has a drain pump and only consumes 240 watts.

A bonus is that water level and consumption can be selected and a full wash takes 40 minutes.