Macclesfield Canal & Peak Forest water levels

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Looks like restrictions coming:

"It is impossible to know at this stage what the weather will throw at us this summer but with careful management of water resources and some limited restrictions on lock use, we hope to keep the Peak Forest & Macclesfield canals operational and looking fantastic throughout the year.

We want to take some steps to try and conserve as much water as possible by introducing some measure to help us.  We would like to invite boaters and customers to a meeting with our water hydrologists and boating and customer service manager.

The meeting will be held via zoom on the 24th March 2021, 7pm to 8.30pm.   If you would like to attend, please click on the following link to book your place

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/peak-forest-macclesfield-canal-water-resources-tickets-145295644183

As someone who is moored on the upper Macc I would like to report on the current state of water levels, etc. - but I can't. I haven't seen my boat or the canal for months. 

The depressing Covid situation and over optimistic Conservative escape from lock-down predictions give me little faith that I'll get out on the boat this year but I retain some hope, To hear that C&RT are already worried about what the weather will throw at them and are contemplating restrictions is dispiriting to say the least.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

They will be until people start moving again. A few dozen through Marple and Bosley and they won't be.

And with the T&M shut near Anderton until summer there's likely to be more than a few dozen trying to go that way.

If Figure of Three on the C&H doesn't open soon the only routes south from the North West will be over the L&L to Leeds (while their water lasts) then the A&C and up the Trent or pay to transit the Manchester Ship Canal.

Or indeed north-west from south of Anderton in the other direction.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

They will be until people start moving again. A few dozen through Marple and Bosley and they won't be.

True.

The bad gate leaks on the Bosley flight have not been attended too either.  Too many unbalanced drifting top gates  on this flight too.

The volunteers have been busy, burying the lock mooring bollards for some daft reason, perhaps they thought they were mushrooms and might grow. 

Tow path is a mess, the bits they have "resurfaced" with slate chippings are horrible.

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

True.

The bad gate leaks on the Bosley flight have not been attended too either.  Too many unbalanced drifting top gates  on this flight too.

The volunteers have been busy, burying the lock mooring bollards for some daft reason, perhaps they thought they were mushrooms and might grow. 

Tow path is a mess, the bits they have "resurfaced" with slate chippings are horrible.

What have they done to the lock bollards? I think there was one lock without any, unless I'm thinking of somewhere else.

I bought a mushroom kit to grow my own. It said I'd get a good crop, then another. I got five mushrooms. Don't think it'll work on bollards, either.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What have they done to the lock bollards? I think there was one lock without any, unless I'm thinking of somewhere else.

I bought a mushroom kit to grow my own. It said I'd get a good crop, then another. I got five mushrooms. Don't think it'll work on bollards, either.

They have "manicured" the bank, adding soil until the bollards are now buried too deep to use!

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

And with the T&M shut near Anderton until summer there's likely to be more than a few dozen trying to go that way.

If Figure of Three on the C&H doesn't open soon the only routes south from the North West will be over the L&L to Leeds (while their water lasts) then the A&C and up the Trent or pay to transit the Manchester Ship Canal.

Or indeed north-west from south of Anderton in the other direction.

That's a very good point especially if the Aire & Calder repair drags on. CaRT should make the landslip at Barnton a priority but that's probably too much to ask for from this load of lightweights who won't have realised the implications of the stoppages in Yorkshire or won't care.

14 minutes ago, Midnight said:

That's a very good point especially if the Aire & Calder repair drags on. CaRT should make the landslip at Barnton a priority but that's probably too much to ask for from this load of lightweights who won't have realised the implications of the stoppages in Yorkshire or won't care.

We're unsure about the NW for this reason. Probably going to use the two weeks grace when only liveaboards can move to go down the Avon and the Severn to the Gloucester and Sharpness and sit out the madness there. Even if the entire contents of Saul marina come out on day one, that's not that many boats and there are no locks and plenty of moorings to go around down there. We'll come back via Worcester once the madness has subsided. All this depends on it not raining too much in the next month, of course.

58 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Just had an email on that one, next look April

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Just had an email on that one, next look April

I suspect that there will be a lot of stoppages lifted on the 11th or 12th April, after a lot of excuses and fake overruns over Easter simply to stop everyone ignoring the covid restrictions.

35 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I suspect that there will be a lot of stoppages lifted on the 11th or 12th April, after a lot of excuses and fake overruns over Easter simply to stop everyone ignoring the covid restrictions.

I suspect that you have got your April Fool joke in early.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I hadn't thought of that one!  Can you get onto the New Junction currently from the A&C or is that in the closure?

I can assure you that the boaters in the Goole area have made very certain that CaRT staff are fully aware of the implications - although I get the impression that they did not need telling. Sadly ABP don't seem to be helping. I am sure that Oleanna will be along soon to update us . . . 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I hadn't thought of that one!  Can you get onto the New Junction currently from the A&C or is that in the closure?

No last time I looked it was closed from Ferrybridge although I think they may have meant Whitley Bridge as there's no obstacles in between Ferrybridge and the Lock at Whitley. 

39 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I can assure you that the boaters in the Goole area have made very certain that CaRT staff are fully aware of the implications - although I get the impression that they did not need telling. Sadly ABP don't seem to be helping. I am sure that Oleanna will be along soon to update us . . . 

Why would boaters in the Goole area be so concerned about the T&M in the Northwich area?