Storm Evert

JJPHG

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

F comes after E  so Federer is next.

Oh good grief, that one will go on for years and years. It'll be a really smug storm, too.

Edited by Athy

This storm has given me a nice excuse for a cruise a couple of miles further up the canal to a mooring without loads of trees overhanging the canal! Be nice to have some rain too, the muddy towpath has dried out?

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Probably as windy inland as I've known it, perhaps the local topography is forcing the gusts, but its rocking quite a bit!!

It’s been a tad breezy in the East Midlands! It’s the sort of weather that makes me glad I don’t have a load of crap on the roof! 

23 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A bit blustery, but not excessively so in Sheffield overnight.

But not, I hope, windy enough to blow down the prefabs on Arbourthorne Hill. You may not remember that, but I do, quite vividly.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

But not, I hope, windy enough to blow down the prefabs on Arbourthorne Hill. You may not remember that, but I do, quite vividly.

Well before my time, as in not even born. Just had a look at a topic in the Sheffield Forum. Destroyed in a gale in '62. Yikes! A narrrowboat is a much better place to weather a storm. The rocking soothes you to sleep, but the rain hammering on the roof wakes you up again.

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Well before my time, as in not even born. Just had a look at a topic in the Sheffield Forum. Destroyed in a gale in '62. Yikes! A narrrowboat is a much better place to weather a storm. The rocking soothes you to sleep, but the rain hammering on the roof wakes you up again.

Is that the same as the Sheffield History Forum? I take part in that. 

It was known as The Sheffield Hurricane, whether it was technically a hurricane I don't know. The firstI knew of it was when I was walking through town on my way back from King Ted's to Pond Street 'bus station to catch the 102 to Gleadless. The wind actually lifted me off the ground in Fargate and carried me towards a plate-glass window. Luckily I fell short. Overnight it blew more fiercely, so much so that my Dad drove me to school rather than letting me catch the 102 in the morning. As we went down Arbourthorne HIll we saw that nearly all the prefabs on the right had collapsed, literally like packs of cards.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Is that the same as the Sheffield History Forum? I take part in that. 

It was known as The Sheffield Hurricane, whether it was technically a hurricane I don't know. The firstI knew of it was when I was walking through town on my way back from King Ted's to Pond Street 'bus station on my way back to Gleadless. The wind actually lifted me off the ground in Fargate and carried me towards a plate-glass window. Luckily I fell short. Overnight it blew more fiercely, so much so that my Dad drove me to school rather than letting me catch the 102 in the morning. As we went down Arbourthorne HIll we saw that nearly all the prefabs on the right had collapsed, literally like packs of cards.

Yes, sorry, Sheffield History Forum. Sheffield Forum is a different thing. Sounds terrifying.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, sorry, Sheffield History Forum. Sheffield Forum is a different thing. Sounds terrifying.

You know, looking back I think I found it more exciting than terrifying. That's just the way kids react to things, I suppose.

Miss Evert is serving at about 50 m.p.h. here at the moment. Thank goodness we had our tall leylandiae trees surgeoned (probably the wrong word) last year.

19 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The boat is covered in the products of willow tree sex this morning.

MP.

More like self abuse at this time of year, the produce of sex comes later in the year  :)

touch wood it seems like we have got away with this, so far not much down or damaged, which is a good thing :)

29 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

More like self abuse at this time of year, the produce of sex comes later in the year  :)

touch wood it seems like we have got away with this, so far not much down or damaged, which is a good thing :)

You're the expert when it comes to tree fornication.

:)

MP.

• Greenie 1

I awoke about 0130 and could smell a very hot smelling fire/stove. Got up, and yep! absolutely redders. Never known it so hot. The vents were, as they always are at night, open a half turn each but the wind coming inboard down the flue had allowed the fire to burn quite happily to scorching. Shut the fire down completely and waited and waited for the temperature to drop. Had extinguishers on standby I kid you not. Not a happy place. Stayed up for nigh on five hours. The wind didn’t drop so opened just one vent, the bottom one a quarter of a turn. Waited twenty minutes to see what happed and satisfied all okay.returned to slumber. Lesson learnt, be careful if you have wind. (But I learnt that one for other reasons many moons ago.)

Lovely sunshine and blue skies now. Still a bit blustery but nowhere near as bad.

I don’t like strong winds. Just saying. 

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Horror 2

30 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I awoke about 0130 and could smell a very hot smelling fire/stove. Got up, and yep! absolutely redders. Never known it so hot. The vents were, as they always are at night, open a half turn each but the wind coming inboard down the flue had allowed the fire to burn quite happily to scorching. Shut the fire down completely and waited and waited for the temperature to drop. Had extinguishers on standby I kid you not. Not a happy place. Stayed up for nigh on five hours. The wind didn’t drop so opened just one vent, the bottom one a quarter of a turn. Waited twenty minutes to see what happed and satisfied all okay.returned to slumber. Lesson learnt, be careful if you have wind. (But I learnt that one for other reasons many moons ago.)

Lovely sunshine and blue skies now. Still a bit blustery but nowhere near as bad.

Been there myself......not last night mind you....definitely used up a life.....not nice wondering if the fit out is about to self combust despite fireboard etc...amazingly the only damage to the squirrel was a warped ashpan and the baffle plate looks like it might have got a tad warm.....

32 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I awoke about 0130 and could smell a very hot smelling fire/stove. Got up, and yep! absolutely redders. Never known it so hot. 

Had this once on one of those chinese stoves. Everything was shut and stove was roaring away. Usually I would smother it with the ash but I hadnt long lit it so there wasnt any. Got some bacofoil , folded several times and pressed into place with the poker.Worked a treat and the stove kept in for about 18 hours.

34 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Our stove was doing similar last night and that is on a house stove with a tall flue. I believe boats have been lost to fires started when the stove has run away during high winds and the boat has been unattended. Part of the problem is the proximity of wooden surfaces which are so much closer on a boat than they are allowed to be in a domestic installation. From memory in a domestic install the nearest that wood is allowed to be to the stove is something like 40cm. Lots of front cabin steps on boats are a lot closer than that when the stove is installed in the more usual location. Ours certainly were.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Our stove was doing similar last night and that is on a house stove with a tall flue. I believe boats have been lost to fires started when the stove has run away during high winds and the boat has been unattended. Part of the problem is the proximity of wooden surfaces which are so much closer on a boat than they are allowed to be in a domestic installation. From memory in a domestic install the nearest that wood is allowed to be to the stove is something like 40cm. Lots of front cabin steps on boats are a lot closer than that when the stove is installed in the more usual location. Ours certainly were.

Our steps and moveable and are moved when the stove is lit. 

2 solar panels off a boat somewhere in the depths of the marina(theyve been in the same place on the same boat for 5 years), horses running free in Roland's village at 4am, and my ash tin floated off down the cut at 4am after a particularly strong gust.

Our house chimney went up last night (I will admit we knew it was likely as it has not been swept in years and in our defence we also know the chimney is sound and well able to withstand a fire)

embers were flying well into the woods that border our land and we had a very nice cone of orange flames out the top so even though there was no risk to the house we had to put the fire out rather than letting it burn out.

we ended covering the fire with ashes and spraying them with a mist of water to send steam up the chimney, this put the chimney fire out in around 10 minutes, no mess, and after about an hour we shook the ash through the fire and let it relight (the fire not the chimney).

looking in daylight the only thing found is that the top inch of our chimney pot looks a little scorched.