Huawei B535 router 12 volt or 240?

Porcupine

Featured Posts

Hi, I have just bought a Huawei B535 router. It comes with a 240 plug. Should I try and change this to a 12 volt plug? They seem to sell them on eBay. Or is it fine to leave it as 240 and run the inverter. What do you guys do? Or is there an altogether better way to hook it up? 
Thanks, 

Matt 

30 minutes ago, Porcupine said:

Hi, I have just bought a Huawei B535 router. It comes with a 240 plug. Should I try and change this to a 12 volt plug? They seem to sell them on eBay. Or is it fine to leave it as 240 and run the inverter. What do you guys do? Or is there an altogether better way to hook it up? 
Thanks, 

Matt 

What is the rated input?

Its generally not a good idea to turn 12v from your batteries into 240v if the device you are running will take 12v.

The inverter will consume additional power inverting 12vdc into 240ac.

Edit, a quick check of the spec. on line suggests.

Power Supply
Power: < 12W
AC / DC Power Supply: AC: 100V - 240V 50Hz / 60Hz, DC: 12V / 1A

So if your supply is 12vdc and 1 amp that suggests you should be fine. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I have the same router to instal on our boat and I will be connecting it to a 12v circuit. I will be buying a 12v regulator/stabiliser to insert into the supply circuit just to be on the safe side since they are a lot cheaper than a new router. 

I will be using one of these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313220835322

To power my 535 on the boat.

You will also need a plug to fit the 535 a suitable cable is 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351319811869

Which if cut in half will give you two plugs.

Works well on the test bench at home but haven't yet got it on the boat due to lockdown.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Porcupine said:

Thanks, 

Matt 

It depends greatly on your boat electrics. My boat has 12 volt but is fully wired with numerous mains sockets and the quality combi is on 24/7 365 so everything onboard runs off mains. This makes life as simple as living on land but your boat does need the kit to do it with.

• 2 weeks later...