Waste water and pump-out loos

ronnietucker

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

My dad is thinking of getting a narrowboat to live aboard and we were just wondering:

1. Where does waste water from a shower or washing machine go?
  2. How does a pump-out loo work?

Thanks!

Q. Waste water from a shower, washing machine or sink (grey water) is currently allowed to go directly into the canal or river in this country. Not so on European waterways.

2. Pump out toilets have their erm output (black water) sent to a holding tank, either directly (dump through) or via a macerator to a remote tank. When approaching full the contents are pumped out, either by a boatyard's pump or by one on the boat.

• Greenie 1

Shower, galley, and bathroom sink water goes into the canal. I use ecover washing up liquid, it's friendlier apparently. Any water with bleach and other harsh chemicals in it gets turfed out on the towpath.

The water from the washing machine goes in the canal too, tho' I use non-bio detergent. 

Think on some rivers it's different.

• Greenie 1

Thanks folks. I knew things like sinks went into the canal, but I wasn't sure about stuff from showers and washing machines. But now I know.

Regarding pump-out loos: is there just one type of pump-out? Don't want to get the wrong type of pump-out.  :D

Just now, ronnietucker said:

Thanks folks. I knew things like sinks went into the canal, but I wasn't sure about stuff from showers and washing machines. But now I know.

Regarding pump-out loos: is there just one type of pump-out? Don't want to get the wrong type of pump-out.  :D

No more than one type:

dump though - simple but can be smelly. Everything d ops through a "flap" into a tank.

Macerator or vacuum - needs electricity and regular maintenance, especially macerators.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

No more than one type:

dump though - simple but can be smelly. Everything d ops through a "flap" into a tank.

Macerator or vacuum - needs electricity and regular maintenance, especially macerators.

But is it the same when it comes to getting the tank emptied?

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

No more than one type:

And another type, a proper manual sea toilet, like a Blakes Baby, pumping into the black honey tank.

Just now, ronnietucker said:

But is it the same when it comes to getting the tank emptied?

Same tank fitting certainly in the UK, 1 1/2" hose spigot on the pump out gear into the standard PO fitting on the boat.

5 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Do you mean pump out fitting to empty the tank or the type of pump out toilet?

If you mean pump out fitting, then I have only come across one type in the 29 yesrs I have had boats with pump out toilets.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

And another type, a proper manual sea toilet, like a Blakes Baby, pumping into the black honey tank.

Same tank fitting certainly in the UK, 1 1/2" hose spigot on the pump out gear into the standard PO fitting on the boat.

Good. Don't want to end up with one that has a weird fitting that's not compatible. I'd end up stuck with a lot of crap. Literally:D

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Do you mean pump out fitting to empty the tank or the type of pump out toilet?

If you mean pump out fitting, then I have only come across one type in the 29 yesrs I have had boats with pump out toilets.

Yes, I meant fitting.

1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

Good. Don't want to end up with one that has a weird fitting that's not compatible. I'd end up stuck with a lot of crap. Literally:D

Yes, I meant fitting.

The fitting - well the bore of the fitting is "standard" - certainly wherever i've been (Thames, Nene, CRT waters). The advantage of a pumpout is that it's not an unpleasant procedure.

Similarly the dump through type needn't be unpleasant - provided you keep it sweet by using a bio agent such as OxyGen (available from Tescos) or a hospital quality washing machine liquid (expensive).

IMO the pumpout fitting should be on the roof and NOT on the gunnel - especially if you 'work' the dis decks.

19 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

IMO the pumpout fitting should be on the roof and NOT on the gunnel - especially if you 'work' the dis decks.

But some pump out struggle to lift the effluent that far and it means that there is a length of pipe inside which can add to the smell when it goes microporous.

The next boat I would have built if I had been able would of had a PO fitting on both sides, an access into the tank and a spray bar inside for washout fed from the water supply with a break valve.

I have a tank on this boat which I bought, there is only a tank and a fairly small diameter hose in the loo area, I've never looked in to the circumstances, there is no throne, unless it is underneath the bed. There is a light which is not red. Should I leave it to (hopefully) dry out, or add a few litres of blue every two years?

The hose in the loo area might have been the water feed for the loo and the valve to it will have been shut off.  I presume the "inlet" opening on your tank has been sealed off in some way and if that is the case, how would you put loo blue into the tank? 

haggis

18 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Yes, I meant fitting.

Standard pump out fitting looks like this,     https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/pump-out-socket-brass-ad-001-m

19 hours ago, cuthound said:

I, and very likely other Piper boat owners amongst others, have a nylon/plastic adaptor to screw into my nylon/plastic deck fitting. Without it, the "standard" pump out connection doesn't seal well, although I managed for a few years without one. Some pump out stations have them, whilst others look at you with blank amazement if you mention it. Iirc, it's called a Vetus adaptor, but don't quote me. Anyway, there appears to be more than one "standard" available as the exception to prove your rule DC

1 hour ago, haggis said:

The hose in the loo area might have been the water feed for the loo and the valve to it will have been shut off.  I presume the "inlet" opening on your tank has been sealed off in some way and if that is the case, how would you put loo blue into the tank? 

haggis

In the outlet of course!