Buying A Dog

Parahandy

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've got a mongrel/cross.  Mother a Patterdale terrier, father a cocker spaniel.  Described to me by the (accidental) breeder, a neighbour, as a Cockerdale.  Better than the other way round, I suppose.........

It is convention that the breed of the father comes first, followed by the breed of the Mother.

It would appear that you pooch is a 'Cockpatter'.

19 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I realised that .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-56387421

This is another worrying situation which seems to be on the increase

No doubt due to the increased demand for dogs and the resulting huge price increases. I remember about 15 years ago my mum bought a Weimerana puppy with lineage to a Crufts runner-up for £400. Now such a puppy would cost at least £2,500. Even cross breeds go for several hundred pounds these days.

The alternative is to get a rescue dog - otherwise known as a free dog! I've never really understood why they're called rescue dogs? It's not like the new owners have had to climb across glaciers and up mountains to rescue them. I guess people just want to make themselves feel good. Free dogs I call them.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No doubt due to the increased demand for dogs and the resulting huge price increases. I remember about 15 years ago my mum bought a Weimerana puppy with lineage to a Crufts runner-up for £400. Now such a puppy would cost at least £2,500. Even cross breeds go for several hundred pounds these days.

The alternative is to get a rescue dog - otherwise known as a free dog! I've never really understood why they're called rescue dogs? It's not like the new owners have had to climb across glaciers and up mountains to rescue them. I guess people just want to make themselves feel good. Free dogs I call them.

They are actually rarely 'free' though.

But do come considerably cheaper than from a breeder admittedly.

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

A rescue dog is seldom "free" !  A rescue dog is one which has to be found another home because the owners no longer wish to keep it for whatever reason. There are numerous rescue dog organisations up and down the country where the organisers try to find suitable homes for these dogs and they are in the main very careful that the right home is found to avoid the situation where the dog is passed from pillar to post. These organisations normally ask for a donation for the dog. Having to pay for something hopefully the people will value it more than one they got for free.

haggis

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, haggis said:

A rescue dog is seldom "free" !  A rescue dog is one which has to be found another home because the owners no longer wish to keep it for whatever reason. There are numerous rescue dog organisations up and down the country where the organisers try to find suitable homes for these dogs and they are in the main very careful that the right home is found to avoid the situation where the dog is passed from pillar to post. These organisations normally ask for a donation for the dog. Having to pay for something hopefully the people will value it more than one they got for free.

haggis

That's our experience with our mutt. We got him from a "rescue centre" and were given the third degree over 3 visits to the centre, plus a home inspection, before we were allowed to have him. He had at least 2 other previous owners even though he was only 9 months old, so took some straightening out when we got him! I think we paid £200 for him over ten years ago. 

Sadly I think there will be a lot of abandoned dogs about once this pandemic is under control and people return to work/school and the demands of dog ownership are fully felt. 

All that said my daughter did land a 'rescue' dog 'free' by rehoming one direct form his previous home. A couple had bought him and subsequently adopted two kids. They found that they couldn't cope with two kids, working and a Labrador. A mutual friend put them in touch as she knew my daughter was looking to buy a lab puppy.

He was about two when she got him. Possibly one of the gentlest dogs going (people always say that!). She was a bit concerned about the reason for re-homing but they reassured her he was fine with the kids just that the workload was proving too much. He has proven to be a great companion and is as soft as anything with her niece (our granddaughter).

George.

George_1.jpg

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

My last three dogs have been rescue dogs. None have been free.

The first, a mongrel acquired in 1988 cost me £30 plus compulsory neutering, about £100 then IIRC FROM Battersea Dogs Home.

The second, the mongrel in my avatar acquired in 2001 cost £90 plus £150 neutering from the RSPCA.

The third, my current pedigree GSD, acquired in 2015 cost £300 plus £300 neutering and essential tooth extraction from GSD Rescue.

Then there are costs for training/rehabilitation, insurance and vets bills.

Dogs are anything but free, even if you are given one.

• Greenie 2

A fortnight after we lost Millie some close friends found Belle. She was advertised on Gumtree of all places. (Ithink this practise should be banned.)

She was owned by, at the time, a 16 year old lad who lived with his single mum. 

New boyfriend came along and said "It is the dog or me." The woman put an advert for Bell for £180.

Once she had the money in her hand she couldn't wait to get us and dog out of the house.

The lad was in tears.

We have now had Belle for just over two years.

You could refer to her as a "preowned dog."

Not so keen on the boat as Millie was but with patience we are getting there.

She does however love walking along towpaths.

IMGP4730.JPG

IMGP3479.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

A fortnight after we lost Millie some close friends found Belle. She was advertised on Gumtree of all places. (Ithink this practise should be banned.)

She was owned by, at the time a 16 year old lad who lived with his single mum. 

New boyfriend came along and said "It is the dog or me." The woman put an advert for Bell for £180.

Once she had the money in her hand she couldn't wait to get us and dog out of the house.

The lad was in tears.

We have now had Belle for just over two years.

You could refer to her as a "preowned dog."

Not so keen on the boat as Millie was but with patience we are getting there.

She does however love walking along towpaths.

IMGP4730.JPG

IMGP3479.JPG

My sympathy here is with the 16-year old lad. Imagine having a lovely little dog like that dragged away from you.  It hardly bears thinking about.

• Greenie 3

parson loverly dog .i nearly went for one but i went for the lakeland terrier ,and like you i have had dogs my entire life ,and i have never had a bad one ever .but i have had this lakeland nearly 9 years and what a pleasure it is to be the owner of such loverly animal .no bad dogs just bad owners

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

All that said my daughter did land a 'rescue' dog 'free' by rehoming one direct form his previous home. A couple had bought him and subsequently adopted two kids. They found that they couldn't cope with two kids, working and a Labrador. A mutual friend put them in touch as she knew my daughter was looking to buy a lab puppy.

He was about two when she got him. Possibly one of the gentlest dogs going (people always say that!). She was a bit concerned about the reason for re-homing but they reassured her he was fine with the kids just that the workload was proving too much. He has proven to be a great companion and is as soft as anything with her niece (our granddaughter).

George.

George_1.jpg

That is how a Labrador should look like , what beautiful coat 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

My sympathy here is with the 16-year old lad. Imagine having a lovely little dog like that dragged away from you.  It hardly bears thinking about.

For six months after we had Belle I kept in touch with the lad and sent photo’s, video’s and plotted some of our walks on Google Earth to let him know Belle was / is being loved and cared for.

• Greenie 4

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:

For six months after we had Belle I kept in touch with the lad and sent photo’s, video’s and plotted some of our walks on Google Earth to let him know Belle was / is being loved and cared for.

The daughter of the breeder of our JRT texts Mrs HN every new years eve wishing him happy birthday. He was obviously born 31st Dec.

Mrs HN always replies with where he has been with us during the year and what hes been up to.

People who aren't 'doggy' people wont 'get' this.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Our cojack (Corgi/JRT cross) Millie was given to us for free at the age of 6 because her previous owner was no longer able to cope with her. We had her until last year when we had to have her put to sleep at the age of 15. It shocked me how much it upset me, I cried for days. I still talk to her occasionally.

IMG_20201203_064517.jpg

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

3 dogs die and go to heaven.

St Peter meets them at the pearly gates and asks them why they should be allowed to enter God's kingdom.

The labrador says "I have been loyal and faithful to my master all my life".  St Peter invites him in and directs him to sit in the seat on God's left-hand side.

The German Shepherd says "I was prepared to die in defence of my master".  St Peter invites him in and directs him to sit in the seat on God's right-hand side.

The Schnauzer asks St Peter "who is the bloke sitting in the middle, in my seat?"

schnauzer-standard-dog-portrait-wallpaper.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

Think pets being sold online, such as Gumtree should be banned. I heard from a GSD forum that morons pick up the dogs for using them for baiting in dog fighting. 

It's terrifying imagining why dog thieves do what they do, I'm pretty sure it's not because they 'love' dogs.

Watch out for cable ties

Dog owners are being urged to stay vigilant after reports thieves have been marking properties where pets live.

Cable ties have appeared on signs near to homes in Bulkington where dogs are kept.

Nuneaton and Bedworth Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) now has a dedicated officer dealing with dog thefts.

The role includes gathering evidence and intelligence about suspicious vehicles.

Police Sergeant Elliott Butler explained that dog thefts are a national issue currently, with a spike across the whole country as well as locally.

"It is very concerning especially as these aren’t just people’s personal property but loved family members," he said.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/dog-owners-warned-thieves-after-19886257

Edited by Jennifer McM

It is very worrying how prevalent dog stealing has become and I think everyone who has a dog should be extra vigilant. They seem to operate in a number of ways from someone going round to identify houses with dogs in them (the cable tie theory), or by a vehicle stopping and starts by asking directions and as you move nearer the vehicle to give them, the accomplice gets out of the passenger side and comes round and unclips your dog and they are off before you can stop them, or they meet you while walking and they stop to admire your dog and ask questions about him in an interested way then they grab the dog and run off, or if the dogs are kenneled outside, they break into the kennels and steal the dogs during the night.  It is very worrying as when they get the dog, they can use it for badger baiting, dog fighting, selling (often after cutting out the microchip). One thing is that they won't have stolen the dog to be a well loved member of the family.

All those with dogs, keep them safe

haggis

37 minutes ago, haggis said:

It is very worrying how prevalent dog stealing has become and I think everyone who has a dog should be extra vigilant. They seem to operate in a number of ways from someone going round to identify houses with dogs in them (the cable tie theory), or by a vehicle stopping and starts by asking directions and as you move nearer the vehicle to give them, the accomplice gets out of the passenger side and comes round and unclips your dog and they are off before you can stop them, or they meet you while walking and they stop to admire your dog and ask questions about him in an interested way then they grab the dog and run off, or if the dogs are kenneled outside, they break into the kennels and steal the dogs during the night.  It is very worrying as when they get the dog, they can use it for badger baiting, dog fighting, selling (often after cutting out the microchip). One thing is that they won't have stolen the dog to be a well loved member of the family.

All those with dogs, keep them safe

haggis

Doghorn https://doghorn.uk/ offer good advice on reducing your chances of being a victim of dog theft.

I bought a red coloured spray from them and keep it in my dog walking coat pocket.

https://doghorn.uk/product/red-dye-self-defence-spray

If someone tries to take Zeus I can threaten to spray them and hopefully they will back off. If they do manage to take him, I can spray the dog, making him very identifiable and impossible to sell on.

Edited by cuthound
  • Greenie 1