what steps

haza

Featured Posts

hi every one ,having had my tank cleaned and diesel polished .what  would be some of the best ways to prevent water getting in there .as like most i use jerry cans and the like to fetch diesel .i have two fine pieces of mesh in my tun dish .but that wont stop water ,thanks in advance stay safe 

• Greenie 1

I'm sure you'll get expert replies. My reply is simply to thank you for reminding me of the word "tundish", which I don't think I have heard since my (Derbyshire) parents used it. I assume you mean a funnel?

23 minutes ago, haza said:

hi every one ,having had my tank cleaned and diesel polished .what  would be some of the best ways to prevent water getting in there .as like most i use jerry cans and the like to fetch diesel .i have two fine pieces of mesh in my tun dish .but that wont stop water ,thanks in advance stay safe 

Often condensation is the issue. And the best way to reduce that is keep your tank filled as full as poss. and top up regularly.

Once you have done it once and got over the initial cost of a full tank it's just as cheap then to regularly top up.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Make sure you have a good seal in the filler cap .

Make sure that splashing water (rain, lock piddlers etc.) cannot enter via the vent.

Check the diesel you put in has no obvious water. Draw a sample onto a clear glass tube or jam jar.  It will be slightly cloudy if there is gross water contamination.  Or check it with a Shell water detector kit.

Dip the tank with water detecting paste about once every three months.

N

thanks every one .yes athy funnel lol .i have water separator model cav 7111/296  the double one ,diesel cap is fine .i also keep tank topped up ,so i think i have it covered maybe ,thanks

One of these days I will get a big glass jar, put a litre or so of diesel in it, seal it apart from a little breather hole, stick it by the fuel tank or somewhere damp and horrible and see if it gathers condensation. Apart from possibly a little misting from the initial air that is in there I bet it doesn't. 

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

Make sure you have a good seal in the filler cap .

Make sure that splashing water (rain, lock piddlers etc.) cannot enter via the vent.

Check the diesel you put in has no obvious water. Draw a sample onto a clear glass tube or jam jar.  It will be slightly cloudy if there is gross water contamination.  Or check it with a Shell water detector kit.

Dip the tank with water detecting paste about once every three months.

N

Lock piddlers? :...is this a Derbyshire habit?

I put some grease on my brass filler cap, , it might be causing gasket to deteriorate.