Leeds Liverpool water levels

Ianws

Featured Posts

I had an email form CRT about a virtual meeting to discuss maintaining  water resources on the Leeds and Liverpool with an aim to make sure there is enough water to last the summer boating season after issues over recent years. That's positive.

I'm taking this out of context but this phrase in the email made me laugh

"We have been working hard and thinking smart to come up with alternatives to keep water in the canal and boats afloat."

Missing an important  comma? Or perhaps my head read keeping rather than keep. 

Edited by Ianws
Typo

CRT narrowboat 4X4 bogies, ....adapted to all cut profiles with large surface area tyres to allow progress over those obstructions you couldn't see in the past when we allowed water into the canal systems occasionally.

Open your new account with CRTBogie.com for unhindered access to the Northern desert of the UK.....only £499 a month. (CRT licence needed for account access)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If the boating season is only in the summer, then shirley our boat licenses should be reduced by 75%.

Be careful what you wish for.

The licence fee is simply to cover the 'boating season' (Summer), if you want to actually use the waterways in the other 3 seasons then the cost will go up proportionally.

• Greenie 1

North West Water Resources Update

We want to take some steps to try and conserve as much water as possible by introducing some measures to help us. Therefore, we’d like to invite boaters and other waterway users to a meeting with our water hydrologists and North West boating customer manager to discuss our plans. The meetings will be held on Thursday 25 March for the Leeds & Liverpool Canal and Wednesday 24 March for the Peak Forest and Macclesfield canals (both between 7pm-8.30pm). To book a place please visit the links above.

If anyone joins for the L&L group, can you please tell CRT that timed restrictions and enforcing the sharing of locks on Greenberfield and Barrowford locks will help summit water levels much more than doing it at Wigan and Bingley, both of which are an extra two flights of locks below the summit pound!

Last time I did it I did it wrong. Rather than go in together, I went first and my boat was then treated as something convenient to bring his boat to a stop, at a fair speed. In retrospect I was far too nice. I wouldn't have minded if he was inexperienced, he just didnt care less about his boat or mine,  which took the brunt of it. He was a single handler heading over from Liverpool to Yorkshire. 

My money is on  a pilot smart agenda, with this year's winter stoppages held over to Easter. Boats will be booked in for each and every locking, miss your locking, you go to the back of the virtual queue.

Winter stoppages program brought forward by six weeks, in order to minimise water wastage by boats, particularly widebeams with composting toilets as they are well known to block elsans every time they take on water. In the interest of economy boaters are advised to share a shower in the months of June, July, and August, this is bound to encourage wellness with water.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, rasputin said:

I am happy to share a lock with other light  plastic boats, or tucked in behind a metal 40foot boat, I will not share a lock with another single long canal boat again

If a grp boat has to share a lock with a metal one,the grp one needs to be last in,first out if going downhill.

Going uphill,the grp boat is best not sharing with a metal boat as the turbulence when filling the lock can cause banging together and of course the grp boat will come off worse.

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My money is on  a pilot smart agenda, with this year's winter stoppages held over to Easter. Boats will be booked in for each and every locking, miss your locking, you go to the back of the virtual queue.

Winter stoppages program brought forward by six weeks, in order to minimise water wastage by boats, particularly widebeams with composting toilets as they are well known to block elsans every time they take on water. In the interest of economy boaters are advised to share a shower in the months of June, July, and August, this is bound to encourage wellness with water.

This is a classic post, worthy of a pre-edit save.

On 12/03/2021 at 22:49, Mad Harold said:

If a grp boat has to share a lock with a metal one,the grp one needs to be last in,first out if going downhill.

Going uphill,the grp boat is best not sharing with a metal boat as the turbulence when filling the lock can cause banging together and of course the grp boat will come off worse.

Its not the going in or out that is the problem, The problem is being used as a fender going up or down

12 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Its not the going in or out that is the problem, The problem is being used as a fender going up or down

I take your point.

To be absolutely safe it's maybe better to wait untill you have the lock to yourself.

But sometimes there is little choice.One occasion going down on the HNC there wasn't enough water in the pound to fill the lock for a second time,so I either had to share or wait several hours for the CRT man to go up a couple of locks to run some water down.He was quite prepared to do that but I wanted to press on.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I take your point.

To be absolutely safe it's maybe better to wait untill you have the lock to yourself.

But sometimes there is little choice.One occasion going down on the HNC there wasn't enough water in the pound to fill the lock for a second time,so I either had to share or wait several hours for the CRT man to go up a couple of locks to run some water down.He was quite prepared to do that but I wanted to press on.

In a narrow lock, 'being used as a fender' shouldn't really be a problem. Steel boat goes in first and keeps to the far end of the lock, GRP behind. But does require the steel boat to be kept under control.