Surveyor who'll travel to Doncaster

NB DW2

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for a full survey including hull, running of the engine and general check of equipment on board.  My preference is Steve Hand who's an hour away but wondered if anyone could recommend a surveyor that'd be prepared to travel to Doncaster?

Thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

He’ll probably condemn the boat.

He's always been very helpful when he's been to me, this has included full surveys, BSS and some help and advice when I was part way through my new build.

6 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

He's always been very helpful when he's been to me, this has included full surveys, BSS and some help and advice when I was part way through my new build.

Part way = more payments in the pipeline

4 minutes ago, Laurie Booth I.S.M. said:

Please do

:)

I made it clear enough, I don't wish to say any more,

3 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

Absolutely confused here.  Does somebody know something about the boat I should know about?

What boat'

Edited by LadyG

For clarity:   membership of any Surveyors Association,will not guarantee that the surveyor is good, experienced,, or  have a high degree of integrity

He may have, but it is not guaranteed.

A novice boater has to assume that if he gets a good surveyor,the boat will be as descrbed.

I would never engage any random surveyor for a particular job if I was not at the inspection.

Edited by LadyG

43 minutes ago, LadyG said:

He is not gas reg, I will say no more.

I will say more! 

Mike Boulton has done two BSS examinations for me and he knows what he is looking at!

I found him fair and helpful 

.Had a survey done by Ricky Tropman of Chesterfield and again found him fair and helpful.

Have the people doing the slagging off had a survey or BSS done by Mike Boulton.?

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Part way = more payments in the pipeline

Just to clarify, Mike at Blue Star Surveys has always been very helpful and fair in my dealings with him. He came for an 'informal chat' with me on my request part way through my new build and gave me a few pointers which I hadn't considered. A year later, he again came to check and issue my Boat Safety certificate.

I cannot comment for others who may or may not have had such a good service.

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

For clarity:   membership of any Surveyors Association,will not guarantee that the surveyor is good, experienced,, or  have a high degree of integrity

He may have, but it is not guaranteed.

A novice boater has to assume that if he gets a good surveyor,the boat will be as descrbed.

I would never engage any random surveyor for a particular job if I was not at the inspection.

I don't think anyone is talking about engaging a random surveyor. Steve Hands has always been well recommended here, and Mike Boulton has been highly recommended on this thread by more than one person.

Have you had a bad experience with either of them? You make it sound like you may have used Mike Boulton and, because he is not gas registered, (he may or may not be, I dont know), you had to get someone else to have a look, thus costing you more money. I am guessing, and you are not clear.

You use the words "For Clarity", but the post quoted above seems, (to me), to be random ramblings that may, or may not, be related to the OP or any other posts here.

1 hour ago, NB DW2 said:

Absolutely confused here.  Does somebody know something about the boat I should know about?

No it’s nothing to do with your boat.

everyone will have opinions on Surveyors, Speak to Strawberry Island they should have a contact list of various surveyors that have done work in the Marina.

You will get Surveyors that will cover their backs with every aspect of the survey and ones that will have a more common sense approach to the whole aspect.

The only ones I’v had problems with are the ones that primarily survey off shore boats and do the odd Narrowboat and their suggestions and recommendations have not been applicable for the canals, hence my original comment.

I have pm.d the OP. 

He asked for a recommendation. 

I recommend that If OP wants a boat surveyed that he is present at the survey and makes sure the job is done thoroughly. It will be a worthwhile exercise. 

Edited by LadyG

I personally know of a few reasons why I cannot recommend him involving 3x different boats, all of which have had second opinions and all boats have been fine with all buyers being happy with their purchases. Maybe he should stick to off shore.

But this is a public forum so I will not discuss in depth. The OP asked for recommendations of Surveyors and I too cannot recommend MB.

Edited by PD1964