Macclesfield Canal & Peak Forest water levels

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Midnight said:

No last time I looked it was closed from Ferrybridge although I think they may have meant Whitley Bridge as there's no obstacles in between Ferrybridge and the Lock at Whitley. 

Why would boaters in the Goole area be so concerned about the T&M in the Northwich area?

'cos I replied to The Biscuits post re A&C and New Junction!

Opening the first gate of the first lock up Bosley Locks last year I ended up flat on my backside - some bright spark had spread loose slate chippings around the lock beam. 

16 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Anyone know what the Shroppie situation is? Last I heard there was the breach by Chas Hardin and another I think at Hack Green?

Bridge 80 near Overwater - breach, nothing at Hack Green yet and no update on Chas Harden but definitely a breachIMG_4325.JPG.3f83ead49ca63bd61c79569295991a2b.JPG

10 minutes ago, Beo said:

Opening the first gate of the first lock up Bosley Locks last year I ended up flat on my backside - some bright spark had spread loose slate chippings around the lock beam. 

If aspersions were going to be cast on the attendants of any set of locks, my experience suggests it might well be those. I won't do that, because there are a lot of really good folk, both staff and volunteers, at lock flights and they oft get tarred with the same brush. Still, Bosely eh? :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Bridge 80 near Overwater - breach, nothing at Hack Green yet and no update on Chas Harden but definitely a breachIMG_4325.JPG.3f83ead49ca63bd61c79569295991a2b.JPG

Once had to clear a blocked  toilet inspection chamber at home.

It looked just like this photo!

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

If aspersions were going to be cast on the attendants of any set of locks, my experience suggests it might well be those. I won't do that, because there are a lot of really good folk, both staff and volunteers, at lock flights and they oft get tarred with the same brush. Still, Bosely eh? :rolleyes:

I've been singlehanding on the Macc nearly twenty years now, and the vollies have always been odd.  I think twice they've actually been helpful.  Once they watched me struggle up on my own in a howling gale and then lectured me on the proper way to do it when I got to the top, while happily clutching a nice cup of coffee. Surprisingly, I retained my cool...  Usually they just stroll past you, chatting to each other. Although the best I ever got was one at Middlewich, who said he'd really like to help but a buckle had come off his lifejacket, so he wasn't allowed to.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've been singlehanding on the Macc nearly twenty years now, and the vollies have always been odd.  I think twice they've actually been helpful.  Once they watched me struggle up on my own in a howling gale and then lectured me on the proper way to do it when I got to the top, while happily clutching a nice cup of coffee. Surprisingly, I retained my cool...  Usually they just stroll past you, chatting to each other. Although the best I ever got was one at Middlewich, who said he'd really like to help but a buckle had come off his lifejacket, so he wasn't allowed to.

The one at the top went on at Diana for drawing the bottom paddles as we were coming up, the last boat to pass was going down, she couldn't grasp that the lock had gained a foot of water since that boat going down had closed the bottom gates.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The one at the top went on at Diana for drawing the bottom paddles as we were coming up, the last boat to pass was going down, she couldn't grasp that the lock had gained a foot of water since that boat going down had closed the bottom gates.

"Oh, I'm glad you've come to help - if you could you just open the bottom gates, we'll slide right in..." :icecream:

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I can assure you that the boaters in the Goole area have made very certain that CaRT staff are fully aware of the implications - although I get the impression that they did not need telling. Sadly ABP don't seem to be helping. I am sure that Oleanna will be along soon to update us . . . 

As far as I know the A&C is closed at Pollington Lock so you can't get to the New Junction from the west. We're moored Goole (but living in our house for the time being) and ABP won't let any leisure boats through their locks out onto the Ouse in order to conserve water in the docks. CRT are pumping water round the dams at the breach site, I believe CRT are contractually obliged to supply enough water (don't know how much) to ABP to keep the docks operating. I think they have some big pumps!

15 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

As far as I know the A&C is closed at Pollington Lock so you can't get to the New Junction from the west. We're moored Goole (but living in our house for the time being) and ABP won't let any leisure boats through their locks out onto the Ouse in order to conserve water in the docks. CRT are pumping water round the dams at the breach site, I believe CRT are contractually obliged to supply enough water (don't know how much) to ABP to keep the docks operating. I think they have some big pumps!

The stoppage notice actually says it now kicks in as far west as Ferrybridge. I wonder how our former fellow moorers at Pollington are fairing.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18926-ferrybridge-lock-and-goole-caisson

23 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Anyone know what the Shroppie situation is? Last I heard there was the breach by Chas Hardin and another I think at Hack Green?

I believe the breach near Chas Hardern will not be completed until summer. The other stoppage is not Hack Green but Bridge 80 near Audlem, this is expected to be completed by Easter.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The stoppage notice actually says it now kicks in as far west as Ferrybridge. I wonder how our former fellow moorers at Pollington are fairing.

So you cant get to the New Junction from the east either, nor presumably get off the New Junction .

Super!

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

On normal water levels they would need to close it from Bulholme Lock as there is nothing to stop boats between Bulholme and Whitley Locks. When Bank Dole is fixed boaters will have the option of going to Selby and up to York or down onto the Trent (for the brave). Another example of CaRT not knowing very much about the waterways under their control.

3 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

So you cant get to the New Junction from the east either, nor presumably get off the New Junction .

Super!

Based on the stoppage notice that's about the long and short of it.

18 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Super!

No, the breach site is east of the New Junction. So if you are in Goole, like we are, you are stuck.

Edited by Alway Swilby