CHARLIE ATKINS

Stuart Allen

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Stuart Allen said:

Hello, 

I am a historian from Runcorn. 

I am putting together about the life and work of Charlie Atkins. If anyone reading this has any photographs or memories of Charlie to share with me then please email me at:

XXXXXXXX@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks, 

Stuart Allen.

Welcome aboard, I would suggest you remove your email address from a public forum, people on here can contact you without it

There is more to the history of crumb carriage than Charlie Atkins and there were more people associated with the trade included the Cadbury family who decided to use this form of transport in place of milk by train to Bourneville. The problem of milk going off on a goods train was considered a factor in the milk condensing process which led to canal transport from Knighton and Framilode. Then there is the innovative use of the Bolinder engine in their own craft and also the establishment of the Mary Vale Road depot. All this was going on when Charlie Atkins was still a child.     

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Stuart Allen said:

Hello, 

I am putting together about the life and work of Charlie Atkins. If anyone reading this has any photographs or memories of Charlie to share with me then please email me at:

Stugrams1@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks, 

Stuart Allen.

He is in the TV series "Flower of Gloster"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402614630571?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=402614630571&targetid=1139674279347&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045667&poi=&campaignid=12125451035&mkgroupid=118098821498&rlsatarget=pla-1139674279347&abcId=9300480&merchantid=113732517&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnKeCBhDPARIsAFDTLTINqY3PqhffQcX_XG0fyN_PNG828veFsJsBZouw4e_YFu5skFmxzp4aAkx5EALw_wcB

It's pleasing to see that Stuart is getting some useful information for his research.

"I am a historian from Runcorn" sounds like the first line of a limerick. I wonder if he's written the rest of it yet.:D

Edited by Athy

If I can't, I shall feel quite forlorn.

No offence meant, Stuart: this forum is a good place for garnering and exchanging information, but humour does break out from time to time.

Edited by Athy

37 minutes ago, Athy said:

If I can't, I shall feel quite forlorn.

No offence meant, Stuart: this forum is a good place for garnering and exchanging information, but humour does beak out from time to time.

Yes, it gives some people the bird! ?

On 10/03/2021 at 15:07, Ray T said:

That would be 1975, when I was moored at Preston Brook, and Tony Lewery had just recovered Mendip's cabin. Charlie lived on Gifford whilst the repair was going on, commenting that the range was really good, and you could 'get your chops bouncing in the pan'. In 1972, I worked with Charlie for Peter Froud on the trip boat Lapwing, based at Preston Brook and working from Weston Point, up the Weaver, and back to Runcorn. I learnt a good deal about boating at that time. Charlie told me that many of his family came from around Barbridge, with some on the bank who he lived with for a couple years so he could go to school. He became a captain around 1922, working for Midland & Coast on former SUC boats, sold off when they ceased carrying. At that time he was not the best of boaters, and was called in to the Midland & Coast office and shown the incidents page for his boat, which was full. He was then shown the page of an older boatman which was blank, and told that if his page was not like that in the future, he would be out of a job. It was at this time that he got his old nick-name of 'Ruggy', because his boating was so rough. By the time I got to know him, he was a first-class boatman, and I can recall him running Lapwing against the edge of the channel on the T&MC to stop the boat being rocked by our passengers.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Pluto said:

That would be 1975, when I was moored at Preston Brook, and Tony Lewery had just recovered Mendip's cabin. Charlie lived on Gifford whilst the repair was going on, commenting that the range was really good, and you could 'get your chops bouncing in the pan'. In 1972, I worked with Charlie for Peter Froud on the trip boat Lapwing, based at Preston Brook and working from Weston Point, up the Weaver, and back to Runcorn. I learnt a good deal about boating at that time. Charlie told me that many of his family came from around Barbridge, with some on the bank who he lived with for a couple years so he could go to school. He became a captain around 1922, working for Midland & Coast on former SUC boats, sold off when they ceased carrying. At that time he was not the best of boaters, and was called in to the Midland & Coast office and shown the incidents page for his boat, which was full. He was then shown the page of an older boatman which was blank, and told that if his page was not like that in the future, he would be out of a job. It was at this time that he got his old nick-name of 'Ruggy', because his boating was so rough. By the time I got to know him, he was a first-class boatman, and I can recall him running Lapwing against the edge of the channel on the T&MC to stop the boat being rocked by our passengers.

Many thanks.

Stu. 

On 10/03/2021 at 14:56, Stuart Allen said:

Hello, 

Stugrams1@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks, 

Stuart Allen.

You need to chase the Mace Archive to digitise this!!

ATV Today: 04.08.1965: Anderton Boat Lift | MACE Archive

• 4 months later...