What hose attachments do I need?

Porcupine

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Porcupine said:

Hi,

I’m a newbie who’s just bought a narrowboat. I have a hosepipe. What attachments do I need so I can fill her up from any water point I come across? 

thanks very much, 

matt

Some have a barbed outlet that you simply push your hose on and secure with a hose clip to prevent it blowing off.Some have a male threaded conection and you screw a (usually) plastic female conector on. The water points I have come across have had both types of outlet on.But I am in England and not London.

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-threaded-outdoor-tap-connector/52973

one like that, in fact two, or three, because at some point you will merrily cruise off after filling your tank leaving it behind on the tap :) 

Definitely on the list of things you need spares of when cruising. I'd include at least one spare windlass, handcuff key and watermate key in that.

Thanks, Jen. 

Do these keys help you unlock waterpoints etc..? Do you know where I can get them from? 

Also - if you can think of anything a newbie would really benefit from knowing/having before he hits the cut, I’d really appreciate it 

Me and my partner have done lots of research but I’m sure we’ve missed lots of stuff that would really help us. Very excited to be starting a new adventure. We’re picking up our boat on April 1st. Yes, not the best date perhaps but hey.... 

Thanks so much,

Matt

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-threaded-outdoor-tap-connector/52973

one like that, in fact two, or three, because at some point you will merrily cruise off after filling your tank leaving it behind on the tap :) 

A couple of 5 packs would be better, these things like to jump into canals; trust me on that point. :)

2 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

A couple of 5 packs would be better, these things like to jump into canals; trust me on that point.

Poundland offer a pack of 5 connectors, and joining adapters at the princely sum of (you guessed it) £1

Not the best quality but you get everything you need except the hose, from the tap connector to the 'spray/shower' gun.

Worth having a couple of packs in the JIC cupboard.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Porcupine said:

Thanks, Jen. 

Do these keys help you unlock waterpoints etc..? Do you know where I can get them from? 

Watermate key, you will definitely need a couple of. I've linked to Midland SwinChandlers, but lots of other boaty places sell them. Sometimes called a BW key, BWB key, sani key etc. Used for anything CaRT want to be boater use only, like sani stations and water points, but other things too. You won't get far without one!

No idea if you'll need a handcuff key if you are in that London and environs. I've never boated there. They are used in areas where the local kids have fun winding up paddles and emptying pounds. Watermate keys are sometimes used instead. Depends on the area and what the local waterways engineers fitted.

35 minutes ago, Porcupine said:

Also - if you can think of anything a newbie would really benefit from knowing/having before he hits the cut, I’d really appreciate it 

Just go with the flow. You'll soon find out what you need! Not very helpful I know, but most problems you encounter can be solved pretty easily.

36 minutes ago, Porcupine said:

We’re picking up our boat on April 1st. Yes, not the best date perhaps but hey.... 

I don't know, a pretty good date to start the boating life!

Jen

• Greenie 1

Oh yes, if you do decide you need handcuff keys, get them from boaty suppliers, rather than ebay. Some via ebay have been known to have too wide a shank to fit in some installations CaRT and their predecessor have put in. Getting it from Midland Swindlers, or the like will be slightly more expensive, but will work.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Oh yes, if you do decide you need handcuff keys, get them from boaty suppliers, rather than ebay. Some via ebay have been known to have too wide a shank to fit in some installations CaRT and their predecessor have put in. Getting it from Midland Swindlers, or the like will be slightly more expensive, but will work.

Same is true for the Watermate (Yale type) keys.

Some from Ebay don't work in all locks. Better to spend and extra £1 or sofrom a reputable supplier and get one that works everywhere.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Same is true for the Watermate (Yale type) keys.

Some from Ebay don't work in all locks. Better to spend and extra £1 or sofrom a reputable supplier and get one that works everywhere.

Fully agree from personal experience.

In fact I always say buy them directly from CRT - they are the correct keys not copies so they always work, and it's a few more pennies in the coffers for them.

https://shop.canalrivertrust.org.uk/shop

or from your local office when they are open again.

3 hours ago, Porcupine said:

Thanks, Jen. 

A good knowledge of battery charging/care.

• Greenie 1

We have some brass ones. If you don't buy Hozelock brand you can get these cheaper than plastic ones:

Outside Tap Connector Brass 3/4” & 1/2” Brass Adaptor Threaded Reducer Hose Pipe | eBay

You can go even cheaper if you get ones without the convertor on - I've never needed it so this might be all you need??

BRASS OUTSIDE TAP GARDEN HOSE CONNECTOR ADAPTOR 3/4" BSP Fits 1/2" Outside WATER 5038673701653 | eBay

I have an expanding hose which comes with a push on at one end and a brass screw fitting at the outher, I much prefer the brass screw fitting.

Hose was under £20 and takes up less space than a hose on a reel.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I have an expanding hose which comes with a push on at one end and a brass screw fitting at the outher, I much prefer the brass screw fitting.

I bought 50ft, 75 would be longer!

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I bought 50ft, 75 would be longer!

The 100 foot would be even longer.

I have the 100' 'Magic Hose' (£9 purchased online from Iceland)

Does the job well enough but it is important to flush thru before filling the tank, it is not food grade piping and any water left in it comes out with a pinky/red tint.

I always blow it thru but it is still a good idea to run it for a few minutes before putting it into your tank.

The 'tank end' is much better of you make / buy a 12" probe to stick in your tank - saves it jumping out.

It also gives you an on/off tap to save squirting water all over the boat.

20200724-153249.jpg

20200724-153216.jpg

100ft Magic Hose.jpg

• Greenie 1