Fresh water pump problem

Featured Posts

Hi all

I've not been living on boat and found that back cabin bilge was full of water when I last went on board, about 2 weeks ago. Batteries were completely drained and fresh water tank was empty so assumed a leak on fresh water pipes which led to pump pumping till dry and draining fresh tank and batteries. 

I managed to get batteries charged again but removing fuse for fresh water pump and filled up fresh water tank but to see where leak is I need to get water to circulate through system. When I put fuse for pump back in, it starts pumping but don't think its managing to get pressure up to required level as nothing comes out taps or shower. Managed to get flush on toilet but this is at lower level obviously. Looking at the pump, it appears to be leaking along one the seals (pic attached) which I presume is preventing required pressure to pump water to taps?

I'm not sure this is the actual leak as that cupboard floor did not appear to be very wet and seeping is very slow. You see drips on right hand side towards bottom of pump and there are seeping out the seal just above. Is this pump repairable and would the pumping dry of fresh water tank have damaged it? Any advice gratefully appreciated?

pump.jpg.30d3b052345666607707d131256f4ae1.jpg

Sometimes my own system gets air locked if the tank runs dry, I can get it to work by sucking the kitchen tap - just happens to be easiest - rewarded with a mouth full of grit and stuff but it works. Almost anything is repairable given luck, tape, sealant and effort and well worth a try, I doubt its damaged but you might find a bigger leak somewhere else and it might take a while to find it as it will be in the most awkward place possible. Good luck.

If you pull or push the blue tabs the fitting will pull out of the pump. Its sealed by O rings and the one on the left looks as if it not in straight. That may cause a leak.  Also you need something more flexible that those plastic pipes running up to the pump.  Often flexible tap connectors are used.

If the pump is leaking from the pump body, then the chances of successful repair are low. Some have succeeded, most do not. I treat these pumps as a consumable. When you get a replacement, match the shut off pressure and flow rate. Living on a boat seems to give around four years average life for these pumps.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If the pump is leaking from the pump body, then the chances of successful repair are low. Some have succeeded, most do not. I treat these pumps as a consumable. When you get a replacement, match the shut off pressure and flow rate. Living on a boat seems to give around four years average life for these pumps.

I have failed miserably more than once, most people learn first time things dont work, others are more stubborn 

Our Flojet pump seems to last about 3 1/2 years before the diagprahm perishes and it leaks between the pump and motor. I tried to repair one once but left it too long and magnets had started to rusts so couldn't get it apart. Haven't bothered since, just make a note in diary to replace at3 years m

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for all the comments and advice. I found the leak, a joint had come loose behind some panelling. Fixed now and bilge almost dry. The water pump is fine, no terminal damage. Lesson learnt about leaving water on when not there, always the hard way! Thanks again

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, tstore said:

Hi all, thanks for all the comments and advice. I found the leak, a joint had come loose behind some panelling. Fixed now and bilge almost dry. The water pump is fine, no terminal damage. Lesson learnt about leaving water on when not there, always the hard way! Thanks again

As long as the boat is wired to allow it the easy way is to turn the battery master switches off as you leave the boat for more than a day. Also stops radios and electric fridges being inadvertently being left on.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And if you have solar, connect that through a separate breaker so you can leave it connected while everything else is turned off.

That, bilge pumps and radio memory is what I meant by if the boat is wired to allow it.