Elsan Disposal Points to Close

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are several on Facebook who are quite open that they put the solid in the bins and the liquid in the hedge row

I wonder if it was one of them who moored in front of us at Wheelock recently although he was cutting out the middleman. When I stepped off the boat with the dog he was peeing in the hedge a few feet from the boat. This was on a busy mooring with local dog walkers going past all the time. I was just glad he wasn't using the hedge for anything else. It stank  so I think he had been there for a day or so.  He just said "Good morning" as he zipped up ? 

haggis

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes it could easily be a self-pumpouter.

Remember the survey on Facebook (I think) where 80% of composting boaters said they used the elsan or the bins. But no point in going over old news, and assuming that those you know are typical of the whole 'breed'.

Remember - Even Dr Bob said  although he used a composting bin whilst in the marina, when he was 'out and about' he would be using C&RT (Biffa) bins.

So, not everyone you know does it properly. You are one of the minority who have available land, and compost properly.

True I get the compost from the other boaters as its very usable, they put the veg matter in it like I do so once on the heap it starts composting straight away, it won't be used for 3 years though 

• Happy 1

I have mentioned elsewhere here that my first canal holiday, in 1976, was as part of a group that hired both of Black Prince's boats when it first started up. One had two sea-type toilets that pumped stuff out of the bottom into the cut. The other had two Elsans, and came with a shovel for use when no sanitary station was available. In that event we were instructed to dig a hole in a convenient canalside location and bury the contents. 1976 being the year of the drought with severely-limited lock opening hours, we actually did this, being stuck in a pound with no sanitary station, but a convenient towpath-side field,  when both toilets filled up. 

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I have mentioned elsewhere here that my first canal holiday, in 1976, was as part of a group that hired both of Black Prince's boats when it first started up. One had two sea-type toilets that pumped stuff out of the bottom into the cut. The other had two Elsans, and came with a shovel for use when no sanitary station was available. In that event we were instructed to dig a hole in a convenient canalside location and bury the contents. 1976 being the year of the drought with severely-limited lock opening hours, we actually did this, being stuck in a pound with no sanitary station, but a convenient towpath-side field,  when both toilets filled up. 

We always used to carry a spade, when did the practice stop or has it? Around 76/78 we moored in the garden of the lockhouse at the end of the Stort by permission of the lock keeper. BW as then was did not pay him a lot but then I never remember him doing much work in return, nor had BW bothered to provide a septic tank for his house. His toilet was an elsan and the contents were buried in his rose garden. He did grow fine roses.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

We always used to carry a spade, when did the practice stop or has it? Around 76/78 we moored in the garden of the lockhouse at the end of the Stort by permission of the lock keeper. BW as then was did not pay him a lot but then I never remember him doing much work in return, nor had BW bothered to provide a septic tank for his house. His toilet was an elsan and the contents were buried in his rose garden. He did grow fine roses.

The world changes, where I lived as a kid the communal septic tank got emptied every Thursday, on Wednesday it was overflowing, running down the unmade loke, crossing the road and topping up the dyke opposite. 1950s and this was considered acceptable.

• Horror 1

• 7 months later...
On 09/03/2021 at 08:46, doratheexplorer said:

Fazeley services gone.

Minworth services gone.

Stratford services uncertain future.

Other older services long gone - Kings Norton, Tividale etc.

Fazeley has been replaced by services at the whim of the marina, for now.

A more general stripping back of facilities - remember laundry facilities, any of those left?

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Have the Minworth services been reinstated? CRT seem to think they have been.

On 20/06/2021 at 09:50, peterboat said:

Or it could be a self pump out Alan! All the composting toilet owners I know do it properly you are assuming that they don't. I have seen elsan contents emptied in hedge bottoms and in rivers and canals! 

Not a self pump out using the elsan  at Hillmorton. It's impossible

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wandering snail said:

I've just heard from CRT that Minworth facilities aren't owned by them so maybe why there's no bins.

There hasn't been a bin there for about 5 years, it use to be accessed for emptying via the yard on the offside. I have no idea about the service block