Cropredy festival

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

We too could hear it from the boat, but the sound clashes with the music from the Brasenose's fringe event, as we're moored between the two - though, with the pub in new hands, there's no guarantee they'll have one this year.

We have a pre cropredy bash here the night before it starts with music and camping ( ticket only ) it will be a great evening and will be rammed if any boaters are in the area an want a good time pm me......did I word that correctly :giggles:

Adderbury plenty of moorings across and a couple on site if you pre book ( very quickly )

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think one of the Fairports lives at Adderbury, though I don't know whether he comes to The Pig Place to buy pork products - he may be a vegetarian.

Believe it or not we do get people coming to a pig farm and asking for vegetarian nonsense. There are veg options on the menu but we refuse to sell pretend sausages or bacon. 

11 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Oh dear - looks like a long reach of the Oxenford to avoid. Wall to wall badly moored boats on both sides of the cut from the pig place to Banbury....

Cropredy is about four miles further up than Banbury, but it does indeed get very crowded for about a mile each way, from a couple of weeks or so before the festival. I get the impression that it's not quite as bad since the new marina opened, as some festival-bound people take short-term moorings there.

What it will be like this year, who knows: many bods may be put off by the lingering spectre of corona virus, feeling that in a field with 10,000 other people is not a wise place to be.

Edited by Athy

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We are moored, for at least the next twenty minutes, opposite a big field that is packed with tents and inhabitants during the festival. There’s a couple of cows only, presently.

Yes, some of the management can be unfriendly at times.

On a more serious note, Mrs. Athy and I sometimes take a walk down to the festival site out of season. Not only is the transformation back to a bit of typical middle England remarkable, but it's hard to tell where the festival has been, so completely has it all reverted to farmland.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Cropredy is about four miles further up than Banbury, but it does indeed get very crowded for about a mile each way, from a couple of weeks or so before the festival. I get the impression that it's not quite as bad since the new marina opened, as some festival-bound people take short-term moorings there.

What it will be like this year, who knows: many bods may be put off by the lingering spectre of corona virus, feeling that in a field with 10,000 other people is not a wise place to be.

Whoops - geography was not one of my better subjects and mot having used the boat since March 2020, I've forgotten what's where...

Perhaps I should have said "from pp through Banbury and beyond Cropredy.

What I do remember is that most boats were moored below a certain purple boat. After the village festival goers disappear rapidly and one can cruise as normal

59 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

What I do remember is that most boats were moored below a certain purple boat. After the village festival goers disappear rapidly and one can cruise as normal

Below and above! They usually stretch up to the marina. But below us there are two sections which are long-term moorings anyway, though some LT moorers who don't like the festival clear off and lend their spaces to other boats for a few days.

Quite a lot do indeed trundle off on the Sunday. I generally do my volly-lockie bit on that day to try and help get them through the lock quickly, as there can be five or six waiting and there's nowhere for them to moor. Some of the liveaboards stay around for a while, as do boats whose owners have to get back to work and who come and collect their boats the following weekend. It's usually early September before things really get back to normal.

The (now numerous) camping field do empty rapidly, though the local lanes along which they must escape do not! What surprises me is that some campers just leave their tents there. Did they die over the weekend? Are they so hung-over on Sunday that the task of striking a tent and folding it correctly to put back in its bag is beyond them? I have no idea, but it does seem to be odd behaviour.

Edited by Athy

I wonder if having had the Vax will be made a condition of entry like it will be at some other festivals this summer?

Should work fine there as it's an "older" crowd.

To me it seems sensible that large gatherings of people should only be allowed if the attendees have been vaccinated. It should lessen the possibility of any spread.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I wonder if having had the Vax will be made a condition of entry like it will be at some other festivals this summer?

Should work fine there as it's an "older" crowd.

To me it seems sensible that large gatherings of people should only be allowed if the attendees have been vaccinated. It should lessen the possibility of any spread.

I guess the expectation is that most of the U.K. population will have been vaccinated by then - it is still five months away, after all. It's likely, of course, that there will be foreign visitors from countries which currently have a greater problem with corona virus than we do,

We have tickets for the festival, and hope that we are able to go, but I think it ought to be said that there is no guarantee any festivals will take place this summer yet - we must be patient.

Personally I won't be comfortable to go unless I have had my second vaccination jab at least a month beforehand.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

....     that there will be foreign visitors from countries which currently have a greater problem with corona virus than we do,

But, won't those foreign visitors have been in 10/14 days isolation and not allowed out until they show negaative for two tests ?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But, won't those foreign visitors have been in 10/14 days isolation and not allowed out until they show negaative for two tests ?

By then, who knows?

I like "negaative" which I assume refers to Dutch visitors.

This is the latest update from Fairport:

Hello Fairporters,

We are writing to you with news about Fairport’s Cropredy Convention 2021.

Following PM Boris Johnson laying out a four-step plan for easing restrictions by midsummer, we can at last give you an update on Cropredy.

If Covid-19 is under control it is hoped that large outdoor events can take place this summer so we are cautiously optimistic our festival will be staged, as planned, over the weekend of 12-14 August 2021.

Cropredy 2021 Poster

There are still a number of factors to consider of course. Firstly, the four steps are entirely dependent on getting the coronavirus under control in the UK. Secondly, we remain anxious (as do all festivals) that we are still unable take out cancellation insurance that covers Covid-19. However, the festival industry is actively lobbying the government for help in underwriting this. Hopefully we’ll have some good news in the Chancellor’s budget report next week.

The government has said that 21 June is the earliest date that restrictions will be completely lifted. As Cropredy’s dates are later in the festival season, there is every reason to hope that we can all look forward to meeting in the field in August.

Safety is our first consideration (in fact, it was the main reason we postponed back in April 2020), so there may be some mitigation measures in place and we will be liaising with the responsible authorities throughout the summer in the build-up to the festival to make Cropredy as safe as possible for our festival-goers, staff, artists and local residents.

As far as planning the festival goes, we haven't taken our foot off the pedal in our preparations for August and we remain committed to presenting a wonderful weekend of music. The fabulous line-up remains unchanged and 2020 tickets will be valid for 2021.

This has been a unique twelve months by any standards. Our hearts go out to our friends in the extended Fairport family who have lost someone close and we shall remember those who are no longer with us when we meet again in that very special field.

We look to sharing a weekend in the country with you all in August. Meanwhile take care and stay safe.

Very best wishes from Gareth and all of us at Team Cropredy!

PS Tickets for Fairport’s Cropredy Convention 2021 are still on sale...

BUY YOUR CROPREDY TICKETS

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I get the impression that it's not quite as bad since the new marina opened, as some festival-bound people take short-term moorings there.

Are they going to do that this year? I'm pretty sure they didn't last year. (may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time)

1 minute ago, Slim said:

Are they going to do that this year? I'm pretty sure they didn't last year. (may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time)

No they didn't, as there was no festival.

17 minutes ago, rgreg said:

You're not a fan of Steve Hackett? 

Although in the distant past I bought the 'Nursery Crime' L.P., I'm not a great fan of that type of progressive music, no.

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Athy..."Who?"

Now id THEY were on, I would stay till the end.