Jump to content

Elsan Disposal Points to Close


Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Looks to me like sometime between June and September, the sani station has been restored.  This is good news.  Perhaps the bins are happening now too?

I have just checked my photos, and it 3rd August when I tried it and it was not in use, so after then.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Fazeley services gone.

Minworth services gone.

Stratford services uncertain future.

Other older services long gone - Kings Norton, Tividale etc.

 

Fazeley has been replaced by services at the whim of the marina, for now.

 

A more general stripping back of facilities - remember laundry facilities, any of those left?

 

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

 

Fazeley is a good example as the marina have restricted access to their services during Covid to just Saturday and Tuesday. Prime example of why privatisation of services is a bad idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

Fazeley is a good example as the marina have restricted access to their services during Covid to just Saturday and Tuesday. Prime example of why privatisation of services is a bad idea.

Blasphemy to some of your readers...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 09/03/2021 at 14:44, doratheexplorer said:

Looks to me like sometime between June and September, the sani station has been restored.  This is good news.  Perhaps the bins are happening now too?

I checked the Elsan last time I passed, about a month ago. no toilet, can't remember if I checked the tap. The bottom paddle near side of the lock still doesn't do anything, I have reported that 2 years running so didn't bother again, they probably checked the rack and said it OK

 

On 09/03/2021 at 14:44, doratheexplorer said:

Looks to me like sometime between June and September, the sani station has been restored.  This is good news.  Perhaps the bins are happening now too?

 

On 09/03/2021 at 14:44, doratheexplorer said:

Looks to me like sometime between June and September, the sani station has been restored.  This is good news.  Perhaps the bins are happening now too?

I checked the Elsan last time I passed, about a month ago. no toilet, can't remember if I checked the tap. The bottom paddle near side of the lock still doesn't do anything, I have reported that 2 years running so didn't bother again, they probably checked the rack and said it OK

 

On 09/03/2021 at 14:44, doratheexplorer said:

Looks to me like sometime between June and September, the sani station has been restored.  This is good news.  Perhaps the bins are happening now too?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/03/2021 at 10:32, IanD said:

 

 

I like to think that most people on this forum are canal enthusiasts, and would very much like them to be better than they are. Many think CaRT are doing a terrible job while ignoring the realities of what they are trying to do given an inadequate amount of money -- it's like blaming immigrants for the low-paid zero-hours poor-benefits no-housing overloaded-NHS situation, when the real culprit is government policy. Yes there's no doubt that CaRT seem to make some dumb decisions, but the simple fact is they haven't got enough money today to properly maintain a canal system which is hundreds of years old, and no amount of complaining about blue signs or cyclists is going to fix that.

 

 

I don't know why you keep defending crt, I know they have to cater for customers who want diametrically opposed  outcomes, but their prefered solution generally appears to be to p**s everyone off equally and waste shedloads of money. You only have to look at the independent navigations, such as Wey, Avon, Chelmer to see how much better it could be on an even more limited budget.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been on EA waters for a bit now and whilst they've obviously paid a lot more attention to the locks (those floods aren't going to defend themselves, and look, fences for health and safety!) the CRT service provision doesn't seem that bad by comparison...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

I don't know why you keep defending crt, I know they have to cater for customers who want diametrically opposed  outcomes, but their prefered solution generally appears to be to p**s everyone off equally and waste shedloads of money. You only have to look at the independent navigations, such as Wey, Avon, Chelmer to see how much better it could be on an even more limited budget.

The river Wey is a nice example but why do you think they have a lower budget than CRT

 

One noticeable thing about the Wey, which I actually quite like, is that they have no cc ers. It's not an option. And visitors pay through the nose to use the waterway. 

 

It's well regulated. I don't know what happens if you get in there and just remain there but I suspect they have it sorted as there are lenghsmen and lengths women and some of them are pretty scary. It would be interesting to know of any enforcement procedures carried out by NT for boats illegally left on the River Wey. 

 

National Trust is not underfunded is it. 

 

CRT needs to go and be replaced by a similar model to the river Wey management ie accept no parasites and get people to pay for their housing. 

 

When this happens it will be interesting to see the effect on the second hand boat market. 

 

 

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/03/2021 at 12:54, doratheexplorer said:

Are you sure.  My experience is that the water and elsan went before the bins.  When did you last pass?

Bins went first I think. Actually it was a skip but too accessible to all. Followed by Elsan. Water still there, or was last June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, enigmatic said:

I've been on EA waters for a bit now and whilst they've obviously paid a lot more attention to the locks (those floods aren't going to defend themselves, and look, fences for health and safety!) the CRT service provision doesn't seem that bad by comparison...

 

But at least out in EA Anglian region we can dump our toilet waste in the river so who needs Sani stations ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

The river Wey is a nice example but why do you think they have a lower budget than CRT

 

One noticeable thing about the Wey, which I actually quite like, is that they have no cc ers. It's not an option. And visitors pay through the nose to use the waterway. 

 

It's well regulated. I don't know what happens if you get in there and just remain there but I suspect they have it sorted as there are lenghsmen and lengths women and some of them are pretty scary. It would be interesting to know of any enforcement procedures carried out by NT for boats illegally left on the River Wey. 

 

National Trust is not underfunded is it. 

 

CRT needs to go and be replaced by a similar model to the river Wey management ie accept no parasites and get people to pay for their housing. 

 

When this happens it will be interesting to see the effect on the second hand boat market. 

 

 

 

I am sure I read somewhere that the operating costs were entirely financed from boat income. Obviously rivers cost less to run than canals but even a comparison with CRT Rivers only would I am sure be favourable to the trust. There management style with lengthsmen retained and lock cottages kept works well. CRT would need a change in the law which would now be impossible to ban ccers but there is a lot they could do to give fair access to all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

The river Wey is a nice example but why do you think they have a lower budget than CRT

 

One noticeable thing about the Wey, which I actually quite like, is that they have no cc ers. It's not an option. And visitors pay through the nose to use the waterway. 

 

It's well regulated. I don't know what happens if you get in there and just remain there but I suspect they have it sorted as there are lenghsmen and lengths women and some of them are pretty scary. It would be interesting to know of any enforcement procedures carried out by NT for boats illegally left on the River Wey. 

 

National Trust is not underfunded is it. 

 

CRT needs to go and be replaced by a similar model to the river Wey management ie accept no parasites and get people to pay for their housing. 

 

When this happens it will be interesting to see the effect on the second hand boat market. 

 

 

 

It is easy to police a cul-de-sac.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Loddon said:

But at least out in EA Anglian region we can dump our toilet waste in the river so who needs Sani stations ?

Do you think that is a good thing? I don't see it as a positive , polluting a waterway.

 

haggis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, haggis said:

Do you think that is a good thing? I don't see it as a positive , polluting a waterway.

 

haggis

I think humour is a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, haggis said:

Do you think that is a good thing? I don't see it as a positive , polluting a waterway.

 

haggis

I didn't comment one way or the other, just stated what the regulations say.

Comparitively there are so few boats down here and even less with sea toilets I dont see it as a problem.

Far more partially treated sewage from sewage plants  comes into the rivers and canals in times of heavy rain than comes out of boats.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I didn't comment one way or the other, just stated what the regulations say.

Comparitively there are so few boats down here and even less with sea toilets I dont see it as a problem.

Far more partially treated sewage from sewage plants  comes into the rivers and canals in times of heavy rain than comes out of boats.

 

After a 'bit' of rain, the River Trent just downstream of Stoke Bardolph Sewage works discharge point can be 'quite interesting'. It appears that at time of lots of water there is a by-pass system and the sewage runs straight into the River and never sees the sewage works.

 

The same is regularly reported as happening on the Thames, but, the volumes are many, many times larger than on the Trent.

 

A damning BBC documentary has claimed tonnes of raw sewage is being dumped into the Thames.

Panorama's The River Pollution Scandal focused on a number of water companies across the country who it said were illegally dumping untreated sewage into rivers.

Thames Water’s Mogden Treatment Works dumped sewage into the river 43 days last year, the programme claimed.

Homes in Isleworth were recently flooded as raw sewage spilled from the river. As we reported, Thames Water vowed to carry out a proper clean-up.

Raw sewage is sent into rivers through storm overflows which can be activated when water levels, usually caused by heavy rainfall, are exceptionally high.

But the programme claimed many water companies, including Thames Water, were activating them days on end sending millions of litres of untreated sewage into rivers.

 

Tonnes of raw sewage pumped into Thames claims new BBC documentary | twickenham.nub.news

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having spent the past few weeks on the EA waters of the Nene and Great Ouse I have been surprised at the standard of the locks, paddles and general maintenance. C&RT could do a lot better even though I accept money is tight (except for blue signs). No wonder those who were once advocating C&RT take over EA navigations changed their minds.  Maybe we C&RT boaters would be better off if the reverse were to happen. 

  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

Any boats with composting toilets recently passed there ?

.... but its not encouraging any using composting to switch back to cassette, which lets face it is the only practical option for most composters. This would make more switch to composting and be done with it i would think - sod the consequences - be midnight bin lurkers!!

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

.... but its not encouraging any using composting to switch back to cassette, which lets face it is the only practical option for most composters. This would make more switch to composting and be done with it i would think - sod the consequences - be midnight bin lurkers!!

 

 

 

Whilst this particular closure may well be nothing to do with composters filling the elsan with sawdust or cat litter, it is not unknown.

 

Elsans are not designed for receipt of a bucket full of dry(ish) matter so it is the composters themselves that are making the lives of other boaters more difficult.

 

I can imagine the day coming when composting toilets become banned and subject to the BSS inspection (as per sea-toilets)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

 

Whilst this particular closure may well be nothing to do with composters filling the elsan with sawdust or cat litter, it is not unknown.

 

Elsans are not designed for receipt of a bucket full of dry(ish) matter so it is the composters themselves that are making the lives of other boaters more difficult.

 

I can imagine the day coming when composting toilets become banned and subject to the BSS inspection (as per sea-toilets)

Or it could be a self pump out Alan! All the composting toilet owners I know do it properly you are assuming that they don't. I have seen elsan contents emptied in hedge bottoms and in rivers and canals! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Or it could be a self pump out Alan! All the composting toilet owners I know do it properly you are assuming that they don't. I have seen elsan contents emptied in hedge bottoms and in rivers and canals! 

 

 

 

Yes it could easily be a self-pumpouter.

 

Remember the survey on Facebook (I think) where 80% of composting boaters said they used the elsan or the bins. But no point in going over old news, and assuming that those you know are typical of the whole 'breed'.

 

Remember - Even Dr Bob said  although he used a composting bin whilst in the marina, when he was 'out and about' he would be using C&RT (Biffa) bins.

So, not everyone you know does it properly. You are one of the minority who have available land, and compost properly.

 

 

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Or it could be a self pump out Alan! All the composting toilet owners I know do it properly you are assuming that they don't. I have seen elsan contents emptied in hedge bottoms and in rivers and canals! 

There are several on Facebook who are quite open that they put the solid in the bins and the liquid in the hedge row

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.