Buying A Dog

Parahandy

Featured Posts

It is great to know that there are some very reputable breeders around if you know where to look.

I suspect that the demand for dogs due to people being at home during lockdown has a lot to do with the price increases.

I hope that everything goes well and that the dogs get on.

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The price of mongrels has increased tenfold now that they are trendy

How very last-century! Surely, just as no one builds "flats" any more, they're all "apartments", so no one ever has a "mongrel", they have a "cross".

Our JRT cost us £200 7 years ago.

I have seen them going for 10 times that during the pandemic.

I would be considering a rescue, if you can find one, demand for them has apparently rocketed too.

edit - ah just seen you are sorted.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Our JRT cost us £200 7 years ago.

I have seen them going for 10 times that during the pandemic.

I would be considering a rescue, if you can find one, demand for them has apparently rocketed too.

I did try but so many were closed during lockdown and one completely ignored me as soon as I mentioned boat . Terrier Rescue down in Gatwick that was . 

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

How very last-century! Surely, just as no one builds "flats" any more, they're all "apartments", so no one ever has a "mongrel", they have a "cross".

Betraying our advancing years some of us old blokes ? I did speak to a friend on the Jaguar Forum who has two " crossbreeds " and he was stressing their hardiness with no typical health problems you find in Pure bred dogs

15 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I did speak to a friend on the Jaguar Forum who has two " crossbreeds " and he was stressing their hardiness with no typical health problems you find in Pure bred dogs

Not unlike mongrels, then.

:D

1 minute ago, Parahandy said:

You will be desperate to get using that new Tiller Handle Dave , any news on the Pram Hood ?

Dead right I am, not long to wait though each day is a long one.  The pram hood requires rather more patience, about six weeks to go until measure up, then about the same to make and fit.

Here's our bored Mutt waiting to board. 

IMG_0637.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

The price of mongrels has increased tenfold now that they are trendy

Their not Mongrels to their fashionable young owners they’re  “Designer”

Cockerpoo’s, Labradoodles and whatever other designer dogs can fit into a onesie and their Gucci handbag ?

Edited by PD1964
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Their not Mongrels to their fashionable young owners they’re  “Designer”

Cockerpoo’s, Labradoodles and whatever other designer dogs can fit into a onesie and their Gucci handbag ?

Wiki:  A mongrel, mutt or mixed-breed dog is a dog that does not belong to one officially recognized breed and is not the result of intentional breeding.

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

..............    he was stressing their hardiness with no typical health problems you find in Pure bred dogs

I would agree with that, both our mini schnauzers (from different breeders) have suffered from pinched spinal cord in the neck requiring major surgery.  Lovely dogs, but ........

I was told that insurance is cheaper for cross-breeds and mongrels than for recognised breeds.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

Imagine only 300 Pedigree Parsons Terriers in the whole of Britain last year Tonka , that really surprised me

i was referring to all the shittypoo's and all the designer mongrel's. Not your terrier.

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Wiki:  A mongrel, mutt or mixed-breed dog is a dog that does not belong to one officially recognized breed and is not the result of intentional breeding.

That fits our Athena then! Mum got out at the wrong time and had encounters with two local male dogs. The resulting litter of puppies had two different sets of characteristics!

20191126_133321.jpg.d91e6a1b193d65057a10969f520629c8.jpg

• Greenie 1

We brought home a beautiful 13 year old whippet from the dogs trust last year. Before that we had a rescue Jack. She was lovely, completely mad and cost us £50. That was the cost for the person boarding her while we were away. I was told by a multi dog owning friend that they would never pay £50 for a Jack Russell (even though they had more than one).  Our Jack might have been pretty mad but was loving, loyal and wonderful. Best £50 we ever spent. She did have her moments though, but that's a Jack. If you've had one you will probably understand.

Edited by Ianws
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Ianws said:

We brought home a beautiful 13 year old whippet from the dogs trust last year. Before that we had a rescue Jack. She was lovely, completely mad and cost us £50. That was the cost for the person boarding her while we were away. I was told by a multi dog owning friend that they would never pay £50 for a Jack Russell (even though they had more than one).  Out Jack might have been pretty mad but was loving, loyal and wonderful. Best £50 we ever spent. She did have her moments though, but that's a Jack. If you've had one you will probably understand.

2 jacks in and I would never have another type. Love them to bits.

Defiant, but very trainable.