Gas locker / power

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I don't see why not, but to avoid any potential issues with a BSS bod who likes making rules up I'd run it higher than the top of the gas bottle and in plastic conduit.

I was going to suggest that to avoid compromising the cabinet.

Up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves, or other high‐pressure components where these are higher, the bottom,sides, and seams of every cylinder lockermust be free of any:

• holes, e.g. caused by drilling, rust or cutting; or ,

• cracks, splits or de‐laminations; or,

• missing or damaged welds at seams; or,

• other signs of damage or deterioration…

Electrical cables must be installed clear of LPG and fuel supply lines unless they are in a conduit made of non‐conducting material.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was going to suggest that to avoid compromising the cabinet.

Up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves, or other high‐pressure components where these are higher, the bottom,sides, and seams of every cylinder lockermust be free of any:

Electrical cables must be installed clear of LPG and fuel supply lines unless they are in a conduit made of non‐conducting material.

No gas locker with a drain hole at the base can comply with this requirement.

N

I know what is meant, but that is not what  has been asked for.  It  clearly demonstrates the BSS office's  lack of competence at requirements drafting.  Even with the e.g

removed it requires that there be no holes below the top of the cylinder valves etc.

N

On 11/03/2021 at 17:03, BEngo said:

No gas locker with a drain hole at the base can comply with this requirement.

Alan has only quoted part of it, not the whole thing.  The actual requirement makes more sense.

7.2.1 Is the cylinder locker, up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves or other high‐ 
pressure components, free of any path for leaked LPG to enter the interior of the vessel?
R

Determine the level of the top of the cylinder valves, or other high‐pressure components where these
are located higher.
Check the height of the LPG cylinder locker sides.
Determine which parts of the locker structure if holed or damaged could create a path for LPG leaked
to enter the interior of the vessel.
Visually check the locker construction material and the condition of all cylinder locker bottoms,sides and
seams.

The sides of every cylinder locker must extend at least up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves, or
other high‐pressure components where these are higher.
Up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves, or other high‐pressure components where these are
higher, the bottom,sides, and seams of every cylinder locker must be free of any:

…. that can be determined by visual examination to penetrate the locker to the interior of the vessel.

Cylinder locker bottoms,sides and seams covered by this check must not rely upon glue or sealant to
prevent any leaked LPG from entering the interior of the vessel.

22 minutes ago, BEngo said:

I know what is meant, but that is not what  has been asked for.  It  clearly demonstrates the BSS office's  lack of competence at requirements drafting.  Even with the e.g

removed it requires that there be no holes below the top of the cylinder valves etc.

See above.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

hole thing.  The actual requirement makes more sense.

7.2.1 Is the cylinder locker, up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves or other high‐ 
pressure components, free of any path for leaked LPG to enter the interior of the vessel?

Indeed - my gas locker has a big hole in one side, running from the top to the very bottom of the locker. Its acceptable under the BSS as it doesn't penetrate the inside of the vessel. The thoughtful boat builder put doors on it to match the side doors on the starboard side: I thank him every time I change a bottle!

• Greenie 1