Winding in/near Berkhamsted

RebeccaM

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

We have booked to hire (government permitting!!) from Wyvern at the end of June/beginning of July.  It's a midweek break and our vague aim is Berkhamsted and back. 

I wondered if anyone had any recent experience with winding in Berkhamsted and/or in Bullbeggers Lane Winding Hole near Lock 56.  Someone has added a note on CanalPlan which suggests it could be shallow there and that it can be better to wind "at Winkwell or Berkhamsted".  Winkwell is going to be too far; there are no official winding holes marked in Berkhamsted but I assume they are referring to the wide part of the canal near the station, just after lock 53 and between Lower Kings Road Bridge and Bridge 141? 

The boat we are hiring is 'only' (!) 48ft. 

1 - Is it possible to turn at this spot (near the station) in Berkhamsted?

2 - If so, does it need any special technique... and will two novices doing probably their first ever wind be able to manage it? (Especially with the pressure of onlookers if the weather is good!)

3 - Has anyone used the Bullbeggers Lane WH lately, is it shallow? Any particular advice on it?

Our backup plan if we're running very late is to turn at Cowroast so this may all end up being academic anyway, but it would be nice to know when we get there whether continuing will commit us to going all the way past Lock 56, or whether we would be able to turn in Berkhamsted and cut the last three (six, by the time we've come back too!) locks. 

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to wind a 48ft boat in Berko, lot of locks down from Cowroast to Berko, might be worth turning at Cowroast and exploring the Wendover Arm - it's lovely tie up at the end and relax. Pubs are few and far between twix Bulbourne and Berko, the one at Cowroast is closed and semi derelict. The Aylesbury Arm is worth a visit, allow a day down from Marsworth and a day back, good views and single locks.

Hope that helps.

• Greenie 1

The winding hole at the station is very wide and deep.  The only problem is that some boats find it a very convenient place to moor - but even if there is a widebeam one there, you could still turn a 48' boat.

The one near Bulbeggars Lane can be OK, but the owner of the land might come and shout at you.  Also, the water level in that pound is a bit unpredictable.

You could probably also wind at the rear of the Esso garage, but there are frequently moored boats in the way.

Thank you both - it's good to hear it can be done in that wide spot.  We did a walk there recently along the towpath and were standing there trying to figure out for ourselves how wide it was, but as well as it being quite hard to judge, that doesn't give much idea of depths etc.  We have Aylesbury or Wendover down as "Plan B" in case of problems with the initial plan (along with a "Plan C" if we end up having to go north instead of south!).  But my husband much preferred the idea of Berko over Aylesbury, and as he's also very keen on the idea of cooking on the boat (nor are we heavy drinkers) the lack of pubs will hopefully not be an issue.  

Edited by RebeccaM
Missed a bracket!

Every boat should have an infrequent measuring device, I have a Bosch one which is very good, though I have not tried it in strong sunshine, I just have to finish designing the drone to carry it a little ahead of the boat.  It can only measure the surface size of a winding hole.  The MKII version will also trawl the depth.

I'd agree that the two arms have more to offer than the many locks to Berko, but if you end up there the turn is straightforward, just ensure that the stern is on the park side as there is plenty of silt and other junk on the station side.

23 hours ago, BWM said:

I'd agree that the two arms have more to offer than the many locks to Berko, but if you end up there the turn is straightforward, just ensure that the stern is on the park side as there is plenty of silt and other junk on the station side.

Thanks - that's useful to know!

On 08/03/2021 at 00:33, David Mack said:

You can measure the size of a winding hole using the ruler tool in Google Earth.

Doesn't tell you if its deep enough though.

Yes, that's more my concern... we have walked along there before and eyeballed it but unless the water is incredibly clear that's not much help with what may be lurking below. 

• Happy 1

One thing i should have mentioned about the Aylesbury arm as you said it may be a back up option, is that it's the only route that leaves the train tracks and main roads behind. A very easy journey, we always found it an antidote to the tough locks on the main line and very picturesque right up until you reach the edge of town.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

One thing i should have mentioned about the Aylesbury arm as you said it may be a back up option, is that it's the only route that leaves the train tracks and main roads behind. A very easy journey, we always found it an antidote to the tough locks on the main line and very picturesque right up until you reach the edge of town.

Although if you need train access Aylesbury Station is a short walk from Aylesbury Basin.

On 09/03/2021 at 12:59, David Mack said:

Although if you need train access Aylesbury Station is a short walk from Aylesbury Basin.

We always used to find it nice to head down there, as the main line runs parallel with the cut for much of the journey travelling south to Marsworth - along with the housing and light industrial stuff. 

On 09/03/2021 at 11:57, matty40s said:

I've wound Old Friends at the station with a boat moored on the bank.....its probably 80 feet wide at the right spot as I only slid along him with my rear fender.

I don't know how long "Old Friends" is, but I've winded my 70ft boat by the station in Berkhamsted.

• Greenie 1

Interestingly we went for a walk along there today and passed this information board near bridge 141 referring to the place.... but this just raises the question of why it's not shown on maps as being a winding hole?  

bh_resized5.jpg.c2f52b2341c40accd3b5931d64f8c0ec.jpg