Compost toilet size

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Alternatives need to be found before bans occur or you're not gaining anything

C&RT are not obliged to provide any facilities (no, not even bins, or elsans, or visitors moorings) and they can by Law introduce charges for ANY service the provide, I'd suggest that boaters need to be very careful how hard they "poke C&RT with the big stick", the actions of the few could lead to repercussions that will affect the majority.

Would it not be fairer for 200 boaters to have their licence revoked, than 30,000 boater being charged an extra (?) £500 per annum to empty composting bins ?

Your comment would suggest that anything that a boater does that needs some 'facilities' should be provided by C&RT

• Greenie 4

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

Just to put you inthe picture, there is a massive post about these toilets: essentially, he CRT have changed the rules, and in the future, the residues have to be disposed of in a garden, and not just any random garden!

I thought the new ruling only stated that waste from composting toilets shouldn't be disposed of in CRT facilities, not that it should be disposed of in a garden? Surely they don't have any jurisdiction on how exactly to dispose of waste if it's not using their facilities? One might have access to a composting bin or heap not in a garden for example.

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I thought the new ruling only stated that waste from composting toilets shouldn't be disposed of in CRT facilities, not that it should be disposed of in a garden? Surely they don't have any jurisdiction on how exactly to dispose of waste if it's not using their facilities? One might have access to a composting bin or heap not in a garden for example.

No mention of gardens :

If you’re considering getting a separator/compost toilet for your boat, please only do so if you have the ability to completely compost the solid waste from your toilet yourself or have access to somewhere that will do this for you.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No mention of gardens :

If you’re considering getting a separator/compost toilet for your boat, please only do so if you have the ability to completely compost the solid waste from your toilet yourself or have access to somewhere that will do this for you.

How about a 'composting boat' - bit like the fuels boats... maybe some enterprising person would consider?  with a side line of tomatoes?  :)

43 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

How about a 'composting boat' - bit like the fuels boats... maybe some enterprising person would consider?  with a side line of tomatoes?  :)

This comes into the same category as "why not provide a network of composting points?" -- it sounds fine, until you look at the costs and practicalities, and the fact that it all has to be paid for by a few hundred bag'n'binners -- my guesstimate was that there are about 600 of them today (2% of boaters), and the cost of a network would be perhaps somewhere between £10 and £20 per week each, which is about 2x - 4x the cost of pumpouts (£15 every 3 weeks or so typical)

Given that you'd need at least half a dozen "poo boats" roaming the system to collect the "compost" and each would need paying for (and they'd then have to dispose of it), I don't think this would be significantly cheaper -- never mind the problem of what to do if the poo boat doesn't come your way, or is late, or stoppages -- and I don't mean ones in the toilet...

And since one of the reasons for installing these toilets is to avoid paying for pumpouts or the problems of arranging them -- just chuck it in the nearest bin! -- it seems unlikely that they'll be willing to have this hassle *and* pay more than pumpouts would cost.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Night Soil and other euphemisms… | The Gardens Trust

image.jpeg

Apparently not, in some people's minds -- for them, poo disposal (even if it's their poo) should be Somebody Else's Problem (SEP)... ?

Edited by IanD

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Getting a real education today..... night soil men must have been a tough lot!!

Gongfermors... ?

"Despite being well-rewarded, the role of gong farmer was considered by historians on television series The Worst Jobs in History to be one of the worst of the Tudor period.[6] Those employed at Hampton Court during the time of Queen Elizabeth I, for instance, were paid sixpence a day—a good living for the period—but the working life of a gong farmer was "spent up to his knees, waist, even neck in human ordure".[7] They were only allowed to work at night, between 9pm and 5am.[nb 1] They were permitted to live only in specified areas, and were sometimes overcome by asphyxiation from the noxious fumes produced by human excrement. "

Hey, here's an idea about what to do to bag'n'binners who ignore CaRTs rules after Dec 2021...

"The penalties for not disposing of waste in the approved manner could be harsh. One London gong farmer who poured effluent down a drain was put in one of his own pipes filled up to his neck with filth, before being publicly displayed in Golden Lane with a sign detailing his crime.[11]"

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

It was all so simple in the 60s when we had a few hireboats.   They were just fitted with simple toilets called SL400s which pumped it all straight into the cut to join the same from birds fish and voles.   We had a trip boat with a bar and that had an Elsan bucket which used to fill when we took a rugby club.   I emptied it over the side to the dismay of one drinker who was washing a tankard in the canal and happened to look back just as I tipped it out.   Too many boats now though.   Sea going boats were the same but now most countries ban their use close to the coast.   I still remember the awful smell in Ibiza Palma and Sliema harbours caused by the town sewers going straight into the ports in the 1970s.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

Sea going boats were the same but now most countries ban their use close to the coast. 

Even 'grey' water (washing up, showers etc) is not allowed to be discharged in territorial waters of some Med countries.

You have a card which records your pump out volumes and if your pump out record does not tie-up with what you should be pumping out (no of people x no of days x ? litres) then there are very large fines.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even 'grey' water (washing up, showers etc) is not allowed to be discharged in territorial waters of some Med countries.

You have a card which records your pump out volumes and if your pump out record does not tie-up with what you should be pumping out (no of people x no of days x ? litres) then there are very large fines.

Yes, I have now sold my sailboat in Sant Carles and the marina issues annual certificates for each boat and the local environmentalists appear round the pontoons quite often.

32 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

It was all so simple in the 60s when we had a few hireboats.   They were just fitted with simple toilets called SL400s which pumped it all straight into the cut to join the same from birds fish and voles.   We had a trip boat with a bar and that had an Elsan bucket which used to fill when we took a rugby club.   I emptied it over the side to the dismay of one drinker who was washing a tankard in the canal and happened to look back just as I tipped it out.   Too many boats now though.   Sea going boats were the same but now most countries ban their use close to the coast.   I still remember the awful smell in Ibiza Palma and Sliema harbours caused by the town sewers going straight into the ports in the 1970s.

And what happened when the navigation company said it had to stop, the people changed the toilets to ones that disposed of it in a more sanitary way.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And what happened when the navigation company said it had to stop, the people changed the toilets to ones that disposed of it in a more sanitary way.

Indeed they did, but that was in the days when folks did what they were told to do, not this modern "I'm entitled" and "everyone owes me a living" that we seem to increasingly  come across 'these days'.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And that is presumably the time when BW started building Sanitary Stations. I watched the one at Knowle Top Lock going up opposite my mooring in about 1973.

On 15/03/2021 at 12:11, robtheplod said:

I think CRT need to get real. If they ban composting from their bins then it will occur anyway if no alternatives are in place. If they take the bins away, it will appear along the towpath, in the hedges or canal if no alternatives are in place. Alternatives need to be found before bans occur or you're not gaining anything - you're actually making it worse, with greater cleanup/disposal costs....  CRT have not previously discouraged boaters from composting toilets so this is partly a problem of their own making?

No CRT tried to be accommodating but the problem has now grown to big in some areas.

Putting it in a hedge etc means you are breaking environmental laws about pollution and safe disposal so you could be taken to court and fined. 

• Greenie 1