What sound system do you have on boat?

Rambling Boater

Featured Posts

Anyway, back on topic:

A DDA AMR 24 mixer console and UREI 813 studio main monitors with Phase Linear amps. The UREI 813s were replaced around 1990 by ATC main monitors. Customised ATC SCM150ASL active speakers are used for the main left and right channels with a standard ATC SCM150ASL active speaker used as the centre channel. The centre channel sits above an ATC SCM0.1–15 subwoofer. The surround monitors are two ATC SCM50ASLs. A variety of near-field monitor speakers are used including Yamaha NS-10s and Auratones depending on who happens to be working at the studio.

The acoustic design was done with the assistance of Nick Whitaker, an independent acoustician, and much of the equipment was recommended by James Guthrie and Andrew Jackson. Nowadays the Astoria has a Neve 88R mixing console, as well as three Studer A827 multi-tracks and Ampex ATR-100 tape recorders, which were modified by Tim de Paravicini, Esoteric Audio Research's (EAR) founder. The conversion to a studio also required 14 miles (23 km) of cables, which were sourced from Van den Hul cables of Holland. There are various compressors from Pye and EAR 660 tube designs, as well as EAR 825s for EQ.

No, wait, that's not my boat, it's Dave Gilmour's!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astoria_(recording_studio)#Equipment

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Anyway, back on topic:

A DDA AMR 24 mixer console and UREI 813 studio main monitors with Phase Linear amps. The UREI 813s were replaced around 1990 by ATC main monitors. Customised ATC SCM150ASL active speakers are used for the main left and right channels with a standard ATC SCM150ASL active speaker used as the centre channel. The centre channel sits above an ATC SCM0.1–15 subwoofer. The surround monitors are two ATC SCM50ASLs. A variety of near-field monitor speakers are used including Yamaha NS-10s and Auratones depending on who happens to be working at the studio.

The acoustic design was done with the assistance of Nick Whitaker, an independent acoustician, and much of the equipment was recommended by James Guthrie and Andrew Jackson. Nowadays the Astoria has a Neve 88R mixing console, as well as three Studer A827 multi-tracks and Ampex ATR-100 tape recorders, which were modified by Tim de Paravicini, Esoteric Audio Research's (EAR) founder. The conversion to a studio also required 14 miles (23 km) of cables, which were sourced from Van den Hul cables of Holland. There are various compressors from Pye and EAR 660 tube designs, as well as EAR 825s for EQ.

ATC SCM150ASL monitors are astounding, the last studio we used had them and I've never heard anything like them before or since -- and they're cheaper than a speaker cable, only 16 grand a pair ?

Edited by IanD

On moving on to the boat in 1980 i handed over my mission acoustics speakers to my parents with instructions on how to look after them.

Last month we sold the house. Still on custom built stands in the living room but 10 feet above the ground ( yes strange tiered house) were my speakers. In spite of several tenancies they had never been removed.

I took them down put them into our current house, selected ‘wish you were here’ pressed play.

Anyone want some firewood and a set of heavy duty magnets?

• Haha 1

I recently discovered the existence of soundstage and imaging on stereo recordings and, having messed about with speaker positions, I now have a system on the boat where it is "almost" like the artists are in the room, but not quite.

This is using a Sony DSX-M80 head unit, fed by AAC Bluetooth from my Samsung S10 streaming Amazon HD and Ultra HD music. Kef Egg speakers attached to the wall, so just over 5ft from my ears, and just over 5ft apart. IIRC the speaker cable was around a couple of quid a metre, about 20 years ago.

Whilst amazing, and better than I have heard in half a century of listening to music, the soundstage is fairly flat and doesn't have much depth. From what I read, this is probably because the speakers are against the wall, whereas it seems that a better position is around 3ft from the walls, both behind them, and to the sides ..... not really achievable on a narrowboat.

As a matter of interest, has anybody managed to create a soundstage in such a narrow space, where some of the sound appears to be coming from behind the speakers, (middle of the canal :) ), and some from in front of them?

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Anyway, back on topic:

On reading this I got to the point where Phase Linear amps were mentioned and I thought who else apart from me uses these?

I then finished reading and realised that they all came from the same source ?

My Daughter has my ex hifi which is a pair of Tannoy Devon's and a Phase Linear 400. The 400 has been recently retired as because of its age I can't trust it not to go DC ? which would ruin a rather nice pair of speakers ?

I just love all the BS people come out with about music systems, hifi, loudspeakers, sound bars and so on.

I very rarely hear anything said about the acoustics of the space into which the music is played. I would suggest that is probably the most important factor in the sound you hear.

I don't expect the boat to sound like a concert hall. A Roberts DAB is fine.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I don't expect the boat to sound like a concert hall.

Having sworn by soundbars, and single speakers like the Bose Soundlink Mini, I now have a system which does sound pretty close to a concert hall. So... from now on, I do expect the boat to sound like a concert hall.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

And the special mat to put your cd player on

Don't forget to hang triangular bits of plastic around your boat/room to eliminate static. And ensue all power cables have a figure of eight knot in them to eliminate something else. Or just listen and enjoy!

I rejoice that I have a complete tin ear. Can't tell the difference between MP3, CD, vinyl, or wax cylinders. Can't tell oxygen free copper wires from normal, or a good set of speakers from bad. I can just listen too and enjoy music from any old bit of equipment. Must have saved me a fortune over the years!

Jen

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Last week bought a JBL Xtreme 3. There were a few requirements that might be relevant for others: is it easy to take to the stern for music whilst cruising; does it provide bluetooth connectivity (Google Home doesn't, so is useless if the internet connectivity is bad); and does it have a long lasting battery. In addition to the usual 'does it sound good'.

For sound, I just looked at this site, which I thought was very handy for a non-audiophile: https://www.dxomark.com/jbl-xtreme-3-speaker-review-impactful-dynamics-for-outdoor-partying/

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I wonder how many people playing sound systems for "outdoor partying" realise they should be paying the artists for the right to broadcast their work?

How do you know? Most probably are paying via Spotify/iTunes etc. Whether these streaming services pay the artists a fair return for their efforts is another subject.

14 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

How do you know? Most probably are paying via Spotify/iTunes etc. Whether these streaming services pay the artists a fair return for their efforts is another subject.

They don't ?

21 hours ago, IanD said:

https://www.masterbuiltaudio.com/ultra-line-audio-cables

$35000 per 8 foot long speaker cable ?

Oh yes, I forgot -- plus $17000 for a mains cable... ?

Brings to mind one of my grandfather's sayings: A fool and his money are soon parted.

But as we all know, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it. 

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I wonder how many people playing sound systems for "outdoor partying" realise they should be paying the artists for the right to broadcast their work?

How does that work? If someone is intentionally a part of a gathering, there are royalties, or if they're within earshot? What constitutes a 'party'?

During the 1980's I maintained a smal fleet of courier vans,which company was next door to my workshop.  If during a quiet spell the controller would come and ask me if I wanted to do a van job for them. One of the jobs was to Polygram, Polydor records factory in Walthamstow. I had a walk around there and was shown the listening room where the Polygram big knobs went to listen to a new recording on test pressing records. I was surprised, the room was quite ordinary with an ordinary Garrard record player deck and amplifier and a pair of Cellestian speakers. I was told that this ordinary set up was similar to what most folk had at home, so why play-listen to the record on fantastically expensive high quality equipment.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Classy - just had mine serviced after 35 years (34/306)

The Quad service is good and cheap for what it is, only downside is that my 405 developed a low mains hum about six months after the service. It now has a toroidal transformer and is all the better for it?

16 hours ago, Ianws said:

Don't forget to hang triangular bits of plastic around your boat/room to eliminate static. And ensue all power cables have a figure of eight knot in them to eliminate something else. Or just listen and enjoy!

And if that doesn't work, hang mushrooms from the ceiling.

2010.09.24+-+Orange+RockCorp+-+9.jpg

29 minutes ago, bizzard said:

. I was surprised, the room was quite ordinary with an ordinary Garrard record player deck and amplifier and a pair of Cellestian speakers. I was told that this ordinary set up was similar to what most folk had at home, so why play-listen to the record on fantastically expensive high quality equipment.

Which is why most studios have Auratone speakers on the top of the desk,they are also known as grotboxes?

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And if that doesn't work, hang mushrooms from the ceiling.

2010.09.24+-+Orange+RockCorp+-+9.jpg

Which works fine for a symphony orchestra but not so well for a rock concert if you insist on having a left and right PA system.

There is a way of hanging a PA system in there that does work, I put my neck on the line years ago insisting that it was done in a certain way ( no one had done it before) and I was right, sound was excellent.?