Splitting logs.

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

An axe cuts things a maul splits things

Thanks. This is most educational (and no, I'm not taking the p.)

So, a splitting axe is the same as a maul, and a felling axe is primarily for cutting trees down?

I noticed, in the company's description of their tools, that they referred to their single-handed ones as axes. I've always called a single-handed one a hatchet. Are both terms correct?

A felling axe is a heavy knife and should be wicked sharp, a splitting maul "splits" stuff and isn't supposed to be particularly sharp just have an edge.

A felling axe is/or can be used against the grain, imagine cutting the felling wedge in a standing tree, that requires cutting not splitting, as it happens you can use a felling axe to split firewood and the action will be a splitting action as well as a cutting action.

Using a splitting maul against the grain is an exercise in futility 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I noticed, in the company's description of their tools, that they referred to their single-handed ones as axes. I've always called a single-handed one a hatchet. Are both terms correct?

As far as I know the terms are interchangeable 

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

A paving maul doesn't (well, OK, it does tend to when I use one).

Or even a fencing maul

• Greenie 1

So, at the moment I'm feeding our stove at home with wood cut with a tool which looks more like then left-hand one. The logs I'm cutting/chopping/splitting are "cheesed" pieces of tree trunk about 12" round by 10" tall. I do manage to reduce each one to several pieces eventually, but much grunting is involved.

Would a splitting axe/maul make the task easier? if so, how much should I expect to pay out for something which isn't likely to fall to bits the first time I use it? Should I aim for the Fiskar brand or are those more suited to the professional?

Just now, Athy said:

So, at the moment I'm feeding our stove at home with wood cut with a tool which looks more like then left-hand one. The logs I'm cutting/chopping/splitting are "cheesed" pieces of tree trunk about 12" round by 10" tall. I do manage to reduce each one to several pieces eventually, but much grunting is involved.

Would a splitting axe/maul make the task easier? if so, how much should I expect to pay out for something which isn't likely to fall to bits the first time I use it? Should I aim for the Fiskar brand or are those more suited to the professional?

My splitting axe was from Aldi for about £12 and I've never used the traditional maul since I got it 5 or more years ago ...

I once had a bet with a chap with an electric log splitter to have a race on equal sized piles of pre-cheesed logs.  I ended up doing more than half his pile after finishing mine so we could go to the pub - at his expense as he'd lost!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

The Fiskars one I've left heavy hints with Mrs HN for is just under 40 quid.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Fiskars-Fsk1051086-6411501702043-Solid-A11-Splitting-Axe-1.09Kg-2.4Lb

The Fiskar range treemonkey linked to are slightly more. I dont think 40 quid is too out the way if you are going to use one often.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

If how you're working works for you keep doing it, a splitting maul may make it easier but it depends on how much you do whether you think it's worth buying a new tool.

As to choice, the fiskars is just a good quality tool and is currently considered the dogs, it certainly gets the peeps on the Arb forums all excited,  but it's not professional in the sense that if your job is splitting firewood you wouldn't be swinging any sort of axe or maul, at least not for long, there are firewood processing machines for that.

Buy a cheap one or borrow one to see how you get on, if I was in the market I would by a fiskars but it's not necessary, the cheap ones will work just not last as long or be as well balanced 

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

semantics m'lud. 

Tell you what I will lend you my maul to chop a tree down 

:)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Tell you what I will lend you my maul to chop a tree down 

but i'm not the one who can't tell his axe from his elbow :) 

it's Mr Athy who's being all pedantic about chop and split

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

but i'm not the one who can't tell his axe from his elbow :) 

it's Mr Athy who's being all pedantic about chop and split

Ahhh I misread the intent of your post, so I will lend Athy my maul to fell a tree then, see if he can see the difference 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Ahhh I misread the intent of your post, so I will lend Athy my maul to fell a tree then, see if he can see the difference 

he can borrow my wood grenade too and get re-acquainted with his ankles with all the rubbing they'll get :D 

• Greenie 1

Not sure if mine is a maul it's more like a 14 lb sledge hammer with a sharp end and very effective. For really big stuff I have a sledge hammer a couple of wood grenades and a few splitting wedges. 

If you get something proper with a wooden shaft you can replace the shaft when the inevitable happens....

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Have a look at this - it works, and I was only using a hand axe and a lump hammer initially - use an axe as The Biscuit says, and you will fly through logs

8 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

My maul is an Aldi special buy. It goes through logs really well but I've accidentally smashed thee pavers with it so far.

Sounds like a recommendation.

Fortunately I have a large (about two feet tall by two feet across) wooden chopping block.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments and advice.

14 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I would have thought 'hatchet' was a US usage, but it probably has its origins in one English region or another. When I was young, it was a 'hand axe' as opposed to an axe (aka 'felling axe').

It may be used in America also. My Dad always called his a hatchet.

Edited by Athy

10 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Have a look at this - it works, and I was only using a hand axe and a lump hammer initially - use an axe as The Biscuit says, and you will fly through logs

these lads aren’t daft are they, you never see them trying to split a misshapen knotty log like you’re left with in the real world :) 

• Greenie 2