Elsan Disposal Points to Close

Featured Posts

I have just been told by a very fed-up CRT contractor that Elsan disposal points that are not part of an area offering other facilities, such as rubbish disposal / water point, will be closed down.  Apparently one at Braunston is on the closure list.  Has anyone else heard this?

28 minutes ago, canalboat said:

I have just been told by a very fed-up CRT contractor that Elsan disposal points that are not part of an area offering other facilities, such as rubbish disposal / water point, will be closed down.  Apparently one at Braunston is on the closure list.  Has anyone else heard this?

I presume you mean the one between the A45 and the stop house?  That does have a water point as well as the elsan, and logically I think of it as part of the services at the stop house where there is also water and rubish disposal.  It also services the long term moorings there.  However it is right on the towpath, so perhaps not the best location, and if they provided a new elsan is the yard where the bins are at the stop house that would be a good way forward.

The towpath elsan at Braunston is  easier to use than the one on the turn, -you can get alongside, for a start, and much better if you are heading toward Napton.  Neither has  a particularly good record for availability though.

Since the stop house is rumoured to be for sale/to let I doubt CaRT are thinking of installing a new elsan point there.  Be a poor place anyway as there is usually a queue for water which would hinder access to an elsan.  More likely the rubbish point will go as a consequence of any sale/lease.

N

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I presume you mean the one between the A45 and the stop house?    However it is right on the towpath, so perhaps not the best location, and if they provided a new elsan is the yard where the bins are at the stop house that would be a good way forward.

I would think that those bins and maybe even  tap will go when the property is sold......

Good point about the stop house possibly being sold.  If there was to be only elsan point in Braunston that is going to be an issue, there is no other elsan in the area, and it is one of the busiest parts of the network.  Not counting the number of times one or other of the two are out of action.

Having a pumpout has allowed us to have a short cruise every month throughout lockdown, not worry about coming into contact with anyone elses poo or aerosols in a packed elsan, and not having to worry about trying to park at either Gayton or Norton Junction(nearest CRT elsans)...both areas with extremely limited car parking and many liveaboard boaters cars.

Smugly satisfied.

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Having a pumpout has allowed us to have a short cruise every month throughout lockdown, not worry about coming into contact with anyone elses poo or aerosols in a packed elsan, and not having to worry about trying to park at either Gayton or Norton Junction(nearest CRT elsans)...both areas with extremely limited car parking and many liveaboard boaters cars.

Smugly satisfied.

But just think how smug you could be if you had a composting toilet and could manage for 12 months >?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I would think that those bins and maybe even  tap will go when the property is sold......

Just like the ones at Peel Wharf on the Coventry when they sold off the CRT offices there.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Having a pumpout has allowed us to have a short cruise every month throughout lockdown,

If you had a cassette toilet you would have a good excuse for a weekly cruise?  

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Last time I used those bins they were full of rats, and I mean full, with others scampering away as I opened lid, quite a fright.

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

So, does this look like any CaRT services are 'vulnerable' and subject to closure or are these quite isolated and planned closures for a specific reason?

...and in what way do CART feel that such closures will improve the waterways for their users?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

...and in what way do CART feel that such closures will improve the waterways for their users?

maybe people travelling further so making full use of the system as they push their boats to 5mph with crossed legs?  :)

Edited by robtheplod

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Barbridge water point and bins gone, Elsan at the Llangollen junction closed.

Fazeley services gone.

Minworth services gone.

Stratford services uncertain future.

Other older services long gone - Kings Norton, Tividale etc.

Fazeley has been replaced by services at the whim of the marina, for now.

A more general stripping back of facilities - remember laundry facilities, any of those left?

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Just now, peterboat said:

Clearly its a plan to make us all go the composting toilet route. In reality I can go out for 6 months with my toilet system, anyway sort of scuppers Ians argument against them as it might be all thats left

Indeed, its hardly conducive to discouraging their use. 

A clear lack of strategic thinking.