Beer and General Boating.

matty40s

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ah right......

Here you go Martin, saves you having to scroll up.

"Before blaming 90% of the population for not sticking to the rules, you could ask how many people have died of C19 due to the  international passenger flights which have continued throughout the 3 lock downs? "

7 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

Here you go Martin, saves you having to scroll up.

"Before blaming 90% of the population for not sticking to the rules, you could ask how many people have died of C19 due to the  international passenger flights which have continued throughout the 3 lock downs? "

I responded to that 19 hours ago. (Bearing in mind that you didn’t initially ask me the question but rather Dora)

Edited by The Happy Nomad

56 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I responded to that 19 hours ago. (Bearing in mind that you didn’t initially ask me the question but rather Dora)

Yes, I did read that but I'm not quite sure why you quoted my post. Perhaps you should have quoted Dora's post.

BTW, your neighbours must love you. ?

10 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Yes, I did read that but I'm not quite sure why you quoted my post. Perhaps you should have quoted Dora's post.

BTW, your neighbours must love you. ?

Rambling by name, rambling by nature.

On 11/03/2021 at 12:23, Sea Dog said:

This is something I'm wondering about. Do I really want to share the M5 with thousands of over-excited grandparents who haven't driven a car for months on their first day of freedom to travel?

This was really noticeable over the last week, the school run is back and roads are almost back to pre covid numbers outside the school insanity, from a purely selfish point of view it's almost been delightful driving over the last 12 months 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This was really noticeable over the last week, the school run is back and roads are almost back to pre covid numbers outside the school insanity, from a purely selfish point of view it's almost been delightful driving over the last 12 months 

I have long jested that our roads would be able to cope with the traffic they need to carry if all kids were educated in India...

• Greenie 1

Yebbut... someone decided that kids could attend any school anywhere in the country. Cue millions of parental journeys to take little Rupert to the school the other side of town with the marginally better Ofsted score.

ETA cheaper than improving the standards at all schools which is what the aim should have been.

Edited by George and Dragon
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Yebbut... someone decided that kids could attend any school anywhere in the country. Cue millions of parental journeys to take little Rupert to the school the other side of town with the marginally better Ofsted score.

ETA cheaper than improving the standards at all schools which is what the aim should have been.

That is certainly not universal across the country. My daughter had to move house to get into the catchment area of a better school. I believe that is very much the norm.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Certainly radical round here the local secondary school has a catchment area about 30 miles across.     :)

Yeah, I do realise it's not always possible, the nephews had a 15mile trip, which is a touch outside a daily walking commute  :)

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That is certainly not universal across the country. My daughter had to move house to get into the catchment area of a better school. I believe that is very much the norm.

This one always gets me though. A school is like a pub, its just a building. If a landlord changes and we have all seen it, a great pub with standing room only ( remember those days :( ) can go through the floor. Surely schools are only as good as the bod in charge and the teachers? If you move to a good school and the good teachers and head for instance move or retire and it goes down do you chase the next better school? My bro in law went to an absolutely abysmal school in Castleford for some years but achieved a first at cambridge so much is to do with the child? What say you Jerra as its your field?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

This one always gets me though. A school is like a pub, its just a building. If a landlord changes and we have all seen it, a great pub with standing room only ( remember those days :( ) can go through the floor. Surely schools are only as good as the bod in charge and the teachers? If you move to a good school and the good teachers and head for instance move or retire and it goes down do you chase the next better school? My bro in law went to an absolutely abysmal school in Castleford for some years but achieved a first at Cambridge so much is to do with the child? What say you Jerra as its your field?

Perhaps, to an extent, mine too.

I have witnessed a school (a prep school in Sussex)  go from a flourishing, well run and happy establishment to closure within five years because of an unsuitable new headmaster who swiftly antagonised staff, pupils and - most importantly at a fee-paying school - the parents. I had taught there for some years, but saw what was coming and got out in time.

The building was imposing and well-equipped, and the grounds were superb: it was the man at the top who caused the school's downfall.

20 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Certainly radical round here the local secondary school has a catchment area about 30 miles across.     :)

To add to this...

The issue isn't helped by the local authorities either, my junior school was a 10 minute walk and secondary was 15/20 minute away, the large secondary has since closed and the site used for housing and small industrial units, leaving a massive area without a local school and we are talking a large urban area not a rural village.

I'm not actually sure where the nearest secondary school is now

26 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This one always gets me though. A school is like a pub, its just a building. If a landlord changes and we have all seen it, a great pub with standing room only ( remember those days :( ) can go through the floor. Surely schools are only as good as the bod in charge and the teachers? If you move to a good school and the good teachers and head for instance move or retire and it goes down do you chase the next better school? My bro in law went to an absolutely abysmal school in Castleford for some years but achieved a first at cambridge so much is to do with the child? What say you Jerra as its your field?

In my daughter's case it initially didnt work. The school had a great Ofsted rating when she moved but it hadnt been inspected for a while, I think they dont follow up schools rated well as frequently. Then when it finally was re-inspected it was a pretty poor report. The head was 'moved on' some where else and an interim head appointed and it was taken out of LA control. She was a right tough cookie, took no sh1t and started the turn around. It now has a new permanent head.

23 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

To add to this...

The issue isn't helped by the local authorities either, my junior school was a 10 minute walk and secondary was 15/20 minute away, the large secondary has since closed and the site used for housing and small industrial units, leaving a massive area without a local school and we are talking a large urban area not a rural village.

In our semi rural area three seconary schools in three seperate towns all closed and were quickly  demolished. Two sites are also now housing and the site in the middle town became the site for a completely new re developed building amalgamating all three.

Its impossible for the vast majority of kids to contemplate walking to the new school.

37 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

To add to this...

What tends to happen here is the parents say" I start work at 9:00 in town I will drop you off then you aren't standing alone in the rain by the roadside".   Result lost of traffic at the school for half to three quarters of a hour.

There is no excuse in urban areas to not have a school within walking distance of all pupils.

15 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Depending on how you select people to be tested, you you probably get any one of those lines from the same population. The only useful part of it is the timeline trend one each line separately although, even that is marred by the changes frequently made to the testing regime for reason other than getting reliable data.

This is very true and the numbers are very iffy. My friend had a negative test last week and a second negative a few days later. See will continue having negative tests all the time she goes to see her dad so could be 2 a week. where as if someone turns up and has a positive they wont be tested again until they recover. Its still a flawed system. 

18 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

In my daughter's case it initially didnt work. The school had a great Ofsted rating when she moved but it hadnt been inspected for a while, I think they dont follow up schools rated well as frequently. Then when it finally was re-inspected it was a pretty poor report. The head was 'moved on' some where else and an interim head appointed and it was taken out of LA control. She was a right tough cookie, took no sh1t and started the turn around. It now has a new permanent head.

Correct for the fist highlighted phrase most unlikely for the second.   What more likely to happen was it decided to become an academy as it is generally perceived that academies improve standards.    Time has shown this to be incorrect school improve if they have good leadership.   Because the govt strongly supports the academy idea (privatisation by the back door) it would push the idea that becoming an academy would solve the problem.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Correct for the fist highlighted phrase most unlikely for the second.   What more likely to happen was it decided to become an academy as it is generally perceived that academies improve standards.    Time has shown this to be incorrect school improve if they have good leadership.   Because the govt strongly supports the academy idea (privatisation by the back door) it would push the idea that becoming an academy would solve the problem.

That was what I was meaning, it was taken out of LA control and became an academy. The justification being that it would improve the standard after the poor report.

Presumably its the governors who make the decision to take the school out of LA control.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

And also, initially, much better funded.

There was strange logic in the pro arguments for academies: it was claimed that they improved standards and therefore they should, eventually, be rolled out for everyone so that all children would have a better education. Fine, but the same people measured performance only in a relative way (complaining about dumbing down along the way - see what happens when a uni has a higher number of firsts) The could not understand that the eventual outcome would inevitably be that academies were no better - 'cos they would all become the same and have the same level of funding.