Buying A Dog

Parahandy

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Think pets being sold online, such as Gumtree should be banned. I heard from a GSD forum that morons pick up the dogs for using them for baiting in dog fighting. 

It's terrifying imagining why dog thieves do what they do, I'm pretty sure it's not because they 'love' dogs.

Watch out for cable ties

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/dog-owners-warned-thieves-after-19886257

There are nine People charged in Milton Keynes Jennifer surprisingly under the Trades Descriptions Act for claiming Dogs they were selling on Gumtree had Vaccinations .

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/crime/13-people-milton-keynes-charged-lying-about-condition-puppies-they-were-selling-3084562

Sorry make that 13 Jennifer

Edited by Parahandy
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Beo said:

http://chng.it/TskgJPprMj

Link to a petition at change.org asking for the banning of selling pets on Gumtree 

Signed it.... thank you. I've signed so many of these petitions over the years, maybe one day live animals being sold on Gumtree will be banned - we can hope.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Wonder what the punishment for these guys will actually be? 

BBC News - Stolen dogs investigation finds 83 pets in Ipswich raid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-56475355

So it looks as if it was organised crime, not just opportunist individuals. That's startling.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

So it looks as if it was organised crime, not just opportunist individuals. That's startling.

Not really.  Even the really stupid thieves generally know better than to nick next door's dog then try and sell it to next-door-but-one!

On 16/03/2021 at 06:45, Ange said:

Our cojack (Corgi/JRT cross) Millie was given to us for free at the age of 6 because her previous owner was no longer able to cope with her. We had her until last year when we had to have her put to sleep at the age of 15. It shocked me how much it upset me, I cried for days. I still talk to her occasionally.

Have to agree that having to have a dog put down is probably one of the worst days of your life. I've had to do it twice, once with an Old English Sheepdog in 1992 (aged 12) and once with a Newfoundland in 2008 (aged 15) and whilst death is normally something that 'just happens', it always hurts to have to give the vet instructions to put down your best mate. I still have thoughts about the one in 1992 because the vet b*ggered up the injection and the OES went into a horrible full body muscle spasm and I felt I'd let him down by not getting a competent vet to do the job. The Newfie on the other hand just peacefully 'went to sleep' and I've always felt comfortable with that one.

Now contemplating another Newfie (it'll be a squeeze on the boat but you only live once!):rolleyes:

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Have to agree that having to have a dog put down is probably one of the worst days of your life

Agreed, and after 5 times it still hasn't got any easier, but just think of it as doing for them the one great kindness that they can't do for themselves. There will be a great group waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge!

• Love 1

Also agreed. We have been with the Border Collie rescue for 35 years and have had 5 dogs in that time. Obviously they are always older dogs so their time with you is limited. The last one, Molly, was a brilliant dog and much loved. She became very ill whilst out on the boat on the Shroppie. We didn't know if a vet would come out to a boat but, thankfully we were near Chester so managed to get her to a vet in Christleton where she was put to sleep. The decision was made not to have another dog , this was 3 years ago, and we have stuck to this although we do miss having a dog in the house/boat. We are both retired and have enjoyed the fact we are no longer tied with a dog to consider so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Re dog stealing. I was chatting to another dog owner the other day, a meek looking, educated guy circa 65 or 70. Ex archeologist.

He mentioned the subject then drew a firearm and said let 'em try!

He said it was a starter gun!

Edited by mark99

Round this way, a certain bashed up grey van, number plate recorded and passed to Police has been touring the parks asking questions to owners about their dogs. In the van is often one or two other guys with plently of choke chains laid about. That was about a month ago.

On 21/03/2021 at 15:55, TheBiscuits said:

Not really.  Even the really stupid thieves generally know better than to nick next door's dog then try and sell it to next-door-but-one!

They nick em for breeding.

11 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Round this way, a certain bashed up grey van, number plate recorded and passed to Police has been touring the parks asking questions to owners about their dogs. In the van is often one or two other guys with plently of choke chains laid about. That was about a month ago.

They nick em for breeding.

Surely most pets have been spayed so how does that work?

5 minutes ago, sueb said:

Surely most pets have been spayed so how does that work?

Our local boarding kennel had a break in about 10 years ago, cut in through back fence and stole just 3 dogs that belonged to one person. The castrated male was found tied to the signpost about a mile away

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Our local boarding kennel had a break in about 10 years ago, cut in through back fence and stole just 3 dogs that belonged to one person. The castrated male was found tied to the signpost about a mile away

One tip I have heard if anybody engages you in casual conversation about your bitch is to make sure you get in the conversation that they have been neutered (spayed)  even if they have not been.

Less easy to lie though if its a dog, but if he has been make sure you mention it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To add missing words

dogs.jpg.56866c7566d8743c5176241cc8a0653b.jpg

Only ever managed to get eight of the above aboard nb Albert at the same time. My two daughters dogs from about 15 years ago. Mostly rescue dogs with one pedigree and an assistance dog reject thrown in for good measure.

Any one wish to guess which one is a pedigree?

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

48 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

dogs.jpg.56866c7566d8743c5176241cc8a0653b.jpg

Only ever managed to get eight of the above aboard nb Albert at the same time. My two daughters dogs from about 15 years ago. Mostly rescue dogs with one pedigree and an assistance dog reject thrown in for good measure.

Any one wish to guess which one is a pedigree?

The floorcloth at the front?

8 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Nope - that's Bracket. Rescue dog - found with his sister tied up to some railings outside a pub in Coventry.

I think I can guess what that sister is called.

Came across this recently:

A Dog's Last Will & Testament

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cosy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…

The love I left behind.

– Author Unknown

• Sad 4