Sad Death Of A Child On The K&A

Parahandy

Featured Posts

I am not sure what has happened, but it is very sad. 

I disagree with all this 'petitioning' nonsense which seems to be the knee jerk reaction nowadays. 

Accidents have happened from time immemorial, is someone saying there is some sort of sequence of events that led to the death of a child or the murder of a teenage girl which can be interrupted so there will be no more murders no more drownings? 

I think this has taken hold due to the effect and worldwide adoption of 'Black Lives Matter'. The death of blacks both in this country and particularly in the  USA has been what can be described as Instituntional, that's a different matter. 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am not sure what has happened, but it is very sad. 

I disagree with all this 'petitioning' nonsense which seems to be the knee jerk reaction nowadays. 

Accidents have happened from time immemorial, is someone saying there is some sort of sequence of events that lead to the death of a child or the murder of a teenage girl that can be interrupted so there will be no more murders no. More drownings? 

I think this has taken hold due to the effect and worldwide adoption of 'Black Lives Matter'. The death of blacks both in this country and particularly in the  USA has been what can be described as Instituntional, that's a different matter. 

Which murdered teenage girl are you referring to?

On 14/03/2021 at 14:40, Parahandy said:

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/34015/child-dies-after-falling-into-kennet-avon-canal-in-newbury.html

Some of the behaviour I have witnessed during Lockdown its a wonder we dont see more of this , Sympathies to the family .

What sort of behaviour?

Edited by blackrose

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Which murdered teenage girl are you referring to?

I think this may be a reference to Sarah Everard, a young woman who was killed at the beginning of this month. But she was no longer a teenager: she was in her early '30s.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think this may be a reference to Sarah Everard, a young woman who was killed at the beginning of this month. But she was no longer a teenager: she was in her early '30s.

Yes, that is the murder currently on the nation's conscience. It seems a bit odd to refer to a woman in her 30s as a teenage girl.

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, that is the murder currently on the nation's conscience. It seems a bit odd to refer to a woman in her 30s as a teenage girl.

I assume it was a mistake. We've all made them.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed - "the man that never made a mistake, never made anything"

But some seem to make so many mistakes and errors that it appears to be either their raison d'etre, or, a plea for attention.

That may not be the one she is referring to and you may all be making mistakes 

• Greenie 1

Back on topic.

I have always considered the area just upstream of the towpath bridge over the weir as not ideal safety wise. There is a surfaced footpath coming from a bit of green, mowed space joining the towpath and absolutely nothing to stop a runaway child or drunk falling into an area of fast current as the river goes over the weir. I agree with the petitioners, it needs about 3 M of fencing there.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed - "the man that never made a mistake, never made anything"

But some seem to make so many mistakes and errors that it appears to be either their raison d'etre, or, a plea for attention.

I think it was a generic example, rather than specific, in accordance with the rest of the post. It's sometimes better to read a post to get the entire drift of an argument, whether one agrees with it or not, and then, should one wish, engage with the issue rather than just to try to find something with which to attack the arguer personally. A little petty, perhaps.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Oh sorry, I just saw a photo, looked about thirteen.

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Back on topic.

I have always considered the area just upstream of the towpath bridge over the weir as not ideal safety wise. There is a surfaced footpath coming from a bit of green, mowed space joining the towpath and absolutely nothing to stop a runaway child or drunk falling into an area of fast current as the river goes over the weir. I agree with the petitioners, it needs about 3 M of fencing there.

And one of the news reports I saw said it is very close to a children's playground, so an area where you can expect a higher number of children to be about.

And whilst children of an age to be using a playground should be properly supervised by a parent or other adult, which of us who has had children can honestly say that we that we watched over them every minute in potentially hazardous situations?

Edited by David Mack

It is fairly to the playground but there is the width of a dual carriageway bridge plus several yards between the playground and the weir. If a fence was erected along the length closer to the playground then the main Newbury moorings would be unusable but barriers along the park might help. When I have observed the current at varying times of the year it is far  less strong than closer to the weir. 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Back on topic.

you are probably correct but no doubt there will be a legal beagle in the background advising that if you put up 3 metres of fence you are admitting that you consider that a river or canal bank is a hazard and thereby you are taking responsibility for preventing kids from falling into the water, so you should fence off the whole length of the waterway through Newbury's patch. 

It reminds me of the "BEWARE DANGEROUS DOG" signs people used to put on their front gates, that were then used as evidence that the dog-owner knowingly kept a dangerous dog and thereby must take responsibility when a scrote gets bitten while trying to break in.

My Mum used to reminisce about playing in Roundhay Park in Leeds when she was a kid.  Then about 20 years ago she told me that the council fenced off the ponds.  She lived in Otley and when I took her for a walk along the Wharfe she was horrified to find it had been fenced off as well.  It would seem that childrens' safety is the responsibility of "the authority", not the parents.  Welcome to the nanny state.

• Greenie 1